U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 08:41 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,019,301 times

Advertisements

I'll expand on the positives of malamute's posts above. America's culture at least tries to promote fairness and equality for all, not to mention placing importance on opportunity. Many of the third world emigrants coming here, both legally and illegally, only hone in on the opportunity part of the equation. They still hold fast to their tribalistic or quasi-tribalistic beliefs that they are the only people with the right values on the planet and everyone else is dead wrong, even thinking everyone else in America, they country to which they chose to move, is dead wrong for being, well, Americans.

The problem with our well-regarded, (hey, I've repped him!) delightful poster travelling fella's idyll is that there do exist incompatible belief systems. The mindset of one of the world's major religions outside America is that I, a female who works doing representational art (photography) for a living, of a normal American independent nature and loving my beloved animals, would be considered an abomination in those religions which are inextricable from their government systems, and I would be imprisoned for my everyday, normal life here. This is currently being attempted and promoted in certain European countries as we read.

Tribalism, or the belief that no one really matters outside your family or immediate grouping, also has one fatal flaw for continued existence in the modern world. It limits like mad. Here's an example: I've been to Kenya, where the government re-allotted farms to citizens. The problem was that these farms were then too small to farm productively. Feeding an ever-expanding population is too important an enterprise to not work.

There is such a thing as the greater good, part of true civilization. (Old joke: culture is making a nice bowl out of your enemy's skull. Civilization is putting you in prison for doing just that.) It would be better for Kenya, and indeed most nations, to have efficient agriculture in order to feed people. Feeding people is preposterously important. Now, expand this concept to other important areas of socio-economics and governance.

In fact the precept most astounding to people from other countries I encounter in my neighborhood activism here in L.A. is that anyone would work for things to be better for everyone, not just their immediate family or people from the country that they themselves left. I'm sorry, this is the good American concept under which I attempt to change things for the better. America does have its own culture...

Last edited by fastfilm; 08-01-2008 at 09:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 09:32 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
I'll expand on the positives of malamute's posts above. America's culture at least tries to promote fairness and equality for all, not to mention placing importance on opportunity. Many of the third world emigrants coming here, both legally and illegally, only hone in on the opportunity part of the equation. They still hold fast to their tribalistic or quasi-tribalistic beliefs that they are the only people with the right values on the planet and everyone else is dead wrong, even thinking everyone else in America, they country to which they chose to move, is dead wrong for being, well, Americans.

The problem with our well-regarded, (hey, I've repped him!) delightful poster travelling fella's idyll is that there do exist incompatible belief systems. The mindset of one of the world's major religions outside America is that I, a female who works doing representational art (photography) for a living, of a normal American independent nature and loving my beloved animals, would be considered an abomination in those religions which are inextricable from their government systems, and I would be imprisoned for my everyday, normal life here. This is currently being attempted an promoted in certain European countries as we read.

Tribalism, or the belief that no one really matters outside your family or immediate grouping, also has one fatal flaw for continued existence in the modern world. It limits like mad. Here's an example: I've been to Kenya, where the government re-allotted farms to citizens. The problem was that these farms were then too small to farm productively. Feeding an ever-expanding population is too important an enterprise to not work.

There is such a thing as the greater good, part of true civilization. (Old joke: culture is making a nice bowl out of your enemy's skull. Civilization is putting you in prison for doing just that.) It would be better for Kenya, and indeed most nations, to have efficient agriculture in order to feed people. Feeding people is preposterously important. Now, expand this councept to other important areas of socio-economics and governance.

In fact the precept most astounding to people from other countries I encounter in my neighborhood activism here in L.A. is that anyone would work for things to be better for everyone, not just their immediate family or people from the country that they themselves left. I'm sorry, this is the good American concept under which I attempt to change things for the better. America does have its own culture...
Brilliant points..can't 'rep' you enough. SO appropriate to today's situation, yet SO ignored..or even DENIED...by so many 'multiculturalists'. Cultures are different, mant times in ways that make them incompatible. You can't 'have it both ways', and cultures don't so often 'get along' as equals, as they 'get along' because one simply submits to the other, and 'steps aside'.

As I've often said, radically different cultures can successfully co-exist across oceans, borders, or mountain ranges...but it's pretty hard for them to co-exist across the street, or across the backyard fence. SOMEBODY, at some point, is going to 'dominate'....that's what makes them 'different cultures'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration