U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2008, 05:31 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,901,976 times

Advertisements

For the past few days Fox 4 viewers have been flooding the office of Immigration and Customs Enforcement with calls and e-mails, demanding answers: How is it that criminal Cuban alien Abel Arango was left to roam the streets, where he eventually shot and killed Fort Myers police officer Andrew Widman? And why is ICE hiding from Fox 4 cameras? Finally, ICE is providing some answers.
Headlines:
-- In its history, ICE has succeeded in deporting just 263 Cuban criminals. 21,228 are still here.

-- ICE says local authorities who re-arrested Abel Arango on drug charges could have checked with ICE about his immigration status, but didn't. But ICE won't say what they would have done had they been contacted.

-- ICE says the idea presented by one local politician to drop Cuban deportees "out the back door of Guantanamo" won't work.

FOX 4 Now - WFTX ICE bombshell: thousands of alien Cuban criminals are still here (http://www.fox4now.com/Global/story.asp?S=8746045 - broken link)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 05:33 PM

1,417 posts, read 853,260 times
Wet Food, Dry Foot Policy. Need I say more of this atrocity?

Old 07-30-2008, 05:08 AM

3,640 posts, read 4,311,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Wet Food, Dry Foot Policy. Need I say more of this atrocity?
It is indeed an atrocity. I am so against this and wish that America would stop it.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:13 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,991,134 times
Certainly there are many flaws in the present policy toward Cuba, be it immigration, embargo whatever. But here FOX news is giving a lot of misinformation and taking a situation of an amputee story and trying to give legs to it. The partisan 20 percenters can talk all they want about left or right bias in the press but it all boils down to the fact that news organizations, especially cable, use sensationalism, lies and innuendo to get viewers and the press to get readers. Most of it is nonsense and simply a form of yellow journalism.

I know a lot about the Cuban situation because I worked many years as an interpreter and later interrogator for the Cuban Mariel parole hearings in federal corrections institutes all over the country.

1. The Mareilitos a few facts :
More than 23,000 of the arriving Mariel Cubans revealed to Immigration Officials previous criminal convictions. However, many of those convictions were for offenses that would not warrant detention under United States law. Contrary to the media attention given to these alleged criminals and that the Mariel Boat lift was a disaster, only 2% or 2,746 Cubans were actual criminals under United States law and were not granted citizenship. South Florida absorbed these refugees with some adjustment but without long-term affects. Research done by economist David Card of Princeton suggests that the influx of refugees did not drive down wages or raise unemployment among existing Miami residents, but actually increased the area’s overall wealth.

Many more than the 2,746 actual criminals were incarcerated for various reasons. One being that they were just forgotten about, slipped through the cracks the other way and sent to places like Fort McCoy WI where they were mistakenly placed in FBOP custody and some having done nothing illegal spent time inside. Others had no criminal record at all but upon arriving in the US they committed crimes from misdemeanors to felonies and were rightly or wrongly, in some cases, sent to federal detention centers. It took years to resolve all these cases. In all we had more than 9000 people in custody. About 60% were criminals the others were not.

All of this happened to the "Marielitos" because they were here under the "exclusion policy". This is a complicated law but in essence it means they were not here officially and they were not in Cuba they were , in effect, in a no man's land. Local law enforcement handed these people (those under exclusion) over to the INS and they were sent to federal detention locations.

The wet foot dry foot law has not produced THOUSANDS of criminals the numbers are much less than that.

It is also important to note that when we found criminals who had committed class A felonies, for the first 10 years or more we sent them BACK to Cuba. How that was decided is a long story that I won't go into at this point. The Cubans were flown along with INS guards and agents from Talladega AL Federal Correction Center to various sites in Cuba. It was the choice of the prisoner "Stay in prison or go back to Cuba." This policy was later abandoned because some INS agents heard gunfire near the airports and felt that the returnees were being summarily executed by the Cuban police.

Today there are about 900 or so inmates still in federal custody and may never get out because they are habitual and/or professional criminals.

The FOX figure is 21,228 is totally false. It's just like the 2 million dead Iraqis. Good for selling copy and getting viewers from the naive sector of our population.

BTW it is a well known fact that the Cuban immigrants are the most enterprising of the Latin American immigrants and have rescued many neighborhoods (like Humboldt Park in Chicago) from poverty and gangs by starting businesses that others are either not educated enough to start or just prefer to work for substandard wages etc. This is one case where the contributions are more than justified to allow them to stay here and become useful members of society.

"Wet foot - dry foot" IS however a very bad policy but Cuba often will not accept them back. That is of course our fault for instituting the policy and using it as anti-Castro propaganda. It has backfired drastically.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:05 PM

1,417 posts, read 853,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
It is indeed an atrocity. I am so against this and wish that America would stop it.
We're against amnesty right? Cubans are coming here by illegal means, BUT, once they touch American soil they can become citizens.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:24 PM

3,640 posts, read 4,311,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
We're against amnesty right? Cubans are coming here by illegal means, BUT, once they touch American soil they can become citizens.
I said that I was against it. What the hell else do you want. I don't believe in any damn amnesty, for Cubans or any other illegal. YES, I do look at most Cubans as illegal, the ones that came here using the wet foot dry foor policy anyway.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Certainly there are many flaws in the present policy toward Cuba, be it immigration, embargo whatever. But here FOX news is giving a lot of misinformation and taking a situation of an amputee story and trying to give legs to it. The partisan 20 percenters can talk all they want about left or right bias in the press but it all boils down to the fact that news organizations, especially cable, use sensationalism, lies and innuendo to get viewers and the press to get readers. Most of it is nonsense and simply a form of yellow journalism.

I know a lot about the Cuban situation because I worked many years as an interpreter and later interrogator for the Cuban Mariel parole hearings in federal corrections institutes all over the country.

1. The Mareilitos a few facts :
More than 23,000 of the arriving Mariel Cubans revealed to Immigration Officials previous criminal convictions. However, many of those convictions were for offenses that would not warrant detention under United States law. Contrary to the media attention given to these alleged criminals and that the Mariel Boat lift was a disaster, only 2% or 2,746 Cubans were actual criminals under United States law and were not granted citizenship. South Florida absorbed these refugees with some adjustment but without long-term affects. Research done by economist David Card of Princeton suggests that the influx of refugees did not drive down wages or raise unemployment among existing Miami residents, but actually increased the area’s overall wealth.

Many more than the 2,746 actual criminals were incarcerated for various reasons. One being that they were just forgotten about, slipped through the cracks the other way and sent to places like Fort McCoy WI where they were mistakenly placed in FBOP custody and some having done nothing illegal spent time inside. Others had no criminal record at all but upon arriving in the US they committed crimes from misdemeanors to felonies and were rightly or wrongly, in some cases, sent to federal detention centers. It took years to resolve all these cases. In all we had more than 9000 people in custody. About 60% were criminals the others were not.

All of this happened to the "Marielitos" because they were here under the "exclusion policy". This is a complicated law but in essence it means they were not here officially and they were not in Cuba they were , in effect, in a no man's land. Local law enforcement handed these people (those under exclusion) over to the INS and they were sent to federal detention locations.

The wet foot dry foot law has not produced THOUSANDS of criminals the numbers are much less than that.

It is also important to note that when we found criminals who had committed class A felonies, for the first 10 years or more we sent them BACK to Cuba. How that was decided is a long story that I won't go into at this point. The Cubans were flown along with INS guards and agents from Talladega AL Federal Correction Center to various sites in Cuba. It was the choice of the prisoner "Stay in prison or go back to Cuba." This policy was later abandoned because some INS agents heard gunfire near the airports and felt that the returnees were being summarily executed by the Cuban police.

Today there are about 900 or so inmates still in federal custody and may never get out because they are habitual and/or professional criminals.

The FOX figure is 21,228 is totally false. It's just like the 2 million dead Iraqis. Good for selling copy and getting viewers from the naive sector of our population.

BTW it is a well known fact that the Cuban immigrants are the most enterprising of the Latin American immigrants and have rescued many neighborhoods (like Humboldt Park in Chicago) from poverty and gangs by starting businesses that others are either not educated enough to start or just prefer to work for substandard wages etc. This is one case where the contributions are more than justified to allow them to stay here and become useful members of society.

"Wet foot - dry foot" IS however a very bad policy but Cuba often will not accept them back. That is of course our fault for instituting the policy and using it as anti-Castro propaganda. It has backfired drastically.
this is the real truth and i know because i'm a cuban american CITIZEN and i came by air not illegaly but most of my friends and family did come by sea and i know that embargo crap and as long as castro lives they will keep coming that way because some can't afford to come the right way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or