U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 12:09 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,174,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
I'll play. I see a world that looks very much like the one right outside my doorstep in Los Angeles. There are screaming Armenians (sorry but it's true) yelling at the top of their lungs in their front yard, and the man is beating his wife while their children hide and cower. My neighbor is calling the police on them for domestic violence. The city has already removed their pets for animal abuse. When I tried in the past to confront them in a neighborly, kind fashion at 2 in the morning when they were partying loudly with more yelling and amplified music in their front yard, they screamed at me that "they can do whatever they want." This is not the American way. We factor in consideration for others outside of your immediate home.

Condensing past true events into your game, the people from Mexico (sorry, but it's true) have killed my tree, because they came over into my yard by about 12 feet and cut off branches so badly that the tree, the biggest flowering Bauhinia tree in my sector of L.A., will die in ten years. This is because interpretation of property rights vary from country to country, and theirs was "my house is their house" instead of the American "my home is my castle."

I'll probably be hit by unlicensed drivers and have three more cars totalled by them in the next years as I have had in the last seven, since interpretation of automobile safety varies from country to country. It's funny, but everyone I know here whose car has been totalled, as opposed to just fender benders, has had them totalled by people from countries other than the U.S., licensed and unlicensed. In my case, it was by two Mexicans and one Russian. Sorry, but it's true. American regard for personal accountability and road safety is not paramount in many other cultures.

My educated mastery of English to express context and clarity now is considered worthless. (Hardly any signage where I now live even features English as a secondary afterthought.) My very employability is also worthless, since females are considered inferior to men in the cultures that will predominate in the "quantity of life over quality of life" mindset. My pets will be confiscated, since animals are considered "unclean." My photography is not welcome, since representational art is considered offensive to some religions.

America at least attempts a sense of fairplay and equality in its, yes, culture. When it changes overall into what I see outside my doorstep, it will be a living hell for anyone who isn't a powerful bully. Albert Camus was right in "Huis Clos": hell is other people.
It was a pleasure to rep you for this post.

Imagine, indeed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 12:19 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Let's play a game, imagine a world without borders or immigration controls and describe it.

then imagine a world with working immigration policies that reduce illegal immigration to almost 0 and describe it too.

have phun!
I imagine this quite often and try to live as close to this model as I can.
However, as fastfilm described the main thing missing from the dream which takes this scenario from game to reality, is respect.

People in general lack respect for others, if we all had respect, this dream could occur IMO.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:50 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
However, as fastfilm described the main thing missing from the dream which takes this scenario from game to reality, is respect.

People in general lack respect for others, if we all had respect, this dream could occur IMO.
Well said.....

Old 07-31-2008, 04:23 PM

3,162 posts, read 10,295,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post

I agree, I guess the problem is more lack of respect or consideration for others, lawlesness or the lack moral responsibilty when accident happens, than immigration, be either legal or illegal.

I doubt this is because they come from different cultures, and more because of a lack of common sense.

common sense is called like that because it should be common to every wise human being regardless of the culture where he was raised.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:36 PM

605 posts, read 2,186,974 times
Quote:
what about an earth filled with flying spaghetti monsters?
Hmmm...... flying spaghetti monsters.....

Old 07-31-2008, 08:04 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Let's play a game, imagine a world without borders or immigration controls and describe it.

then imagine a world with working immigration policies that reduce illegal immigration to almost 0 and describe it too.

have phun!

The first would be a very tribalistic world, clans fighting one another, raiding villages for food and so on. Clan leaders would become very powerful, and of course people would be living in extreme poverty. Unity would be destroyed with all the separate tribal groups unable to communicate with one another.

The working immigration policies would mean mutual respect for each others' territory and customs. Most children would enter school prepared to learn. Hiring practices could become fair again, labor laws would be back in place.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:25 PM

1,238 posts, read 2,180,457 times
In a world with open borders, I'm killed in the middle of a drug fight between two Mexicans. My girlfriend is raped and forced to live with people who would otherwise be considered illegal immigrants in a sex slave ring.

In a world where illegal immigration didn't exist, I live happily ever after.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:45 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
In a world with open borders, I'm killed in the middle of a drug fight between two Mexicans. My girlfriend is raped and forced to live with people who would otherwise be considered illegal immigrants in a sex slave ring.

Thanks for playing.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:58 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,994,570 times
Quote:

Sorry, wrong forum.

Nightmares and Fantasies is two doors down.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:09 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:

Imagine with 0 illegal immigration, then Mexicans and Central Americans would realize that their homelands are their future, they will decide that they have to work to make them better, maybe do one of their protests like they did here but marching on Mexico City informing their own government that there is going to be change and now.

More fathers will come home every evening to help raise their children, children will know what their mother looks like instead of having the parents live 3000 miles away, they'll be home teaching and guiding them. Children raised by their parents instead of whatever will turn out better, be less inclined toward crimes such as drug trafficking and kidnapping.

The non-illegals will open businesses of their own in their own hometowns, they'll get their farms producing again. All this progress would eliminate the need for massive illegal immigration to the USA. All the jobs created by the non-illegals in their own country would also make the youth less susceptible to crimes like drug trafficking and kidnapping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration