U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2008, 08:39 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 22 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 15,464,992 times

Advertisements

Actually many illegals do pay taxes:

Quote:
...Undocumented workers are filing more taxes than ever before says the Internal Revenue Service.
Study: Immigrants Pay Tax Share - washingtonpost.com

Old 07-31-2008, 08:44 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Actually many illegals do pay taxes:

Study: Immigrants Pay Tax Share - washingtonpost.com
Hint: EITC

Old 07-31-2008, 08:46 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,708,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Hint: EITC
Hint#2:

Quote:
The study was underwritten by the Washington Area Partnership for Immigrants, a funding collaborative of the Community Foundation.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:27 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,277,223 times
I was just browsing through all my old threads. I thought it was funny how this thread got its two seconds of glory (all 203 posts were within a 24 hour period) before it fell off the map! I thought I would revive it...

Last edited by big mean bear; 11-22-2008 at 04:46 PM..

Old 11-22-2008, 04:41 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,894,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Hint#2:
Hint #3 and more important than this overtly deliberate deception/claim:

There is a difference between IMMIGRANTS (who are documented and in this country working legally) as opposed to ILLEGAL ALIENS, WHO crawled through a hole in the border fence, who other than mandatory sales tax pay no income tax.

Unfortunately, the racist ethnocentric supporters fraudulently refer to illegal aliens as IMMIGRANTS.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
I was just browsing through all my old threads. I thought it was funny how this thread got its two seconds of glory (all 203 posts were within a 24 hour period) before it fell off the map! I thought I would revive it...

JDubsMom, or anybody who knows... What significance does the "anchor baby" have in the whole illegal immigration thing? (Per the OP: Hispanics with strollers etc.)

Old 11-22-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
JDubsMom, or anybody who knows... What significance does the "anchor baby" have in the whole illegal immigration thing? (Per the OP: Hispanics with strollers etc.)
Anchor Babies and Interpreting the 14th Amendment

It is well known that a person born in the United States is an automatic citizen regardless of the mother's citizenship status. However, the United States is unusual in its offer of citizenship to anyone born on U.S. soil. Only a few European countries still grant automatic citizenship at birth. The United Kingdom and Australia repealed their U.S. style policy in the 1980s after witnessing abuses similar to those plaguing the U.S. today. Why does the United States continue to allow a practice subject to widespread fraud? The answer lies in how American jurisprudence has interpreted the 14th Amendment to the Constitution.

The 14th Amendment was added to the Constitution as part of the post Civil War reforms aimed at addressing injustices to African Americans. It states that "all persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof are citizens of the United States" and was crafted so that state governments could never deny citizenship to anyone born in the United States. However, when the amendment was crafted, the United States had no immigration policy, and thus the authors saw no need to state explicitly, what they believed was understood. The phrase "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" was intended to exclude from automatic citizenship American-born persons whose allegiance to the United States was not complete. In the case of illegal aliens who are temporarily or unlawfully in the United States, because their native country has a claim of allegiance to the child, the completeness of the allegiance to the United States is impaired and logically precludes automatic citizenship.
"Every Person born within the limits of the United States, and subject to their jurisdiction, is by virtue of natural law and national law a citizen of the United States. This will not, of course, include persons born in the United States who are foreigners, aliens, who belong to the families of ambassadors or foreign ministers accredited to the Government of the United States, but will include every other class of persons.
[SIZE=-1]Senator Jacob Howard, Co-author of the citizenship clause of the 14th Amendment, 1866.[/SIZE]
The Price We Pay
  • The Urban Institute estimates that the cost of educating an estimated 800,000 illegal alien school children in the nation's seven states with the highest concentration of illegals was $3.1 billion in 1993 (extrapolated to $4.6 billion in 1996 by FAIR), but this estimate does not at all take into account the additional costs of bilingual education or other special educational needs.
  • It is estimated that the number of children born to illegal aliens each year is 165,000. This figure is based on the crude birth rate of the total foreign-born population (33 birth per 1000) and the size of the illegal alien population (five million).
  • In 1994, California paid for 74,987 deliveries to illegal alien mothers, at a total cost of $215.2 million (an average of $2,842 per delivery). Illegal alien mothers accounted for 36 percent of all Medi-Cal funded births in California that year.
What This All Means and What Can Be Done

Higher Taxes: The federal government has control over immigration law for the United States. By not addressing this abuse, the funds that state and local governments must provide to anchor babies amounts to a virtual tax on U.S. citizens to subsidize illegal aliens.

Disrespect for the rule of law: By not closing this loophole, the federal government in effect rewards law-breakers and punishes those who have chosen to follow the rules and immigrate legally. Allowing illegal aliens to give birth to American citizens, in effect, makes citizenship a license for welfare. [Peter Brimelow. National Review, April 7, 1997.]

The present guarantee under American law of automatic birthright citizenship to the children of illegal aliens can operate...as one more incentive to illegal migration and violation by nonimmigrant aliens already here[.] When this attraction is combined with the powerful lure of the expanded entitlements conferred upon citizen children and their families by the modern welfare state, the total incentive effect of birthright citizenship may well become significant.

Profs. Peter Schuck and Rogers Smith, "Consensual Citizenship," Chronicles, July 1992.

Congressional action warranted: The 14th Amendment stipulates that Congress has the power to enforce its provisions by enactment of legislation and the power to enforce a law is necessarily accompanied by the authority to interpret that law. Therefore, an act of Congress stating its interpretation of the 14th Amendment, as not to include the offspring of illegal aliens, would fall within Congress's prerogative.
[FAIR supports legislation introduced into the current Congress to change the automatic conferral of citizenship to children of illegal aliens. See the Legislative Update page for H.R.7 by Rep Brian Bilbray (R-CA) and H.R.346 by Rep Bob Stump (R-AZ). An excellent description of the issue written by Rep. Bilbray was published by the San Diego Union-Tribune on August 17, 1997. Bilbray Op-Ed]

http://www.americanpatrol.com/REFERE...baby_FAIR.html

This is an older article that pretty much sums it up. Let me know if you want links to other, more recent ones with the current cost estimates.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:01 PM

If those babies are born sick or handicapped, guess who pays for their expensive treatments? TAXPAYERS!

Old 11-22-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
If those babies are born sick or handicapped, guess who pays for their expensive treatments? TAXPAYERS!
Yep. It is costing us BILLIONS annually even for those born healthy.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:06 PM

Woman gives birth on US/Mexico Border

This story from the Houston Chronicle online reports that a border patrol agent helped a woman give birth on the banks of the Rio Grande River, on the border between Texas and Mexico.
The story is brief, and simply reports that the agent does not know whether the woman and the man accompanying her were undocumented or not, but this is just one example of what immigration in this country has devolved into.
A few years ago I worked as an advocate for Latina immigrant women in Pennsylvania, most of whom were here without documents. I helped them find prenatal care, apply for emergency medical assistance and care for their newborn children. The stories that I would hear from these women were terrifying. The trials and tribulations of crossing the border, usually in unsafe conditions, quite of few of them pregnant while crossing.
One can only imagine the desperation that would lead a woman to attempt such a crossing at nine months pregnant. One woman I worked with had ridden for hours in the trunk of a car with a few other men to cross. Countless women are abused by the people they pay (huge sums) to bring them over (called coyotes), as well as their travelling partners and I’m sure some border patrol officials once they arrive in the United States. Death rates on the border are high, with people getting lost in the desert, and dying of starvation and dehydration.
The situation with immigration continues to deteriorate, and Bush’s calls to heighten border security and build million dollar fences will not alleviate the problem. We need humane and reasonable immigration policies, that don’t discriminate against the people we rely on for manual labor, who keep this country running by working in the factories, fields, restaurants and hotels.

Woman gives birth on US/Mexico Border Radical Doula

Crossing our borders pregnant and sometimes in full blown labor is the one of the biggest scams they've got going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration