Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2008, 06:15 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
50 million of 300 million is 1/6, not 1/8, but I think her statement of...
was made more to reflect the attitude of those who are illegally taking advantage.
Thank you. The hated gringo= anyone who, in the minds of the illegals, stole their land. You do not have to be white. African Americans and citizens of other ethnic backgrounds were here in the US when their land was stolen. No doubt all are considered equally culpable.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:15 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,157,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Haven't read the whole thread... but are you aware of the income guidelines for WIC? Ask your aunt about that. WIC income guidelines are very high compared to other social programs. So there are probably PLENTY, regardless of ethnicity, who do not appear to "need it". It doesn't have the same restrictions and guidelines as food stamps, as it is a supplemental nutrition program designed to assist pregnant women and kids under age 5 only.

Now, I personally don't agree with WIC making formula so easy to get because it is expensive and I think that someone should have to try and feed their babies the free and natural way first before getting free formula and I think WIC should do MORE to encourage and support breastfeeding (they do some, but IMO not enough)... but that's my own personal cause and really irrelevant so I'll leave it be.

jmarquise
; the kids wouldn't starve without WIC, sorry to burst your bubble. WIC is for preggo women, babies, kids under 5. Okay, so maybe some babies would be in really bad shape if the formula wasn't provided by WIC but otherwise, WIC is not FEEDING the kids completely. It is supplementing. It by no means provides a full menu.
As I explained in one of my posts, it is fairly easy to cheat it. They provide "reduced" checks and show WIC as proof of their income to meet the guidelines.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:19 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
US Census Press Releases (http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/population/011910.html - broken link)

According to one of the anti-illegal think tanks CIS..

Homeward Bound: Recent Immigration Enforcement and the Decline in the Illegal Alien Population | Center for Immigration Studies

So how does half of 45.5 million = 12 million? Your claim just doesn't add up! Besides not all of the illegal immigrant population are hispanic.
The Bear Stearns estimate made in 2006 put the illegal population at over 20 million. My own 'figuring', using the numbers reported by USBP, put that number closer to 30 million. I'll explain it to you if you want, but suffice it to say 12 million is a ridiculously low estimate.

Over 90% of illegals in America come from Mexico, Central and South America, i.e. Hispanic. Ballparking the illegal Hispanic population at 25 million and the total Hispanic population at 50 million gives us 1/2, give or take.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:20 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Thank you. The hated gringo= anyone who, in the minds of the illegals, stole their land. You do not have to be white. African Americans and citizens of other ethnic backgrounds were here in the US when their land was stolen.

Not that I care about any land that was stolen over a hundred years ago,
but its not just those pinche Mexicans and illegals who think the U.S. stole Mexican land.

Quote:
Joshua Giddings led a group of dissenters in Washington D.C. He called the war with Mexico "an aggressive, unholy, and unjust war," and voted against supplying soldiers and weapons for the war. He said:
"In the murder of Mexicans upon their own soil, or in robbing them of their country, I can take no part either now or here-after. The guilt of these crimes must rest on others. I will not participate in them."[20]

Quote:
Whig leader Robert Toombs of Georgia declared:
"This war is a nondescript.... We charge the President with usurping the war-making power... with seizing a country... which had been for centuries, and was then in the possession of the Mexicans.... Let us put a check upon this lust of dominion. We had territory enough, Heaven knew."[21]
Quote:
Northern abolitionists attacked the war as an attempt by slave-owners -- frequently referred to as "the Slave Power" — to expand the grip of slavery and thus assure their continued influence in the federal government. Acting on his convictions, Henry David Thoreau was jailed for his refusal to pay taxes to support the war, and penned his famous essay, Civil Disobedience.
Former President John Quincy Adams also expressed his belief that the war was fundamentally an effort to expand slavery in a speech he gave before the House on May 25, 1846.[22] In response to such concerns, Democratic Congressman David Wilmot introduced the Wilmot Proviso, which aimed to prohibit slavery in any new territory acquired from Mexico. Wilmot's proposal did not pass Congress, but it spurred further hostility between the factions.

Quote:
President Ulysses S. Grant, who as a young army officer had served in Mexico under General Taylor, recalled in his Memoirs, published in 1885, that:
"Generally, the officers of the army were indifferent whether the annexation was consummated or not; but not so all of them. For myself, I was bitterly opposed to the measure, and to this day regard the war, which resulted, as one of the most unjust ever waged by a stronger against a weaker nation. It was an instance of a republic following the bad example of European monarchies, in not considering justice in their desire to acquire additional territory." [38]
Grant also expressed the view that the war against Mexico had brought God's punishment on the United States in the form of the American Civil War:
"The Southern rebellion was largely the outgrowth of the Mexican war. Nations, like individuals, are punished for their transgressions. We got our punishment in the most sanguinary and expensive war of modern times." [39]
In 1879, while in China during his post presidential world tour, Grant told John Russell Young: "I had very strong opinions on the subject. I do not think there was ever a more wicked war than that waged by the United States on Mexico. I had a horror of the Mexican War, and I have always believed that it was on our part most unjust. The wickedness was not in the way our soldiers conducted it, but in the conduct of our government in declaring was. We had no claim on Mexico. Texas had no claim beyond the Nueces River, and yet we pushed on to the Rio Grande and crossed it. I am always ashamed of my country when I think of that invasion"

But you know, I'm just saying.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:20 PM

Because GuyPinestra's opinion on how many illegals are in the U.S proves all major sources wrong.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:25 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Are you sure you didnt dig in their trash for that?
No the illegals like to throw trash in my yards. At least this time I didn't find any bullet casings.

I'm sure you would want me punished if I had committed a crime, right?

Old 07-31-2008, 06:29 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
No the illegals like to throw trash in my yards. At least this time I didn't find any bullet casings.

I'm sure you would want me punished if I had committed a crime, right?
Nah, I wouldnt care. I just think you would like the old lady neighbor who spends her day looking out of her window with the little opera binoculars like they show on tv.

Ever seen the Burbs with Tom Hanks?

Old 07-31-2008, 06:29 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Haven't read the whole thread... but are you aware of the income guidelines for WIC? Ask your aunt about that. WIC income guidelines are very high compared to other social programs. So there are probably PLENTY, regardless of ethnicity, who do not appear to "need it". It doesn't have the same restrictions and guidelines as food stamps, as it is a supplemental nutrition program designed to assist pregnant women and kids under age 5 only.

Now, I personally don't agree with WIC making formula so easy to get because it is expensive and I think that someone should have to try and feed their babies the free and natural way first before getting free formula and I think WIC should do MORE to encourage and support breastfeeding (they do some, but IMO not enough)... but that's my own personal cause and really irrelevant so I'll leave it be.

jmarquise
; the kids wouldn't starve without WIC, sorry to burst your bubble. WIC is for preggo women, babies, kids under 5. Okay, so maybe some babies would be in really bad shape if the formula wasn't provided by WIC but otherwise, WIC is not FEEDING the kids completely. It is supplementing. It by no means provides a full menu.
However, there are free breakfasts and lunches when they get to pre-K, Kindergarten, Elementary and Secondary Schools.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:31 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Because GuyPinestra's opinion on how many illegals are in the U.S proves all major sources wrong.
In 2000, the US Census put the figure at 9 million.

From 2001 through 2006, the USBP arrested an average of 1 million illegal border-crossers per year. The USBP estimates that they catch only 1 in 5 crossers. That means 4 million a year get across.

Even John McCain admitted in a letter that 4 million got across in 2004. You can find a copy of it at the Dustin Inman Society website, if you like.

So do the math, Californio.

9 million plus 20 million is 29 million. Seems pretty simple to me.

And let's not forget that back in 1986, the government and all the 'experts' predicted that 1.2 million would eligible for THAT amnesty, while the ACTUAL number was 3 million. Assuming a similar miscalculation today, 30 million seems pretty likely.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
However, there are free breakfasts and lunches when they get to pre-K, Kindergarten, Elementary and Secondary Schools.
Which anyone can get provided having a "reduced" check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration