U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 06:48 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,299,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
If their goal was getting a college education, there are schools in Mexico that I am sure could meet their needs and are very inexpensive. But it's not really about becoming educated, now is it? It's all about remaining in the US and bringing in additional family members.
Why would someone who grew up in the United States and who likely does NOT speak fluent Spanish decide to go to college in Mexico? It makes much more sense to desire an American university education. Bring family members? Their parents and family are likely already in this country!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 06:51 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,190,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Why would someone who grew up in the United States and who likely does NOT speak fluent Spanish decide to go to college in Mexico? It makes much more sense to desire an American university education. Bring family members? Their parents and family are likely already in this country!
Because they and their parents are here illegally. They all need to go home. They are citizens of Mexico not the USA.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:58 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,720,122 times
Quote:
They are citizens of Mexico, not the US. They say the best way to learn a language is through immersion so this will be an excellent opportunity for them to learn to speak Spanish fluently. Plus they will be able to experience Mexican culture firsthand. Why would someone turn down a chance to live in another country? Especially a country that the Mexican illegal aliens are so proud of.
Oh don't worry about the family, they will find someone to bring over.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:00 PM

11,878 posts, read 32,976,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Kris Kobach is a joke ... he lost the hazleton case, kansas instate tuition case and will lose this one also.
A joke because he lost a case? You're promoting the idea that people in this country illegally should be provided an education at a rate LOWER than US citizens and you think HE is a joke?

Thanks for providing me a clearer view of your obvious and blatant bias for illegal immigration and total disrespect for the legal residents and citizens of this country.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:06 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,640,529 times
Quote:
I am particularly fond of amnesty as a solution to problems like the one you state above. If your parents bring you here - which is no choice of your own, mind you - and you grow up here you should not be put through the hell of deportation, regardless of your immigration status. When I was a senior in high school a Polish girl who was an honor student and had lived in the US since age 5 was threatened with deportation back to Poland, a country she had not seen in 12 years with a language that she did not speak. Myself and others got our local Congresswoman involved (Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R - Florida)) and she was eventually able to obtain a social security number and go to college in Florida. It is very disheartening to imagine that our government would deport people like this - who, for all practical purposes, identify as AMERICAN - who made no choice of their own to break any laws. These are precisely the people who should get to stay and should be given a simplified path to citizenship.
I promised myself not to get involved in this thread..but your post did bring up one of my most frequent 'points' in all this. I've known illegals personally for decades, and found them to be mostly fine people. But I've watched as the newer illegals changed in quality and attitude from before....as American society itself changed...and as the sheer scope of the problem 'mushroomed' into something scarcely resembling things a few years ago. Illegal immigration has always been a part of our society...but it's gone from being a well-tolerated 'victimless crime', mostly going on in 'the shadows', to the contentious, angry, divisive mess we have today.

Without belaboring the point further (I'm pretty well 'belabored out'), I will say that your post does illustrate one of my points..(whether you meant it that way or not)....and that is, doing the 'decent thing', and giving a person a 'break', and 'looking the other way' at ANY minor offense, MAY be OK, when the offense is happening on a quiet, low-key level, in small numbers. When that VERY SAME offense expands into the MILLIONS, however, 'looking the other way' may no longer work.

I think you'll find this true in MANY cases of petty, non-violent lawbreaking..what was "OK" thirty or forty years ago, may NOW no longer be "OK"...for a number of reasons. Things change. Societies change. Numbers change.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:11 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,914,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
And what do you think that 'proof' will be? A 'sworn statement'? A dated copy of the coyote's bill? A worn-out pair of hiking shoes?

Get real, the DREAM Act is nothing more than another amnesty dressed up for American SUCKERS!
You nailed it. The absurdity of suggesting that we trust someone who came to this country illegally, brought their illegal alien children along for the ride, probably lied to said illegal offspring all of their childhood is just mind boggling.

Said illegal alien grows up living a life of lies and, deceit taught to them by their "parent" and goes on to wash, rinse and repeat the criminal patterns of their illegal alien parent because it's all they've been taught to do in the name of remaining here while hoping for a free ride to citizenship and all its perks.

What's left out of their SOB story is the fact that they consider it ok to lie, steal, cheat, drive, drunk or sober without a license and if caught lie to the police or if ticketed to the judge.

Because they, in essence have been raised by lying, scheming parents whose motto is by any means necessary because we don't want to go home.

We the American taxpaying suckers are supposed to be further duped into believing that if we just give them amnesty, they will turn out to be honest, upstanding American citizens full of integrity.

I'm sorry but these former children turned adults are angry, bitter and mad not at their illegal alien lying scheming parents but at the American people for not wanting to financially sponsor their DREAM.

Does it get anymore insane than that?

Old 07-30-2008, 07:16 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,801,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
A joke because he lost a case? You're promoting the idea that people in this country illegally should be provided an education at a rate LOWER than US citizens and you think HE is a joke?

Thanks for providing me a clearer view of your obvious and blatant bias for illegal immigration and total disrespect for the legal residents and citizens of this country.
I don't mind students who were brought here as kids(in some case even babies), who have grown up in california, gone through the k-12 system there in California and graduated from a high school over there getting instate. I found the requirements for gaining instate tuition in California.

[SIZE=3]
Quote:
[SIZE=3]
Requirements for Resident Classification: [/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]Adult students eighteen years of age or older* or married must 1) relinquish their prior residence, and 2) establish residency in California for more than one year preceding the residence determination date which is established by the governing board of each institution for each semester, quarter or term. Physical presence in California must be coupled with objective evidence of intent to make California a permanent home. The one-year physical presence requirement will be extended until both presence and intent have been demonstrated for one full year [/SIZE][/SIZE]

http://www.cpec.ca.gov/CollegeGuide/sr_CA01.pdf

[/SIZE]

Old 07-30-2008, 07:17 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,179,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubsmom View Post
does it get anymore insane than that?
nope!!

Old 07-30-2008, 07:23 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,640,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
You nailed it. The absurdity of suggesting that we trust someone who came to this country illegally, brought their illegal alien children along for the ride, probably lied to said illegal offspring all of their childhood is just mind boggling.

Said illegal alien grows up living a life of lies and, deceit taught to them by their "parent" and goes on to wash, rinse and repeat the criminal patterns of their illegal alien parent because it's all they've been taught to do in the name of remaining here while hoping for a free ride to citizenship and all its perks.

What's left out of their SOB story is the fact that they consider it ok to lie, steal, cheat, drive, drunk or sober without a license and if caught lie to the police or if ticketed to the judge.

Because they, in essence have been raised by lying, scheming parents whose motto is by any means necessary because we don't want to go home.

We the American taxpaying suckers are supposed to be further duped into believing that if we just give them amnesty, they will turn out to be honest, upstanding American citizens full of integrity.

I'm sorry but these former children turned adults are angry, bitter and mad not at their illegal alien lying scheming parents but at the American people for not wanting to financially sponsor their DREAM.

Does it get anymore insane than that?
Reminds me of how we could have honest, gentle, wise and understanding cops...if we could only find a steady supply of honest, gentle, wise and understanding criminals for them to 'interact with'.

Until we do, we'll probably have people unhappy with things as they are...in the 'real world'. Pretty hard to come up with ways to control illegal immigration, that are going to meet with the approval of the illegals.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:46 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,914,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Reminds me of how we could have honest, gentle, wise and understanding cops...if we could only find a steady supply of honest, gentle, wise and understanding criminals for them to 'interact with'.

Until we do, we'll probably have people unhappy with things as they are...in the 'real world'. Pretty hard to come up with ways to control illegal immigration, that are going to meet with the approval of the illegals.
I couldn't agree more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or