U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 03:43 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,999,152 times

Advertisements

Why do we hyphenate ourselves. No other immigrant country does, at least not to the degree we do. What's up with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 04:15 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,035,084 times
Multi-racial, yes of course: that's a sign of genuine, as opposed to fakey-PC, progressive thinking. Multi-cultural in America, a place wherein, unlike any other nation on earth, people from hundreds of global places of origin agreed (until 1986) to become Americans and share the best of their respective backgrounds while assimilating into the American way of life? No.

Where I live in L.A., there are five different languages spoken on my street, with little to no English spoken or understood, often by contentious personal choice. One can't even help people here if they, unlike the Brazilians all speaking Portuguese, have no basis whatsoever of communication. Our national motto is after all "E Pluribus Unum," not vice versa. Naturalized citizens here are some of the finest people I know: illegals I continually encounter are some of the worst.

America does have its own culture. America's culture at least tries to promote fairness and equality for all, not to mention placing importance on opportunity. Many of the third world emigrants coming here, both legally and illegally, only hone in on the opportunity part of the equation. They still hold fast to their tribalistic or quasi-tribalistic beliefs that they are the only people with the right values on the planet and everyone else is dead wrong, even thinking everyone else in America, they country to which they chose to move, is dead wrong for being, well, Americans.

The problem with multiculturalism is that there do exist incompatible belief systems. The mindset of one of the world's major religions outside America is that I, a female who works doing representational art (photography) for a living, of a normal American independent nature and loving my beloved animals, would be considered an abomination in those religions which are inextricable from their government systems, and I would be imprisoned for my everyday, normal life here. This is currently being attempted and promoted in certain European countries as we read.

I don't want my country to change into one where, at the most basic level, that of people living around my home, the meanest bullies dictate every aspect of your quality of life, like hearing their music blasting at stadium p.a.-levels 24/7 just because foreign nationals did that in their "home country," or misogynism and racial hostility regaining a foothold in this country again because foreign nationals say that was the norm in their "home country." This country has worked too hard to right wrongs to have them reimposed, deja vu, all over again.
Besides, other Americans retain pride in their myriad ancestries in the melting pot as an ancillary to being American, not as a divisive line in the sand. I'm an American, and the hundreds of other "home countries" of my neighbors are hardly mine and should not be superimposed as the only mindset possible. The aphorism "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" comes to mind, along with the undercurrent of that advanced civilization eventually being destroyed by aggressive invaders.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:27 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,013,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Multi-racial, yes of course: that's a sign of genuine, as opposed to fakey-PC, progressive thinking. Multi-cultural in America, a place wherein, unlike any other nation on earth, people from hundreds of global places of origin agreed (until 1986) to become Americans and share the best of their respective backgrounds while assimilating into the American way of life? No.

Where I live in L.A., there are five different languages spoken on my street, with little to no English spoken or understood, often by contentious personal choice. One can't even help people here if they, unlike the Brazilians all speaking Portuguese, have no basis whatsoever of communication. Our national motto is after all "E Pluribus Unum," not vice versa. Naturalized citizens here are some of the finest people I know: illegals I continually encounter are some of the worst.

America does have its own culture. America's culture at least tries to promote fairness and equality for all, not to mention placing importance on opportunity. Many of the third world emigrants coming here, both legally and illegally, only hone in on the opportunity part of the equation. They still hold fast to their tribalistic or quasi-tribalistic beliefs that they are the only people with the right values on the planet and everyone else is dead wrong, even thinking everyone else in America, they country to which they chose to move, is dead wrong for being, well, Americans.

The problem with multiculturalism is that there do exist incompatible belief systems. The mindset of one of the world's major religions outside America is that I, a female who works doing representational art (photography) for a living, of a normal American independent nature and loving my beloved animals, would be considered an abomination in those religions which are inextricable from their government systems, and I would be imprisoned for my everyday, normal life here. This is currently being attempted and promoted in certain European countries as we read.

I don't want my country to change into one where, at the most basic level, that of people living around my home, the meanest bullies dictate every aspect of your quality of life, like hearing their music blasting at stadium p.a.-levels 24/7 just because foreign nationals did that in their "home country," or misogynism and racial hostility regaining a foothold in this country again because foreign nationals say that was the norm in their "home country." This country has worked too hard to right wrongs to have them reimposed, deja vu, all over again.
Besides, other Americans retain pride in their myriad ancestries in the melting pot as an ancillary to being American, not as a divisive line in the sand. I'm an American, and the hundreds of other "home countries" of my neighbors are hardly mine and should not be superimposed as the only mindset possible. The aphorism "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" comes to mind, along with the undercurrent of that advanced civilization eventually being destroyed by aggressive invaders.
You STILL havent left?

Old 08-01-2008, 05:01 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,868,601 times
Quote:

Excellent post!

Old 08-01-2008, 06:10 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,883,034 times
The column by Trey Garrison cited by Frosty Wooldridge is talking about MY high school - Woodrow Wilson High in Dallas.

We have always been a school where people of many different backgrounds have come togther in friendship. Although the school did not have any blacks until desegregation in the mid-1960s, we always had everything from the richest to the poorest and we had people of Greek, Italian, Asian, Jewish etc. backgrounds. And yes we had people of Mexican heritage as far back as the 1940s or earlier - they were counted as white in the 'separate but equal days'.

Although our neighborhood is now 'gentrifying' we have had a large influx of illegal aliens, mostly from Mexico. This has caused problems but other groups have not left the school. Since our school rankings as a whole are subject to each ethnic group passing each achievement test by a certain percentage, the whole school was given an 'academically unacceptable' rating a couple of years ago. This was due to a high-dropout rate among certain groups, LEP and some unprepared black transferees and Katrina victims. We improved to 'acceptable'.

This bad ranking came even though the AP program is listed by Newsweek as one of the top in America (they rank the top 5% in the nation and we are in the top half of the list).

So yes, sometimes I resent that illegals have torpedoed the reputation of our school and balkanized it somewhat.

But that doesn't take away from the many other law-abiding hispanics who work hard and have been my friends through many years.

I think diversity is very important. It has made me who I am today and I am proud to have friends of different races and economic stations.

The bad part is when one group comes in illegally and causes problems for the rest of us.

So that is where I am coming from on many of my posts. I don't think I've really explained it that well but I hope you can understand.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:12 PM

3,640 posts, read 4,321,215 times
Quote:

Oh yes and very well said!

Old 08-02-2008, 02:32 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,035,084 times
Quote:

One response
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
You STILL havent left?
versus another response (excerpted)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
...I think diversity is very important. It has made me who I am today and I am proud to have friends of different races and economic stations.

The bad part is when one group comes in illegally and causes problems for the rest of us...
One blames Americans who haven't left their own American homes for their own plight in the face of an onslaught of mean bullies from other countries, and another cites illegals as genuinely causing problems for everybody. This is very revealing...

And actually I'm grateful for someone from Tehran posting here with their views and linking to the article above which prompted Lakewooder's thoughtful addenda. I for one learned some new slang: "urban yokel," for those I've oft encountered who are so rich that they are untouched by the problems illegals are causing for other economic strata and the rest of us. In their ignorance, they remain as bigoted as the proverbial redneck variants.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:48 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,925,743 times
Quote:

As usual excellent points and posts! I am honored to rep you, wish I could have done it twice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration