Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 07:54 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times

Advertisements

moderator note:

Keep the discussion ONLY THE OP

anything else will be cited as hijacking a thread and DO NOT turn it political as stated in the terms of service.
Quote:
All posts unrelated to local matters will be deleted or moved. Threads dealing with controversial topics that often degenerate into flame wars, such as politics or religion, may be moved, closed, or deleted by moderators at their discretion without any warning to the participants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 08:04 PM

392 posts, read 1,183,454 times
Sorry, Sunny, you can delete all my posts if you wish.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:06 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanRoadGirl View Post
Sorry, Sunny, you can delete all my posts if you wish.
Your first post was very relevant, your second merely offered a needed education to icartp--that's all.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:17 PM

109 posts, read 397,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icartp View Post
how soon we forget. Didn't many Cuban illegal immigrants got a free ride when they were coming in boat loads. They were allowed to stay because they were coming from a "communist" country. Remenber the movie "Scar Face", Fidel Castro sent a bunch of criminals to the U.S and we gladly accepted them without any argument so Castro can look bad. Preferential treatment, its okay for some and not okay for others. If only we were consistant with this whole thing there would be no problem...
How True!!!!!

Old 07-30-2008, 05:49 AM

158 posts, read 244,372 times
Educate me, "Americanroadgirl" admitted to the double standards in her post, she agreed with me by mentioning how the Haitians were treated. They too were political refugees fleeing a hostile government, and they were sent back. So there is no need to educate me because I am right. I was simply pointing out the double standards and the need to be consistant with our immigration policy. If anybody needs to be educated its you because obviously your knowledge of the topic is very limited. Our immigration woes didn't start with the Mexicans, this country was built on the backs of "immigrants". It is a fact, some people are allowed to come here illegally and others are treated with disdain and are not allowed the same opportunities as others. Just be consistant. My point is well taken by "Roanokers". "Carolinaguy" are you the "knower of all things", LOL,
If you want to educate someone why not educate "Newcharlottan" and explain what is meant by "preferential treatment"
A little education for you "Americanroadgirl", those Haitian refugees were not only locked up while their cases were being reviewed, they were sent back home because they were not welcomed here. Remember what "Gantanamo Bay" was used for before Iraqui terrorists were kept there. That's right, the Haitians were kept there as prisonners, and they were all sent back eventually, proof of the double standards

Last edited by icartp; 07-30-2008 at 07:25 AM..

Old 07-30-2008, 06:25 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
This is good. But illegals would not be here if people in the Chharlotte area did not hire them. Without jobs, no one would stay.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:35 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,449,764 times
When there are jobs no ones wants, they will scoop them up. 4-5 dollar/hr here is ten times better than what they are making in per hour in their native countries.

Coming from Miami, the only illegals allowed to stay are from cuba since they are fleeing a communist regime. A chunk of people I know hope to return some day when the government restructures. I can't say the same about other illegals coming in. Haitians risk life and limb to come for a better life since most of haiti is poor. Since they are not fleeing because of communism, if caught, they get scooped up and deported. Same with those from other islands. I personally think that if people coming to the country they should be forced to do it the legal way like ancestors coming through ellis island. If they want to be here, they should pay taxes like the rest of us.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:41 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
When there are jobs no ones wants, they will scoop them up. 4-5 dollar/hr here is ten times better than what they are making in per hour in their native countries.

Coming from Miami, the only illegals allowed to stay are from cuba since they are fleeing a communist regime. A chunk of people I know hope to return some day when the government restructures. I can't say the same about other illegals coming in. Haitians risk life and limb to come for a better life since most of haiti is poor. Since they are not fleeing because of communism, if caught, they get scooped up and deported. Same with those from other islands. I personally think that if people coming to the country they should be forced to do it the legal way like ancestors coming through ellis island. If they want to be here, they should pay taxes like the rest of us.
Amen!

Old 07-30-2008, 07:09 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
I come from Miami-born and raised and don't even get me started on the whole Cuban thing.

ANYWAY back to the original topic- I believe if you are going to come to this country to try to better your life, you need to assimilate. That means getting citizenship, learning English and playing by the rules. IF you can't do that, then you need to go back to where you came from. Whether your Cuban, Haitian or Mexican or Martian.

Now that also being said, I don't believe this $4/5 an hour crap. I have customers come in all day that are mexican that pay cash for $200 (with brand new hundreds) worth of clothes or even a $5 shirt with a $100 bill. Most don't speak English but some do. However, they are more polite than most of the other races I encounter.

I don't believe that we should foot the bill for other people for a free ride when the rest of us have worked hard to get where we are at.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:11 AM

158 posts, read 244,372 times
Believe it or not I agree with you "Ncopuss99", everyone coming here should do it legally. I was just responding to the "pretenders", the people who pretend they know everything. Not all Cubans came here legally, many were offered "preferential treatment' because they came from a communist country and I don't think many of them will return if the Cuban government changes. Are you kidding me, Cuba is just as poor the rest of these islands in the caribbean, don't think that Haiti is the only poor country in the western hemisphere. Haitians were also fleeing "POLITICAL PERSECUTION" because of a "HOSTILE GOVERNMENT", NOT JUST POVERTY and we sent them all back. Yes most of Cuba is just as poor and given the chance many of those Cuban "immigrants" who are here will stay right here in the good old U.S. of A. Don't kid yourself. I guess then if Mexico was to adopt a communist ideology all those Mexicans that "Carolinaguy" look upon with disdain will suddenly be welcomed, thus the double standards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration