Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 11:41 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,329,912 times

Advertisements

I AM APPALLED. This is an absolute injustice.
I remember when I worked in South Texas, and dealt with US Border Patrol agents 12 hours a day, they would tell me that they really cant do their job, because many told me "I can either look the other way and let the illegals go, or try to apprehend them and end up in prison like Ramos and Compean, and I could not do that to my family and children".
SHAME SHAME SHAME. I cannot believe this is America.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 11:56 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,214,257 times
You know I used to think that the people who believed that there was some plan to make a North American Union were wack jobs. More and more it looks to be true. The citizens of this country are vastly opposed to illegals. Now we have law enforcement agents being jailed for doing their job. There has been outcry from US citizen over the unjust treatment of these men. Sadly it seems like the U.S government cares more about Mexico and kissing Mexicos butt, that it does about Americans. Shame on Mexico because they most definately have a hand in this, and Shame on our elected officials.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:04 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,890,186 times
I can.. and understand why it was upheld.. they committed a crime. Did either of you get a copy of all the evidence, or do you know what you know from the coverage on the news? If so then you have no clue... and only feel this way because of what you heard to be true. I used to think the same way, I even shouted about it here on City-Data.. I was outraged by this.. but then I got a chance to read over some of the evidence and believe these two agents broke the law and then tried to cover it up.

Now before a Moderator has to come in here and tell you.. please keep this civil and local.. otherwise there is a better place for this thread..

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/

But I suspect this will get locked because this is one of those threads that will go downhill very quickly.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:13 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,524,542 times
I think it will be very interesting to see the outcome of this--many people think Bush will pardon them because they were "just doing their job" even though what they did do was against the rules of the Border Patrol and the USA--like it or not--they DID break the law
the fact that the person who informed and was the key witness was more of a criminal than they were was what turned most people's stomachs--but he was the one they shot...you can't choose your victims when you are a prosecutor...
I will be very, very surprised if Bush does pardon them--they are not Scooter Libby and they don't hold any secrets about George Bush that he needs to keep quiet--
so my opinion is they are going to jail--probably be in isolation 23 hrs a day becuse they would be killed otherwise...

Old 07-29-2008, 02:58 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,519,768 times
I think that just about evEry laWyer I have seen that looked at the evidence has said this is a miscarriage of justice ;so I thnik reading anyTHing but the full transcript of the trial maybe misleading. Especially the media or written reports that seem to be slanted one way or the other.Seems to be alot of politics involved in the reporting as always how days.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:20 PM

You can read the transcripts from the trial here, as well as more info and facts:

U.S. Attorney's Office - Western District of Texas

And this is a pretty good article on the whole scene too..

http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/txw/press_...of%20Honor.pdf

I think after you have the facts and more info on what transpired you will agree they are where they should be, behind bars.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:35 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,596,033 times
I agree with Belle. And they aren't the only ones either. This is a touchy subject for me and I hate illegal immigration so badly that I'd be one of the posters who would get this thread shut down, so I won't say anymore.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:38 PM

5,643 posts, read 15,649,868 times
This is one case I'll have to spend some time reading. There's gotta be a reason why they are still in jail. Thanks for the links muhnay. On the other hand, smugglers and aliens love border patrol agents...they get free water and a trip back home if caught. Imagine if we were as lucky in other countries! There's no fear for crossing the border here...and that's what makes it attractive. Honestly, one of the reasons I'm such a conservative is because you gotta play fire with fire on the border. There's a reason Texas is currently losing her borders and has the fastest growing illegal immigrant population in the world. It's a war already lost, imho.

On the other hand, anyone remember the Redford, Tx incident where some Marines shot and killed an innocent goat herder whom was mistaken for a drug smuggler? The government let those guys go scott-free. I'm wondering why the border patrol agents are not given at least half of this kind of sympathy.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:06 PM

I remember that case, my mother and I were discussing that the other day.. and were wondering the same thing.

I am a big supporter of not building a fence.. but rather a wall, like seen in the movie Escape from L.A. / New York. It can be billed as the great wall of America. It should also stretch across our Canadian border as well. But that is a whole other topic for another area of the forums.

Your welcome for the links.. I hope they provide a better understanding of the whole ordeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
This is one case I'll have to spend some time reading. There's gotta be a reason why they are still in jail. Thanks for the links muhnay. On the other hand, smugglers and aliens love border patrol agents...they get free water and a trip back home if caught. Imagine if we were as lucky in other countries! There's no fear for crossing the border here...and that's what makes it attractive. Honestly, one of the reasons I'm such a conservative is because you gotta play fire with fire on the border. There's a reason Texas is currently losing her borders and has the fastest growing illegal immigrant population in the world. It's a war already lost, imho.

On the other hand, anyone remember the Redford, Tx incident where some Marines shot and killed an innocent goat herder whom was mistaken for a drug smuggler? The government let those guys go scott-free. I'm wondering why the border patrol agents are not given at least half of this kind of sympathy.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:21 PM

5,643 posts, read 15,649,868 times
Weren't you a cop at one point? If anything, I value your feedback on the above case and I was interested in reading your thoughts. You were in law enforcement and the border patrol is a similar field, so I was interested to read your original thoughts.

I'm on the fence about the fence, no pun intended. I was hard-core fence at first, but I honestly dont' know if it's really needed. I'm also concerned about wildlife migration patterns. This is not like the oil pipeline in Alaska where the caribou could easily move across the land by simply crossing under the pipe.

Everything's just a big mess right now! I don't think anything will ever be done...but frankly, I don't have a solution, either. My best guess would be to impose bigger fines on the businesses that knowingly hire illegal immigrants. Huge papers will have to be drawn out to decide exactly what knowingly implies. No loopholes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration