U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 02:40 PM

3,662 posts, read 8,526,985 times

Advertisements

Wow, I am quite surprised and impressed with this story, especially since we love illegals here in NC.

It's not concrete, but it's a step in the right direction:

Charlotte Observer | 07/29/2008 | Illegal immigrants <br>likely blocked from<br> N.C. community colleges (http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/733693.html - broken link)

Quote:
Some Charlotte area illegal immigrants won’t be attending community college this fall, despite a change in the attorney general’s opinion that led to a ban on admitting undocumented students.

The N.C. Community College system wants its state board to review the state attorney general’s latest advice and decide whether to lift the ban. But the board does not plan to take up the issue until its regularly scheduled meeting on Aug. 15, which is also the last day of registration for Central Piedmont Community College, the state’s largest two-year school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 02:54 PM

285 posts, read 954,162 times
I agree. A part of my family came over in the 50's from cuba and did it the right way. They got their citizenship right away and respected the laws here..

Let the illegals become a US citizen/Student Visas first....

Old 07-29-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcharlottan View Post
I agree. A part of my family came over in the 50's from cuba and did it the right way. They got their citizenship right away and respected the laws here..

Let the illegals become a US citizen/Student Visas first....
Ditto! It's all a slap in the face to your family when they came here through the legal process.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:26 PM

7,068 posts, read 10,818,929 times
Amen! Welcome to all who immigrate the right way! I think there should be no taxpayer supported benefits (except a bus ticket to the border) to those who didn't do it the right way!

Old 07-29-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Amen! Welcome to all who immigrate the right way! I think there should be no taxpayer supported benefits (except a bus ticket to the border) to those who didn't do it the right way!
hahaha! count me in for $300 worth of bus tickets!

Old 07-29-2008, 05:15 PM

392 posts, read 1,060,329 times
I agree with Mr. Pendergraph, in that the states need to decide for themselves. IMO, this is a better alternative than to leave it up to a State Board of CCs.

In case you are interested...before the NC House and Senate adjourned, here is some of the most recent NC legislative activity on the subject....

On one hand you have...

NC House Bill #2717 called "Access to Higher Education", an act to prevent the UNC Board of Governors and the State Board of Community Colleges from soliciting information regarding the immigration status of prospective students. Primary Sponsors were Harrison, Luebke, and Glazier. Co-Sponsors were Faison, Fisher, Insko, Jones, Lucas, Parmon, Weiss. House action: This bill was filed on 5/27, passed on first reading was referred to the Committee on Education on 5/28.

while on the other hand you had...

NC State Senate bill #2019, called "Community Colleges Can't Admit Illegal Aliens", was sponsored at the end of May to prohibit illegal aliens from attending community colleges and appropriate $10,000 from the General Fund to the Community Colleges System office. The Primary Sponsor of the bill was Philip E. Berger and Co-Sponsors were Austin M. Allran, Stan Bingham, Andrew C. Brock, Peter S. Brunstetter, James Forrester, Neal Hunt, Jim Jacumin, and Fred Smith. The Senate action on this bill: it was filed on 05/27/08 and on 5/28 was referred to Committee on Appropriations and Base Budget.

In case you are interested in communicating with your representatives on the subject, here is a link to find your state representatives (http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/GIS/RandR07/Home.html - broken link).

Old 07-29-2008, 06:47 PM

153 posts, read 208,275 times
how soon we forget. Didn't many Cuban illegal immigrants got a free ride when they were coming in boat loads. They were allowed to stay because they were coming from a "communist" country. Remenber the movie "Scar Face", Fidel Castro sent a bunch of criminals to the U.S and we gladly accepted them without any argument so Castro can look bad. Preferential treatment, its okay for some and not okay for others. If only we were consistant with this whole thing there would be no problem...

Old 07-29-2008, 07:14 PM

1,469 posts, read 3,290,826 times
This is great news. It is sad to think that in many states, an ILLEGAL "immigrant" (trespasser) can get many advantages to attend the college of their choice, at the expense of the taxpayers, and a person that has ancestors that fought and died for this country can't even get a grant from the government to assist them in attending college.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:23 PM

285 posts, read 954,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icartp View Post
how soon we forget. Didn't many Cuban illegal immigrants got a free ride when they were coming in boat loads. They were allowed to stay because they were coming from a "communist" country. Remenber the movie "Scar Face", Fidel Castro sent a bunch of criminals to the U.S and we gladly accepted them without any argument so Castro can look bad. Preferential treatment, its okay for some and not okay for others. If only we were consistant with this whole thing there would be no problem...
I am not understanding what you are talking about. Could you explain preferential treatment?

And alot of those supposed prisoners were political prisoners. I know alot of them that their family came over on the mariel's boat lift and they weren't murderers or rapists, just against Castro.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:38 PM

392 posts, read 1,060,329 times
Icartp, you are entitled to your opinion, but, I feel I must follow up your blanket statements with these facts...

1) not as many of the exiles in the Mariel Boat Lift were criminals as people have been led to believe

2) not everyone was welcomed with open arms

3) many good and wonderful people who were a part of the boat lift suffer the stigma attached to them by just the sort of falsehoods put forth in your post

Cubans aren't given preferential treatment... all refugees from communist countries are awarded the same treatment.

The one thing that does bother me is that, historically, Haitian refugees have not been released from custody during review of their cases, when most other refugees released from custody while their case is being reviewed. That is something that should definitely change.

Sorry, CG, for going OT, but since this tangent was brought up, I just could not pass it up...

Last edited by AmericanRoadGirl; 07-29-2008 at 08:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration