Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 07:24 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,045,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Here is the skinny on Mara Salvatrucha MS-13 from a fairly reliable site on gangs in general.
Mara Salvatrucha Gang - MS-13 (http://www.knowgangs.com/gang_resources/profiles/ms13/ - broken link)

We are not the only nation plagued by this gang. They have also become active in Spain where i have family in the National Police force. At first they confined themselves to their own people then it spread to other foreigners from Latin America living in Spain. When it finally hit the Spanish population it didn't take long for the police to crack down on them and the police in Spain as in other European nations real "crack down" with some violent`police tactics that we do not use here. Maybe we should. In any event many have left Spain or gone underground but the Spanish police are so busy with Muslim terrorists they don't have the resources to ferret out MS-13s and members of The Latin Kings. None the less it appears that the tactics used have diminished the presence of the two foreign gangs.
Remember too that on a cultural level it is simply 'unsafe' for New World Latinos (of any race) to 'talk back' to Spaniards in Spain hence in part why MS 13 etc. tend to back down when confronted.

Tough to smart talk the policia when the latter speak Spanish as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 07:32 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,741,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Remember too that on a cultural level it is simply 'unsafe' for New World Latinos (of any race) to 'talk back' to Spaniards in Spain hence in part why MS 13 etc. tend to back down when confronted.

Tough to smart talk the policia when the latter speak Spanish as well
huh?!

How to you know they "tend to back down" because they feel inferior to Spaniards? I'm not saying they don't, just wondering how you know this? I don't know very much about Latino gangs in Europe, dont hear a lot about it, so wondering how you jumped to that conclusion.

And most gangbangers in the U.S. speak English. I dont see them using Spanish to terrorize the authorities here(lots of police officers speak spanish as well).

Old 07-28-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
huh?!

How to you know they "tend to back down" because they feel inferior to Spaniards?

And most gangbangers in the U.S. speak English. I dont see them using Spanish to terrorize the authorities here(lots of police officers speak spanish as well).
Check Latin American cultural history........back in the day; the Spanish born people were at the top of the totem pole with criollos (Mexican, Argentine, etc. born White people of Spanish descent) further down and Mestizos ranking lower yet.

On a subconscious level......those attitudes still may come into play in Spain.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:44 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,741,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Check Latin American cultural history........back in the day; the Spanish born people were at the top of the totem pole with criollos (Mexican, Argentine, etc. born White people of Spanish descent) further down and Mestizos ranking lower yet.

On a subconscious level......those attitudes still may come into play in Spain.
Oh ok, you were making an assumption that MS-13 members tend to back down from Spaniards in Spain because they are of a higher social class, based on race determined status in Latin America.

I thought you were claiming that as fact.

I doubt they back down when confronted based on any Latin American caste system.
Maybe they tend to "back down" like any other criminals tend to do when "confronted" by the authorities.
But I don't think its over any inferiority complex.

I rarely see minorites "backing down when confronted" here in the U.S.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:04 PM

1,486 posts, read 2,378,824 times
There are plenty of reasons why some of the Latin Americans tend to back down in front of the Spanish police but don't back down as readily from the American police. One reason is that the American police, in spite of some incidents, don't lean on them as much as the Spanish police tend to. Some of the police practices from the Franco era are still around and if the person is a foreign criminal his chances of discovering that tend to be very good, so the word is out.

In some cases it may just be language. When i worked for the INS as an interpreter for the Mariel Cuban parole hearings I got more respect and cooperation than most the interpreters who spoke with a Latin American accent or the USPB and Deportation Agents because I spoke with a Castillian accent. You'd think it would have the opposite effect since that was the accent of those who put the Latin Americans into servitude but it wasn't the case at all. Of course I was also helped by the techniques that I learned as an interrogator with the Spanish Civil Guard. I only interpreted for the INS but it wasn't too difficult to put on the Grand Inquisitor's hat. That these people are foreigners isn't important but the fact that they are criminals is. They have to be treated sternly and you have to let them know that if the cooperate you just might and I said might, help them but if the screw with you you guarantee that you will make their lives miserable. It helps get results.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
There are plenty of reasons why some of the Latin Americans tend to back down in front of the Spanish police but don't back down as readily from the American police. One reason is that the American police, in spite of some incidents, don't lean on them as much as the Spanish police tend to. Some of the police practices from the Franco era are still around and if the person is a foreign criminal his chances of discovering that tend to be very good, so the word is out.

In some cases it may just be language. When i worked for the INS as an interpreter for the Mariel Cuban parole hearings I got more respect and cooperation than most the interpreters who spoke with a Latin American accent or the USPB and Deportation Agents because I spoke with a Castillian accent. You'd think it would have the opposite effect since that was the accent of those who put the Latin Americans into servitude but it wasn't the case at all. Of course I was also helped by the techniques that I learned as an interrogator with the Spanish Civil Guard. I only interpreted for the INS but it wasn't too difficult to put on the Grand Inquisitor's hat. That these people are foreigners isn't important but the fact that they are criminals is. They have to be treated sternly and you have to let them know that if the cooperate you just might and I said might, help them but if the screw with you you guarantee that you will make their lives miserable. It helps get results.
Much like Old School US police officers from the 1970's on back.

Some of our cops were 'pigs' back then but; there was a lot more respect for 'The Man'------and, that was from everybody no matter their race/ethnicity.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:55 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,587,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Don't know how many times those lies have been debunked.

snopes.com: Just One State - Cost of Illegals in Los Angeles
You can call that 'debunked' if you want to, but even though those figures aren't totally accurate you CAN'T deny that there is a serious problem with illegal aliens in California.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:58 AM

1,417 posts, read 1,152,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
You can call that 'debunked' if you want to, but even though those figures aren't totally accurate you CAN'T deny that there is a serious problem with illegal aliens in California.
Oh there is a problem with illegal immigration in California. It's just that I, among other people, don't "deal" with it on a daily basis. It depends on one's definition of dealing.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:40 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,065,905 times
Funny you pro-lawbreakers didn't like my snopes source stating that 70% of the babies born in the Dallas County Hospital are born to illegals.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:58 PM

16,226 posts, read 27,332,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Funny you pro-lawbreakers didn't like my snopes source stating that 70% of the babies born in the Dallas County Hospital are born to illegals.
That's funny - and I already pointed out in a previous thread that a lot of the statistics analyzed in that Snopes article were confirmed.

I was wondering when another pro-illegal poster would drag that link back out to "support" their "debunking" of the data. It just confirms it, more or less.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/3623464-post84.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration