U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 12:08 PM

13,048 posts, read 21,158,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Does it make sense that people who are the descendants of the Spanish and Portuguese get to check a box that is different from the descendants of the Italians and the French? To me this doesn't make much sense either. During the 1970's or so the US government decided to start taking information on Hispanic or Latino origin and even snow white people of unmixed European origin who pertain to this group began to receive separate classification. What makes even LESS sense is that people of Italian and French origin ARE Latin but nevertheless are not counted in the Hispanic/Latino category. It really puts me off to hear people lumping Italians with "Anglos" and Spaniards with "Hispanics" as if the two national originls belong in separate groups. I agree with collecting separate data on race and ethnicity; I just think that how we classify people of Hispanic/Latino ancestry (and juxtapose them with people of similar southern European ancestry) needs to be revisited.

And yes, I believe that slightly over half of this country's population is composed of white Anglo Saxons (but admittedly, not necessarily Protestant). Italians, Russians, Poles, and other "ethnic" non-Anglo Saxon European groups are not part of this majority but when they are lumped into "white non-Hispanic" they become part of it, boosting this to a majority of about 70% of the United States population. So, on a technicality, people of Italian descent are counted into the "white non-Hispanic" majority whereas a person of Spanish descent would be counted with the "Hispanic (of any race)" minority. Only in the United States would a Persian or Moroccan person be counted into our "majority" and a Hispanic-American of Spanish descent whose family has lived here for generations be counted as a "minority" !
Why? Who asked? Does that seem fair to you? As an individual whose ancestry is an enthic minority from Eastern Europe, I object to being lumped with the WASPs. I could write a 400 page tome about the reasons why.

Don't get me wrong - I think this whole thing is just absurd. The fact is, our country has made a mockery of race and ethnic relations. The salad bowl is getting blown up, so to speak.

I think the caucasians who are riding the minority benefits train with the rest of their Amerindian "Latinos" is proof positive that 'the system' isn't doing what it was out to do. Do you see what I am getting at? Complex, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 12:17 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
The classifications are indeed complex and perplexing. My son has 1 white parent and 1 black parent; 2 white grandparents, 1 half-white grandparent, and 1 black grandparent; 5 white great-grandparents, and 3 black. I won't even get into his great-great grandparents -- otherwise I would have to add American Indian to the mix. How the heck do you classify that?

Due to the "one drop rule" he is simply black.

I do agree that many so-called white "Hispanics" are in fact taking advantage of the benefits of "minority" status.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:19 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
The classifications are indeed complex and perplexing. My son has 1 white parent and 1 black parent; 2 white grandparents, 1 half-white grandparent, and 1 black grandparent; 5 white great-grandparents, and 3 black. I won't even get into his great-great grandparents -- otherwise I would have to add American Indian to the mix. How the heck do you classify that?

Due to the "one drop rule" he is simply black.

I do agree that many so-called white "Hispanics" are in fact taking advantage of the benefits of "minority" status.
It is their justification of the theory of power in numbers . . .

Old 08-04-2008, 12:31 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,273,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I think the caucasians who are riding the minority benefits train with the rest of their Amerindian "Latinos" is proof positive that 'the system' isn't doing what it was out to do. Do you see what I am getting at? Complex, isn't it?
White Hispanic people are actually OVERREPRESENTED on television, in business, and in many places in the country, in local politics. When there used to be racial/ethnic quotas used by universities (this is now unconstitutional), many of the slots reserved for "minorities" were filled with middle and upper class white Americans who happened to be of Hispanic origin. Lumping all "Hispanics" together regardless of race or class just doesn't solve much.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:46 PM

13,048 posts, read 21,158,596 times
Quote:
White Hispanic people are actually OVERREPRESENTED on television, in business, and in many places in the country, in local politics. When there used to be racial/ethnic quotas used by universities (this is now unconstitutional), many of the slots reserved for "minorities" were filled with middle and upper class white Americans who happened to be of Hispanic origin. Lumping all "Hispanics" together regardless of race or class just doesn't solve much.
Doesn't seem fair, does it? It's great for those caucasians who happen to speak Spanish, though. So why penalize the caucasians who speak other languages (Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Latvian, Russian, etc.) by lumping them with the WASPs? What about them makes them automatically grouped with the WASPs?

All the more proof that this whole race/ethnicity classification/categorization needs fixing (or maybe we could just abandon it all together and we can start seeing people based on merit and their actual contributions instead of the compartments we've stuffed them all into up until now? just a thought).

Old 08-04-2008, 01:17 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Doesn't seem fair, does it? It's great for those caucasians who happen to speak Spanish, though. So why penalize the caucasians who speak other languages (Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Latvian, Russian, etc.) by lumping them with the WASPs? What about them makes them automatically grouped with the WASPs?

All the more proof that this whole race/ethnicity classification/categorization needs fixing (or maybe we could just abandon it all together and we can start seeing people based on merit and their actual contributions instead of the compartments we've stuffed them all into up until now? just a thought).
ITA! As I've previously mentioned; I don't understand how two people with identical heritage can be labeled differently solely due to the language they speak or their country of origin; i.e. an Argentine of French/Italian heritage, and a European of the same heritage. The Argentine is classified as “Hispanic” and therefore entitled to “special” minority treatment, while the European is not.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:23 PM

1,861 posts, read 2,967,537 times
Quote:
Not to mention that the original INTENT of any kind of quotas was ONLY for African-Americans.

Then, everybody jumped on the bandwagon, and our government was too stupid to stop it.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:54 AM

1,417 posts, read 851,725 times
The states with the least amount of caucasians are the southern western states. The states that were annexed from Mexico.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:02 PM

608 posts, read 880,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
This is an interesting Map.

USA Population: 1790 to 2000 and beyond

Pick a year and see what the population is... then click another and see how its changed.

This is nothing but a buch of hype to get you all excited. It is total bunk and has no basis. Check out the conclusions link and you will see how balanced it is. It is nothing more than someone's opinion and fancy work with Microsoft Excel. The mothod does nothing to take into account changes in the economy, racial birth trends and assumes Microsoft has rigged the forecasting. Honestly...

Quote:
Forecasting Methodology
The estimates for the future are based on the trendlines starting with the 1960 census through the 2000 census. I did a straight line projection of the numbers by dragging over the columns in an Excel spreadsheet. Blame Microsoft if you don't like the results I guess (FYI, Microsoft lobbies heavily for increased immigration). The trend is an accelerating one through the 2000 census which is why the graphs curve upwards.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:11 PM

608 posts, read 880,943 times
Quote:
Does it make sense that people who are the descendants of the Spanish and Portuguese get to check a box that is different from the descendants of the Italians and the French? To me this doesn't make much sense either. During the 1970's or so the US government decided to start taking information on Hispanic or Latino origin and even snow white people of unmixed European origin who pertain to this group began to receive separate classification. What makes even LESS sense is that people of Italian and French origin ARE Latin but nevertheless are not counted in the Hispanic/Latino category. It really puts me off to hear people lumping Italians with "Anglos" and Spaniards with "Hispanics" as if the two national originls belong in separate groups. I agree with collecting separate data on race and ethnicity; I just think that how we classify people of Hispanic/Latino ancestry (and juxtapose them with people of similar southern European ancestry) needs to be revisited.

And yes, I believe that slightly over half of this country's population is composed of white Anglo Saxons (but admittedly, not necessarily Protestant). Italians, Russians, Poles, and other "ethnic" non-Anglo Saxon European groups are not part of this majority but when they are lumped into "white non-Hispanic" they become part of it, boosting this to a majority of about 70% of the United States population. So, on a technicality, people of Italian descent are counted into the "white non-Hispanic" majority whereas a person of Spanish descent would be counted with the "Hispanic (of any race)" minority. Only in the United States would a Persian or Moroccan person be counted into our "majority" and a Hispanic-American of Spanish descent whose family has lived here for generations be counted as a "minority" !

I just check "other". It is sooo much easier!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration