Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 01:13 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times

Advertisements

No it's not. It dodges the question and saves you... what?.... two-tenths of a second?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 10:27 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
This is an interesting Map.

USA Population: 1790 to 2000 and beyond

Pick a year and see what the population is... then click another and see how its changed.

Good post. I do note that it does not seem to take Native Americans into account...

Old 08-05-2008, 10:30 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
How can Hispanic be separated from white, when Hispanic is NOT a race? You do realize it's possible to be both white and Hispanic, don't you? This is precisely why the census classifications include White/Hispanic, White/Non-Hispanic.
My SIL is [American born] Cuban and her children are listed on birth cert. as White/Hispanic (NYS)

Old 02-03-2010, 06:11 PM

983 posts, read 3,598,720 times
Default Ras di Amrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Does it make sense that people who are the descendants of the Spanish and Portuguese get to check a box that is different from the descendants of the Italians and the French? To me this doesn't make much sense either. During the 1970's or so the US government decided to start taking information on Hispanic or Latino origin and even snow white people of unmixed European origin who pertain to this group began to receive separate classification. What makes even LESS sense is that people of Italian and French origin ARE Latin but nevertheless are not counted in the Hispanic/Latino category. It really puts me off to hear people lumping Italians with "Anglos" and Spaniards with "Hispanics" as if the two national originls belong in separate groups. I agree with collecting separate data on race and ethnicity; I just think that how we classify people of Hispanic/Latino ancestry (and juxtapose them with people of similar southern European ancestry) needs to be revisited.

And yes, I believe that slightly over half of this country's population is composed of white Anglo Saxons (but admittedly, not necessarily Protestant). Italians, Russians, Poles, and other "ethnic" non-Anglo Saxon European groups are not part of this majority but when they are lumped into "white non-Hispanic" they become part of it, boosting this to a majority of about 70% of the United States population. So, on a technicality, people of Italian descent are counted into the "white non-Hispanic" majority whereas a person of Spanish descent would be counted with the "Hispanic (of any race)" minority. Only in the United States would a Persian or Moroccan person be counted into our "majority" and a Hispanic-American of Spanish descent whose family has lived here for generations be counted as a "minority" !
The de facto fourfold classification of race prevalent in America today (Asian, Black, Latino, and White) is a simplification. We all know that. One thing for sure: Each one lumps very diverse peoples together into a so called race. Being snow white doesn't mean you have to be White in America. There are snow white people who are Black or Asian. I don't see why it should be a surprise that there are snow white people who are Latino.

What many people don't know is that the notion of race in American context is much more than just about skin color. In fact it's often more about culture & ethnicity. That is why a snow white person can still be 100% Black in America.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:26 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
The de facto fourfold classification of race prevalent in America today (Asian, Black, Latino, and White) is a simplification. We all know that. One thing for sure: Each one lumps very diverse peoples together into a so called race. Being snow white doesn't mean you have to be White in America. There are snow white people who are Black or Asian. I don't see why it should be a surprise that there are snow white people who are Latino.

What many people don't know is that the notion of race in American context is much more than just about skin color. In fact it's often more about culture & ethnicity. That is why a snow white person can still be 100% Black in America.

Unless going by the 'One Drop Rule' (that any 'Black' blood makes one Black-------which is a genetic farce at best); there are precious few white skinned people who self identify as AA. Flip side: there are quite a few (Anglo) Whites with known 'Black' heritage who do self identify as White.

Hispanic/Latino are political labels only---------there is no specific 'Latino' DNA on the helix

As for fair skinned Asians: I have seen quite a few and was surprised that they were 'full blood' Oriental---------I would have pegged them as Eurasian.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:38 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Just answering: NOPE.

It's already unbearable with the millions and their offspring here illegally.
I hear you, alreaady so many people. And to think More will come, crowded already. And those here illegally, and their offspring, don't help us any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration