Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 12:10 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,157,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Even the title of this article shows how ethnicity now trumps citizenship. When you 'gain citizenship' you're SUPPOSED to become AMERICAN. The sad fact is that most Mexican nationals don't want to become Americans, they just want all the rights of citizenship without all the responsibilities.

That, and the ability to influence future elections for the benefit of those Mexican nationals that will be coming after them...
Most immigrants since the U.S opened its doors came for the prospering and booming economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 12:15 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
ya BK, i love how even when these immigrant are navigating the channels of legal citizenship, IT IS STILL SUPSECT in these loony posters eyes!

dam man, some of yall really have it in for these immigrants huh? legal or otherwise!

these people are following the right path, i highly doubt they would provide fake documents to a multitude of gov't agencies (who check and re-check all documents), thus jeopardizing their chances.
someone who is legally attaining citizenship will most likely do everything by the book. at least that is what i would expect or assume.

thinking otherwise is very... telling
It's obvious that you too didn't bother to read the EXAMPLES of people FRAUDULENTLY obtaining their citizenship. Are you trying to say that this is NOT happening?

Old 07-29-2008, 12:38 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
ya BK, i love how even when these immigrant are navigating the channels of legal citizenship, IT IS STILL SUPSECT in these loony posters eyes!

dam man, some of yall really have it in for these immigrants huh? legal or otherwise!

these people are following the right path, i highly doubt they would provide fake documents to a multitude of gov't agencies (who check and re-check all documents), thus jeopardizing their chances.
someone who is legally attaining citizenship will most likely do everything by the book. at least that is what i would expect or assume.

thinking otherwise is very... telling
You want to know what's "telling"? Your entire post, considering it came way after post #9 in this thread. Did you read it? If you did, then it makes clear who the loony psoters really are.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:28 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
You want to know what's "telling"? Your entire post, considering it came way after post #9 in this thread. Did you read it? If you did, then it makes clear who the loony psoters really are.
I think its more that you guys want to believe the bad news instead of the good news. And some of you dont even think the good news is all that good.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:40 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
so by that logic i should also beleive that all cops in LA are trigger happy idiots who kill unarmed men all the time. you know there was an unarmed guy that got killed by the cops for just sitting in his car. no provocation. no nothing. dam cops.

just because i can give an example of one guy doing it, doesnt mean that translates to every one else.

wow, you guys really crack me up someitmes. i just think that no matter what some of you will say that you only have a problem with illegal immigration, but even when it is legal, you still have a problem or qualm with it. there seems to be no doing right by you guys. have some integrity brothers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post

Old 07-29-2008, 08:03 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,748,612 times
Quote:
so by that logic i should also beleive that all cops in LA are trigger happy idiots who kill unarmed men all the time. you know there was an unarmed guy that got killed by the cops for just sitting in his car. no provocation. no nothing. dam cops.

just because i can give an example of one guy doing it, doesnt mean that translates to every one else.

wow, you guys really crack me up someitmes. i just think that no matter what some of you will say that you only have a problem with illegal immigration, but even when it is legal, you still have a problem or qualm with it. there seems to be no doing right by you guys. have some integrity brothers.
You hit the nail right on the head!!

Old 07-29-2008, 08:44 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
with all respect, that statement, reflects a lot of ignorance of Mexico, since Voting started to mean something this country became something totally different.

Changes take time, just like the apple drops from the tree when the time is ripe.
With all due respect, I think if most of us wanted to live in a country like Mexico, we would be moving there. I understand Mexicans although they've had a democracy for some time, have had many problems with it.

Mexico is Mexico, the USA is the USA. We have our own history and culture and language. These people don't wish to learn any of it but they wish to decide the fate our our country when they didn't do so well with theirs -- according to them anyhow since they flee it in such large numbers.

It's one thing for those people in other countries to come here because they trully wish to be American, want to learn our values and culture, have a desire to learn our language, respect our flag. That's not the case with a great number of these people who not only believe they have a racial right to break the laws of this nation but then get out by the millions with their Mexican flags marching to demand citizenship and other rewards for having broken the law.

You have to admit there's an irony in Mexicans beating down the doors trying to get in to the USA and then boasting how they will decide this country will become a hispanic nation, just like the one they left.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:

I'll say it. I have a problem with the people of one nation claiming they have a racist right to break the immigration laws of this nation and that they have preference over all the other people of the world to come here and do as they please.

Most Mexicans and the illegal-advocates don't believe that all the people of all the world have the same right as Mexicans do to come here illegally. Most people aren't really stupid enough to believe that the USA can have unlimited immigration by hundreds of million people from African and Asian and Middle Eastern nations (or European ones except most of them aren't living in third world poverty). What they insist is that Mexicans can come here in unlimited numbers and should not be expected to follow the laws regarding immigration (or drivers licenses and insurance and felony document theft and so on).

I believe legal immigration should be reformed, as it is now, it's too partial to those with family members here who can sponsor them and don't have to provide a dime to support them. There should be less family chain migration and more employer sponsored immigration, with the employer required to provide legal wages, overtime pay, health insurance and so on.

If we need immigrants, then we should favor those immigrants who can work, who can support themselves and their families, and most important those who truly wish to become American, who have the ability and desire to learn the common language of this country and can assimilate. We need a healthy mix of immigrants -- from many nations, from many parts of the world. Preference given to those who already can fit in and function.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:55 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
With all due respect, I think if most of us wanted to live in a country like Mexico, we would be moving there. I understand Mexicans although they've had a democracy for some time, have had many problems with it.

Mexico is Mexico, the USA is the USA. We have our own history and culture and language. These people don't wish to learn any of it but they wish to decide the fate our our country when they didn't do so well with theirs -- according to them anyhow since they flee it in such large numbers.

It's one thing for those people in other countries to come here because they trully wish to be American, want to learn our values and culture, have a desire to learn our language, respect our flag. That's not the case with a great number of these people who not only believe they have a racial right to break the laws of this nation but then get out by the millions with their Mexican flags marching to demand citizenship and other rewards for having broken the law.

You have to admit there's an irony in Mexicans beating down the doors trying to get in to the USA and then boasting how they will decide this country will become a hispanic nation, just like the one they left.
It's not only ironic, I believe it's pathological. They move here due to a corrupt government with no regard for their wellbeing; and rather than show a modicum of appreciation, they disrespect us while demanding all of the rights and privileges of a legal citizen. Their sense of entitlement is astounding.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Most immigrants since the U.S opened its doors came for the prospering and booming economy.
I don't believe that's the case at all. European immigrants often left their social networks, they left "civilized" and established cities and towns in search of freedom from tyranny, freedom of religion was a big one.

When they came there were no big government programs to rely on, they had to cut forests to make farms, face harsher weather than they were used to. Some came because there was land available for homesteading -- back when the USA wasn't crowded and land was still available. Later many immigrants were brought in to be the cheap labor for the factories -- but that wasn't necessarily a positive immigration.

Then too -- don't forget the many black Americans whose ancestors did not come to prosper but who were brought in as slaves for others to prosper from their free labor.

Many immigrants came more for freedom and democracy, not just the money and welfare handouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration