U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 06:52 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,174,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Your wage has been affected? One of my family members has been in construction, he's actually been earning more since he first started. Although, right now there isn't much work to go around here in California.
I don't know what your family member does, but I've worked in framing and drywall since 1978. I grew up in the roofing trade, my father was a contractor. I can tell you this, the going rate for residential drywall new construction back in '78 was 5 1/2 cents a square foot. Up through the early 80's that increased to 6 1/2 cents, more if you were working above 8 feet high. In 1986 the last great amnesty passed and the Mexican Gold Rush was ON. I can assure you that Cesar Chavez was right about illegals.

It's 20 years later and Guess what?? Residential drywall new construction today pays 5 1/2 cents per square foot.

So yes, my wage has been affected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 08:31 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,734,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
You can go back and look them up if you want them, I'm not going to play your game. I doubt you would be capable of providing a reasonable answer anyway - and you can skip the sophomoric cracks too.

You might just be joining sassy as the second poster on my ignore list.

I think it is probably for the best, there is no way that I will hate a group of people because they have to leave their country to have things better for their family.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:38 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,174,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
I think it is probably for the best, there is no way that I will hate a group of people because they have to leave their country to have things better for their family.
But sassy, no one is asking you to hate anybody. I'm sorry that you think breaking the law is OK to 'have things better for their family', by that logic we can excuse almost EVERY crime ever committed.

But no one is asking you to hate...

Old 07-30-2008, 10:13 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
The problem is, they take the easy way out and never fix their own country up, which means it is just as bad or worse than before and many more demand to leave it to come here. It's a never-ending cycle.

What Mexico needs is it's people to stand up for what is right, work for reform and justice - IN MEXICO. That would benefit far more people instead of just the personal greed of individuals.

Look at the American Black Civil Rights Movement. Men like Martin Luther King who put his life on the line. Did Martin Luther King demand that Canada or Mexico take all downtrodden blacks? Did he encourage blacks to get themselves smuggled out of their own country and illegally into another country where they would then demand every kind of right and more from that other country? No.

Mexico will never improve or reform with it's people just packing up and going. That is precisely what their oligarchs want them to do, it's a form of ethnic cleansing, not so messy. Yet -- as we see, all it does is leave things bad and every year we see more deaths along the border of people trying to escape their rich nation.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:16 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,734,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The problem is, they take the easy way out and never fix their own country up, which means it is just as bad or worse than before and many more demand to leave it to come here. It's a never-ending cycle.

What Mexico needs is it's people to stand up for what is right, work for reform and justice - IN MEXICO. That would benefit far more people instead of just the personal greed of individuals.

Look at the American Black Civil Rights Movement. Men like Martin Luther King who put his life on the line. Did Martin Luther King demand that Canada or Mexico take all downtrodden blacks? Did he encourage blacks to get themselves smuggled out of their own country and illegally into another country where they would then demand every kind of right and more from that other country? No.

Mexico will never improve or reform with it's people just packing up and going. That is precisely what their oligarchs want them to do, it's a form of ethnic cleansing, not so messy. Yet -- as we see, all it does is leave things bad and every year we see more deaths along the border of people trying to escape their rich nation.
Good post,I will respond tomorrow after a good nights sleep

Old 08-05-2008, 01:58 AM

2,178 posts, read 7,799,309 times
Illegals are illegals no matter where they come from and we owe them ABSOLUTELY NOTHING except to see that they go back to wherever they came from. And the people who hire illegals to get cheap labor should be deported along with the people they hired.
If a person wants to enter this country to improve their life there are legitimate ways to do that. I have no problem with those that want to come to this country and go through the correct processes and channels in an attempt to gain a better way of life.
However, I have NO SYMPATHY for those that enter illegally just to get the freebies that our government so stupidly hands out to people who deserve nothing from us and have contributed nothing, not even having put forth the effort to enter this country legally.
The only thing we owe an illegal immigrant is passage back across the border. Either vertical, or horizontal. Don't make much difference to me.
We do owe a legal immigrant a chance to obtain any success they might be capable of aquiring.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:39 PM

1,417 posts, read 852,101 times
This tank truck reminds me of the Kite runner. When Amir, his father and other Afghans were smuggled into Pakistan inside a gas tanker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration