Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 02:44 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,288,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Illegals are here because they broke the law. The crossed our border under false pretenses or they paid coyotes to sneak them across our border under the cover of darkness.

Factually there is 2-3 generations of illegals still living in Chicago that arrived in the 60's.
How can someone be a 3rd generation illegal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 09:21 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
How can someone be a 3rd generation illegal?

Maybe they didn't bother to apply for citizenship during the amnesty? Do you really believe that all the illegals WANT to be citizens? That involves paying taxes and taking responisbility.

In many states you can even get away with voting without being a citizen so why bother with the paperwork?

Many feel that parts of the US are actually Mexico so why bother getting dual citizenship?

Old 04-04-2011, 03:18 AM

39 posts, read 102,803 times
I resent the notion that there is a collective "Hispanic" voice either in favor or against any political issue. No spokesperson or self-appointed activist speaks for me in one direction or another.
Also, Hispanic Americans are extremely diverse. Some of you seem to think there is a hive mentality, and all "Hispanics" share some covert agenda. That is not unlike some of the wackier variants of anti-semitism.

As individuals, Hispanic voters are making their views known. Look at the recent election of Susana Martinez (who is a Mexican American) as governor of New Mexico. She was elected with broad Hispanic support, and she is currently on pace to overshadow Jan Brewer as an opponent of illegal immigration.
Now Gov. Martinez probably represents a much, much larger number of ordinary Hispanic American citizens - in New Mexico at least -than the leadership National Council of La Raza or the League of United Latin American Citizens and other groups that generally defend illegal immigration.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:12 PM

93 posts, read 138,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goliadh View Post
I resent the notion that there is a collective "Hispanic" voice either in favor or against any political issue. No spokesperson or self-appointed activist speaks for me in one direction or another.
Also, Hispanic Americans are extremely diverse. Some of you seem to think there is a hive mentality, and all "Hispanics" share some covert agenda. That is not unlike some of the wackier variants of anti-semitism.

As individuals, Hispanic voters are making their views known. Look at the recent election of Susana Martinez (who is a Mexican American) as governor of New Mexico. She was elected with broad Hispanic support, and she is currently on pace to overshadow Jan Brewer as an opponent of illegal immigration.
Now Gov. Martinez probably represents a much, much larger number of ordinary Hispanic American citizens - in New Mexico at least -than the leadership National Council of La Raza or the League of United Latin American Citizens and other groups that generally defend illegal immigration.

nice job! i am hispanic and i live in NM. We jispanics voted for her because should proved to people that not all of us hispanics are pro-illegal immigration actualyy we are the complete opposite. In NM the majority of the hispanic families trace our roots directly back to spain, which they happen to come here around or before columbus.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:02 PM

93 posts, read 138,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Bless you and your family.
well thank you so much, i really do appreciate that i really do. You made my day.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:16 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
The "racism" card is nothing but a desperate attempt to take the focus off the REAL problem.

I hear that everyday. If you want illegals out, you're racist. Illegals are here because they want a better life for their families. They do the jobs Americans won't do. They are hardworking people.

BLAH BLAH BLAH.

The bottom line is: no matter what your sob story is, if you came here illegally, you need to stop whinning and leave. But of course that won't happen. Where else can you get freebies this country has to offer?

You just said it in a nutshell! Or what other Country would be stupid enough to take the illegals in, as we do.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:26 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Nappy announced today, the Dream Act is law now.

Really???

Old 04-04-2011, 11:03 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,834,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Barreras View Post
cut off all state and government benefits to illegals, do not allow their anchor babies to become automatic citizens and do not hire them, they will self deport
Is there some kind of "automatic switch", in your world, that would accomplish this, or are you just day-dreaming out loud?

Its time to go beyond "catch phrases" to solutions. "Wishing" illegal aliens away is not good national or state immigration policy.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:07 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Is there some kind of "automatic switch", in your world, that would accomplish this, or are you just day-dreaming out loud?

Its time to go beyond "catch phrases" to solutions. "Wishing" illegal aliens away is not good national or state immigration policy.
The Republicans have all of these bills pending in congess. However I am sure they will be met with much obstinance from the Democrats.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:33 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,492,310 times
Yea...an uneducated person telling me to educate myself...what is this world becoming .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration