U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:26 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,203,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by icartp View Post
Believe it or not I agree with you "Ncopuss99", everyone coming here should do it legally. I was just responding to the "pretenders", the people who pretend they know everything. Not all Cubans came here legally, many were offered "preferential treatment' because they came from a communist country and I don't think many of them will return if the Cuban government changes. Are you kidding me, Cuba is just as poor the rest of these islands in the caribbean, don't think that Haiti is the only poor country in the western hemisphere. Haitians were also fleeing "POLITICAL PERSECUTION" because of a "HOSTILE GOVERNMENT", NOT JUST POVERTY and we sent them all back. Yes most of Cuba is just as poor and given the chance many of those Cuban "immigrants" who are here will stay right here in the good old U.S. of A. Don't kid yourself. I guess then if Mexico was to adopt a communist ideology all those Mexicans that "Carolinaguy" look upon with disdain will suddenly be welcomed, thus the double standards
Give me a break! What do you propose we do? Open the borders? Allow anyone that wants in in? As far as I'm concerned, if you didnt come here throught LEGAL channels, you deserve to be deported- Haitian, Cuban, Mexican, Canadian- whatever. The preferential treatment is giving these people in- state tuition, and depriving others (That are LEGAL US citizens) of an education because they cant afford it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 07:46 AM

2,193 posts, read 4,449,198 times
I dont think it's fair when ppl like my husband and my parents came here and worked their butts off on a student visa and paying the internation fees while the illegals get to go to school at the in state tuition rate. Why do they get the cheaper fee when they are ILLEGAL!

Next, this is slightly off topic but what makes me really mad is when I was a Guardian at Litem (advocate for victims of child abuse), I encountered a Mexican family that was illegal and they were involved in sexual abuse/child abuse, etc of 9 children! On top of that they were illegal and she was in and out of the court system for years! How in the world do you get to go in and out of the system and be illegal! I just don't get it!

Old 07-30-2008, 07:48 AM

153 posts, read 208,344 times
"Hoagie58" did you read my post at all. You sound confused by it, because I agree with you, I was simply responding to the "pretenders", posts that claimed that all Cubans came to this country legally, they came here illegaly but they were treated differently. We should all pay our own way, I don't agree with giving free education to illegal immigrants. Didn't you notice the sacarsm in my last sentence

Last edited by icartp; 07-30-2008 at 08:57 AM..

Old 07-30-2008, 07:52 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,203,326 times
Quote:
"Hoagie58" did you read my post at all. You sound confused by it, because I agree with you, I was simply responding to the "pretenders", posts that claimed that all Cubans came to this country legally, they came here illegaly but they were treated differently. We should all pay our own way, I don't agre with giving free education to illegal immigrants. Didn't you notice the sacarsm in my last sentence

Apparently my sarcasm detector was malfunctioning, because that was where my beef came from. Sorry for the confusion!!

Old 07-30-2008, 07:53 AM

3,662 posts, read 8,530,000 times
Quote:
Believe it or not I agree with you "Ncopuss99", everyone coming here should do it legally. I was just responding to the "pretenders", the people who pretend they know everything. Not all Cubans came here legally, many were offered "preferential treatment' because they came from a communist country and I don't think many of them will return if the Cuban government changes. Are you kidding me, Cuba is just as poor the rest of these islands in the caribbean, don't think that Haiti is the only poor country in the western hemisphere. Haitians were also fleeing "POLITICAL PERSECUTION" because of a "HOSTILE GOVERNMENT", NOT JUST POVERTY and we sent them all back. Yes most of Cuba is just as poor and given the chance many of those Cuban "immigrants" who are here will stay right here in the good old U.S. of A. Don't kid yourself. I guess then if Mexico was to adopt a communist ideology all those Mexicans that "Carolinaguy" look upon with disdain will suddenly be welcomed, thus the double standards
Oh, how astute!

Where have I said anything about hating Mexicans? In fact, I haven't referenced anything about Mexicans in this whole thread?! Quit putting words in my mouth. The only thing I look upon with disdain is ILLEGAL immigration, which can consist of any nationality albeit most are Mexican.

And I don't know what preferential treatment has to do with where we are today. You have spun this article away from its intentions, which was to underline efforts being taken to curtail upper education freeloading my multitudes of illegals.

Our nation and our city are swamped with illegals and you and I are stuck with the bill. You may not mind paying for their education, health care, housing, and food stamps, but I certainly do!

geez.....

Old 07-30-2008, 08:04 AM

I just took offense to you saying that I needed to be educated when my point was well taken. I was also responding to the post that claimed Cubans came here legally when many of them did not and many were treated differently...

Old 07-30-2008, 08:06 AM

3,662 posts, read 8,530,000 times
Quote:
I just took offense to you saying that I needed to be educated when my point was well taken. I was also responding to the post that claimed Cubans came here legally when many of them did not and many were treated differently...
I apologize for that remark, it was unnecessary.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:45 AM

the thread was moved! why?

Old 07-30-2008, 11:46 AM

1,417 posts, read 852,550 times
Quote:
Because illegals are immigrants, and anything to do with immigration belongs in the immigration forum.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:47 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,174,996 times
Quote:
Maybe the moderators figured it was more about illegal immigration than just about Charlotte?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration