U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 04:58 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,993,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Anyone else interested?
oh, thank god!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 05:01 PM

10,833 posts, read 11,564,997 times
Somehow I doubt there will be many takers.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:37 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
U.S. officials are refusing to release details about a new program set to be unveiled next week which would allow illegal immigrants to self-deport.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Director Julie Myers has told a Spanish-language television network that the plan involves permitting illegals without criminal records to turn themselves in, the San Antonio Express-News reported Wednesday.

Myers said officials came up with the idea to allow illegal immigrants to self-deport after hearing detainees say they would rather go home than spend time in immigration prisons.

ICE set to unveil new immigration program

What a nice civilized gesture. Hopefully the morons in this country illegally (especially those who use their newborns to shield them) will get out.

They need a new government program to self-deport? Now that takes the cake for dependence on government!

Can't an illegal just pick up a map and figure out where his country is and hop on the next bus headed that way? Or airplane or ship, whatever the case might be?

Old 07-30-2008, 10:41 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
So its no-questions-asked ?
If there's no record of ever being here, then to me it would be smarter to do this without the government's help.

If an illegal truly wishes to be here legally and has no criminal record, then what's stopping him from going home and starting over the right way? It might be inconvenient or involve a bit of sacrifice, but there are people already in line trying to immigrate legally and any fair immigration policy does not put lawbreakers to the front of the line.

Especially illegals who might have studied, learned English, learned something of the history and culture of this country, they certainly have an advantage over many, they just need to go home and get the process going the right way.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:14 AM

5,080 posts, read 7,661,206 times
I wonder if they will deport me back to Scotland? Humm.. but wait I was born here.. wonder if I can still self deport?

Old 07-31-2008, 06:55 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,989,171 times
This idea is about as practical as a lead sailboat. I wonder how much of our tax dollar was used to work out this boondoggle. It will probably become a new department of homeland security. What ever happened to "smaller government"?

Old 07-31-2008, 03:03 PM

26 posts, read 68,849 times
I think it's a good program in that it gives illegals the right to get home safely without getting arrested.

However, it's kind of stupid because illegals who risked their lives to get here aren't going to leave in a hurry. They aren't going to get many takers, that's for sure.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:34 PM

1,417 posts, read 851,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarthmore89 View Post
I think it's a good program in that it gives illegals the right to get home safely without getting arrested.

However, it's kind of stupid because illegals who risked their lives to get here aren't going to leave in a hurry. They aren't going to get many takers, that's for sure.
Illegals are fleeing as we speak. Read some of the other threads that have been posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration