U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2008, 05:47 AM

3,640 posts, read 4,309,484 times

Advertisements

Of course it works. Many of us have been saying forever that if they would enforce the laws that illegals would out themselves and most would go home.

http://www.koin.com/content/news/top...2-bb31fc4082d8

New License ID Rules Have Dramatic Effect

Last Update: 7/28 8:51 pm

SALEM, Ore. - In February, a new law required drivers license applicants to present a verifiable social security number.
In July, they were also required to show some proof of citizenship.

Since those ID rules went into effect, there has been a dramatic decline in the number of applicants who take the knowledge test in Spanish.

That's according to David House of the Oregon D-M-V, who says many of the would-be drivers know they could not provide those documents, so they don't apply for a license or a renewal.

There are now 65% fewer Spanish-speaking applicants than there were before the ID verifications went into effect.

Some previous INS investigations have revealed large-scale, illegal businesses involved in the manufacture or theft of social security numbers. An Immigration Service raid of a Portland manufacturing company turned up numerous stolen ID's.

But the new driver's license requirements demand more than a social security card. They also require some sort of official U.S. document like a passport, a birth certificate or immigration papers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 07:05 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,791,262 times
Who says they are going home?

Old 07-29-2008, 07:08 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
A good start, Oregon.

Now: how about mandating drivers license tests in English nationwide only?

No more Spanish, Farsi, etc.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:54 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,174,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
There are now 65% fewer Spanish-speaking applicants than there were before the ID verifications went into effect.
65%??? That's a telling figure! That's the same as saying flat out that 2/3 of the Spanish-speaking population of Oregon is there ILLEGALLY! That's a much higher percentage than the 1/2 I postulated on last week. I guess this kind of vindicates my position, doesn't it?

Old 07-29-2008, 03:19 PM

31 posts, read 111,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
A good start, Oregon.

Now: how about mandating drivers license tests in English nationwide only?

No more Spanish, Farsi, etc.
There is a Farsi one?

I had to beef up my English to be able to take the test when I first came.

Little steps can do a lot in sending illegal immigrants back home. But we have be to united, because if only Oregon does it, then the illega immigrant will reside to WA or CA or AZ.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:02 PM

23,005 posts, read 31,957,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKnan View Post
There is a Farsi one?

Little steps can do a lot in sending illegal immigrants back home. But we have be to united, because if only Oregon does it, then the illega immigrant will reside to WA or CA or AZ.
Actually the Upper South has got a nice little united thing going. KY, TN, VA (excluding the inner-suburbs of DC), some NC counties, SC, and GA have passed laws against illegals or. Now with all that unitedness going the illegals are heading North to Maryland (dont worry Benicar, MD will join in at some point) and Pennsylvania.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:05 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKnan View Post
There is a Farsi one?

Not Arizona anymore: this state is quite hostile to illegals with our employer sanctions law.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:43 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,016,557 times
Nor is Oklahoma the hospitable place it once was............

Old 07-29-2008, 08:04 PM

1,238 posts, read 2,180,741 times
It is good that states have finally taken action. We are taking our country back and kicking this filth out, one by one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration