Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 06:01 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,406,785 times

Advertisements

From the Chicago Tribune Triage blog: Sending sick undocumented immigrants back home

By Judith Graham and Deanese Williams-Harris |Chicago Tribune reporter August 20, 2008
Francisco Pantaleon's relatives are trying to prevent the undocumented immigrant, who is in a coma, from being returned to Mexico. (Family photo)

A 30-year-old Mexican man in a coma at the University of Illinois (http://www.newsday.com/topic/education/colleges-universities/university-of-illinois-at-urbana-champaign-OREDU0000155.topic - broken link) Medical Center at Chicago (http://www.newsday.com/topic/us/illinois/cook-county/chicago-PLGEO0100100501250000.topic - broken link) has ignited a dispute over a little-known practice at hospitals—sending medically needy undocumented immigrants back to their countries of origin.

The disagreement revolves around Francisco Pantaleon, who arrived in the U.S. 11 years ago and suffered a severe brain hemorrhage in mid-July, according to his sister Socorro. A father of two, Pantaleon worked at a carwash and has no health insurance, she said.

The medical center believes there is "little hope for recovery," according to a statement released Tuesday, and officials arranged for Pantaleon to be transferred to a hospital in Acapulco at UIC (http://www.newsday.com/topic/education/colleges-universities/university-of-illinois-at-chicago-OREDU0000154.topic - broken link)'s expense. An official said his immediate family consented to the move.

But Pantaleon's sister and cousin are protesting that arrangement and have retained lawyers in hopes of preventing it. "This is an injustice," said his sister, who worries that Pantaleon won't survive the trip or find adequate care in Mexico.

Undocumented immigrant in coma set to be returned to Mexico -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/topic/chi-patient-deportaug20,0,6904345.story - broken link)

ICE needs to deport the entire family. I am so sick of the arrogance of these parasites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 06:33 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
She says = "This is an injustice" ???? Uh, who has been paying for the guy's care? Do ya'll know how much it costs to take care of a patient in his state? Dear me.

And this is "an injustice." In Mexico, he would have just died then and there. Here, he has received the best of care (FREE, may I add) and despite being told that the young man has little chance for recovery . . . his family is so ungrateful for what he HAS received . . . that they refer to it as AN INJUSTICE?????

Do you know what would happen to any of the rest of us - citizens - if we had someone in the bed in a vegetative state, running up hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of care daily?

Medical debt is the number two cause of bankruptcy in this country. And these people are protesting b/c the hospital is gonna turn off the FREEBIE medical care and send the guy back to his HOME.

Does this strike anyone else as past absurd?

Old 08-20-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
She says = "This is an injustice" ???? Uh, who has been paying for the guy's care? Do ya'll know how much it costs to take care of a patient in his state? Dear me.

And this is "an injustice." In Mexico, he would have just died then and there. Here, he has received the best of care (FREE, may I add) and despite being told that the young man has little chance for recovery . . . his family is so ungrateful for what he HAS received . . . that they refer to it as AN INJUSTICE?????

Do you know what would happen to any of the rest of us - citizens - if we had someone in the bed in a vegetative state, running up hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of care daily?

Medical debt is the number two cause of bankruptcy in this country. And these people are protesting b/c the hospital is gonna turn off the FREEBIE medical care and send the guy back to his HOME.

Does this strike anyone else as past absurd?
FYI, the tab so far is $250K. Despite the fact that the University of Illinois is willing to pay for his transport back to Mexico (in addition to eating the $250k) the cow known as his "wife" (who is probably an illegal alien as well) has the nerve to say she does NOT want him to go to hospital in Mexico. Yet we have plenty of people living in Illinois who have no health care and would be refused treatment, without setting up a payment plan unless it was an extreme emergency. Even after the citizen was out of their coma they would still be expected to pay.

The Illinois resident in me is tempted to drive over to that hospital and yank out every single plug that's keeping him alive. I am not a mean person but these arrogant asshats are really starting to _iss me off.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:58 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,995,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
FYI, the tab so far is $250K. Despite the fact that the University of Illinois is willing to pay for his transport back to Mexico (in addition to eating the $250k) the cow known as his "wife" (who is probably an illegal alien as well) has the nerve to say she does NOT want him to go to hospital in Mexico. Yet we have plenty of people living in Illinois who have no health care and would be refused treatment, without setting up a payment plan unless it was an extreme emergency. Even after the citizen was out of their coma they would still be expected to pay.

The Illinois resident in me is tempted to drive over to that hospital and yank out every single plug that's keeping him alive. I am not a mean person but these arrogant asshats are really starting to _iss me off.

yeah, it's a sad world where ppl from other countries have the gall to call the shots when it comes to situations like these. they have more rights than an american citizen, who would have been thrown out and been forced to declare bankruptcy to pay all of the hospital bills.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
yeah, it's a sad world where ppl from other countries have the gall to call the shots when it comes to situations like these. they have more rights than an american citizen, who would have been thrown out and been forced to declare bankruptcy to pay all of the hospital bills.
What the hospital should have done is called ICE to have the arrogant illegal alien family whiners deported. I have no doubt that the arrogant cow that is his "wife" is an illegal alien. Their reason for not wanting him shipped back to Mexico was because . . . get this one: He would be too far away for them to visit him.

I'm sure the real reason is they are here illegally and are worrying about their own sorry asses not being able to bypass border patrol to get back in here.

Sounds like they love him dearly doesn't it?

Lulac is supposed to be holding a "press conference" in front of the hospital tomorrow.

Hopefully the laws will be revamped to include deportation of any traitorous American ambulance chasing "attorney" who represents the illegal alien scum of the earth like these criminals.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:10 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,215,838 times
Quote:
What the hospital should have done is called ICE to have the whiners deported. I have no doubt that the arrogant cow that is his "wife" is an illegal alien. Their reason for not wanting him shipped back to Mexico was because . . . get this one: He would be too far away for them to visit him.

Lulac is supposed to be holding a "press conference" in front of the hospital tomorrow.

Hopefully the laws will be revamped to include deportation of any traitorous American ambulance chasing "attorney" who represents the illegal alien scum of the earth like these criminals.
LOL Mom you kill me. I agree 100%. He is not our problem he is Mexico's.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
LOL Mom you kill me. I agree 100%. He is not our problem he is Mexico's.
Can you tell these people have gotten on my last nerve?

Old 08-20-2008, 07:19 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,995,631 times
Quote:
What the hospital should have done is called ICE to have the arrogant illegal alien family whiners deported. I have no doubt that the arrogant cow that is his "wife" is an illegal alien. Their reason for not wanting him shipped back to Mexico was because . . . get this one: He would be too far away for them to visit him.

I'm sure the real reason is they are here illegally and are worrying about their own sorry asses not being able to bypass border patrol to get back in here.

that is why i will not donate any money to LULAC. they used to care about advancing the rights and opportunities of americans of mexican descent. it seems like they only care about the rights of illegals these days.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:08 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,476,613 times
Quote:

I had read in the tribune that his sister and cousin were the ones making a scene outside the hospital. I got the impression that his wife had given permission for him to be moved.

Quote:
The medical center believes there is "little hope for recovery," according to a statement released Tuesday, and officials arranged for Pantaleon to be transferred to a hospital in Acapulco at UIC's expense. An official said his immediate family consented to the move.

But Pantaleon's sister and cousin are protesting that arrangement and have retained lawyers in hopes of preventing it. "This is an injustice," said his sister, who worries that Pantaleon won't survive the trip or find adequate care in Mexico.

"Dr. William Chamberlin, chief medical officer at UIC Medical Center.........We have worked with the individual who has had primary decision-making responsibility for the patient and had that person's full consent, he said."
If they have permission from his wife, they should be able to move him. Although who knows what his other relatives in cahoots with some lawyer can come up with. They are probably trying to hatch some scheme to keep him here indefinitely. Sadly, I don't think it really is not going to make much difference where he is from the sounds of things.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/immig...back-home.html

Old 08-20-2008, 08:10 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
From the Chicago Tribune Triage blog: Sending sick undocumented immigrants back home

By Judith Graham and Deanese Williams-Harris |Chicago Tribune reporter August 20, 2008
Francisco Pantaleon's relatives are trying to prevent the undocumented immigrant, who is in a coma, from being returned to Mexico. (Family photo)

A 30-year-old Mexican man in a coma at the University of Illinois (http://www.newsday.com/topic/education/colleges-universities/university-of-illinois-at-urbana-champaign-OREDU0000155.topic - broken link) Medical Center at Chicago (http://www.newsday.com/topic/us/illinois/cook-county/chicago-PLGEO0100100501250000.topic - broken link) has ignited a dispute over a little-known practice at hospitals—sending medically needy undocumented immigrants back to their countries of origin.

The disagreement revolves around Francisco Pantaleon, who arrived in the U.S. 11 years ago and suffered a severe brain hemorrhage in mid-July, according to his sister Socorro. A father of two, Pantaleon worked at a carwash and has no health insurance, she said.

The medical center believes there is "little hope for recovery," according to a statement released Tuesday, and officials arranged for Pantaleon to be transferred to a hospital in Acapulco at UIC (http://www.newsday.com/topic/education/colleges-universities/university-of-illinois-at-chicago-OREDU0000154.topic - broken link)'s expense. An official said his immediate family consented to the move.

Undocumented immigrant in coma set to be returned to Mexico -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/topic/chi-patient-deportaug20,0,6904345.story - broken link)

ICE needs to deport the entire family. I am so sick of the arrogance of these parasites.
Why don't these family members pay his hospital bill or do they not really care all that much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration