U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 08:18 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times

Advertisements

Approximately 100,000 past and present students nationwide have filed a class action lawsuit against the University of California Board of Regents. They are demanding that California end its in-state tuition policy for illegal aliens, and are suing for billions of dollars in damages. They have estimated that out-of-state legal U.S. citizens have paid on average $60,000 more for a four-year degree than their illegal alien counterparts. These subsidies are of course paid by taxpaying U.S. citizens. Yesterday was the first day of the hearings.

Watch the video for the complete story.
YouTube - Lou Dobbs - In-State Tuition for Illegal Aliens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 08:28 PM

1,238 posts, read 2,181,016 times
I hope they sue the **** out of this college and bankrupt them.

I'm usually against the idea of filing lawsuits and suing, but not when it comes to illegal immigration.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:30 PM

103 posts, read 455,603 times
yea! Its ok if they come over and work all the jobs we are too good to do.

But hell no, they aint getting an education so they can take OUR JOBS!. lol

Old 07-29-2008, 08:32 PM

9,308 posts, read 25,668,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Approximately 100,000 past and present students nationwide have filed a class action lawsuit against the University of California Board of Regents. They are demanding that California end its in-state tuition policy for illegal aliens, and are suing for billions of dollars in damages. They have estimated that out-of-state legal U.S. citizens have paid on average $60,000 more for a four-year degree than their illegal alien counterparts. These subsidies are of course paid by taxpaying U.S. citizens. Yesterday was the first day of the hearings.
Not usually an advocate of lawsuits, Benicar . . . however, this one makes perfect sense to me.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSKi View Post
yea! Its ok if they come over and work all the jobs we are too good to do.

But hell no, they aint getting an education so they can take OUR JOBS!. lol
Why should they receive in-state tuition when they aren't even supposed to be here? Did you watch the video? Do you not understand the expense of providing in-state tuition subsidies for thousands of illegal aliens? Isn't it enough that we are already paying for K-12 education?

Old 07-29-2008, 08:36 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
It's about time. I think legal foreign students who were discriminated against and forced to pay higher tuition rates because they chose to abide by the law should join in.

It really burns me how we expect good law abiding foreign students to pay more but those who break the laws and come here illegally, present fraudulent ID documents and so on are very nicely rewarded.

No American should have been paying out-of-state tuition when illegals could come and get the cheapest tuition and very often financial aid.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:38 PM

I also ordinarily donít approve of most lawsuits due to our litigious society. Most are frivolous, and simply due to greed. However, I support this 100%.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:19 PM

1,169 posts, read 3,303,323 times
Quote:
I also ordinarily donít approve of most lawsuits due to our litigious society. Most are frivolous, and simply due to greed. However, I support this 100%.
I agree 100%.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:28 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,276,533 times
I disagree. I think that if you graduate from a California high school as an illegal alien, you should be entitled to in-state tuition. I considered UCLA for law school and would not have minded paying out-of-state tuition for a year while an "illegal alien" who attended both high school and college in California got the in-state tuition rate. Becoming educated is an important part of integration; I imagine educated people are more likely to eventually legalize their residency status and I don't think we are doing any good disallowing California "illegal alien" students from taking advantage of in-state tuition rates.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:37 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,276,533 times
Quote:
Why should they receive in-state tuition when they aren't even supposed to be here? Did you watch the video? Do you not understand the expense of providing in-state tuition subsidies for thousands of illegal aliens? Isn't it enough that we are already paying for K-12 education?
While I agree that we don't "owe" illegal aliens in-state tuition rates in the same way that we "owe" them access to a public primary and secondary education (which the US Supreme Court has declared to be a pseudo fundamental right), I believe that we should provide illegal aliens who have graduated from California high schools with California in-state tuition benefits. Post-secondary education is an effective way to assure economic (to a great degree) and cultural (to a lesser degree) assimilation into this country, and I believe that we are putting ourselves at a disadvantage by discouraging in-state college attendance via refusing in-state tuition rates. Why discourage able-minded and motivated individuals from attending college? People speak of illegal aliens as becoming an underclass, but attending college is the number one way in this country (to my knowledge) to assure that one DOESN'T become part of an underclass. I think we would be better off getting past the "But they shouldn't even be here in the first place!" argument and thinking of practicality (as opposed to principal) and the long term instead of the short term. Thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or