U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 07:25 AM

3,640 posts, read 4,272,512 times

Advertisements

You never hear about racism in mono-ethnic societies like China or Japan. Why? Everyone enjoys a similar background of values and cultural cohesion.

In America, with hundreds of different ethnic groups, especially black, white, brown, red and yellow, we exist in a tenuous but tolerant dance guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution.

It’s not been easy with Jim Crow Laws, the KKK, Watts Riots, separate but equal, anger of Malcolm X, white flight to the suburbs, smoldering and seething ghettoes and Pastor Jeremiah Wright in Chicago with “God D*** America….”

In 1965, Senator Teddy Kennedy created an even more tense society by immigrating millions from incompatible cultures that now call America home: Muslims, Hmongs, Koreans, Somalians, Ethiopians, etc. Additionally, he created even greater racial tension from competing and growing cultures that fail to assimilate into America as Americans.

We now designate Muslim-Americans, African-Americans, Russian-Americans, Mexican-Americans, while our national identity drains into confusion and tension.

Frosty Wooldridge -- Multiculturalism & Diversity: Not in my Neighborhood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 07:33 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,319,278 times
I am an unhyphenated American------and, the son of a (legal) immigrant as well!

Old 08-01-2008, 08:48 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,967,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
You never hear about racism in mono-ethnic societies like China or Japan. Why? Everyone enjoys a similar background of values and cultural cohesion.
I don't know about China but I lived in Japan for seven years and that was before the present immigration explosion. There was discrimination on a high level but it had to do with class in some cases and definite racist feelings toward the Okinawans and a lot toward half breed Japanese. China I have no idea.

In America, with hundreds of different ethnic groups, especially black, white, brown, red and yellow, we exist in a tenuous but tolerant dance guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution.

It’s not been easy with Jim Crow Laws, the KKK, Watts Riots, separate but equal, anger of Malcolm X, white flight to the suburbs, smoldering and seething ghettoes and Pastor Jeremiah Wright in Chicago with “God D*** America….”

In 1965, Senator Teddy Kennedy created an even more tense society by immigrating millions from incompatible cultures that now call America home: Muslims, Hmongs, Koreans, Somalians, Ethiopians, etc. Additionally, he created even greater racial tension from competing and growing cultures that fail to assimilate into America as Americans.
And Kennedy did this all on his own at age 32 as a freshman. I don't like any of the Kennedys at all but I have a hard time believing that Ted Kennedy was responsible for all that. Do you have some evidence. And i am not being facitious. I am really asking. Seems had to believe.

We now designate Muslim-Americans, African-Americans, Russian-Americans, Mexican-Americans, while our national identity drains into confusion and tension.

Frosty Wooldridge -- Multiculturalism & Diversity: Not in my Neighborhood
LOL Considering that you are in Tehran I don't think you need to worry about any multi-culturalism in you neighborhood for some time. (Joke of course)

Old 08-01-2008, 08:56 AM

8,181 posts, read 10,937,291 times
I agree with the article on several points. However, homogenous societies still have racism, classism and sexism. There will always be someone to hate or blame.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:32 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,737,640 times
That article is just full of nonsense.

Quote:
Who started putting those labels on Americans? If an american is just an American then why weren't african americans treated like all the other americans during the civil rights era? Why weren't the japanese Americans treated like other Americans instead of being put in camps during the war?

Old 08-01-2008, 09:41 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,737,640 times
Default quote from the article

Quote:

So.. by incompatible cultures, he means immigrants who are not Christian, European or white.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:46 AM

8,181 posts, read 10,937,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post

So.. by incompatible cultures, he means immigrants who are not Christian, European or white.
I agree, I didn't like those parts of the article either.
Culture is a great thing, and adds spice to our greater American culture as long as it does not come into conflict with our laws, and as long as people understand the difference between celebrating their ethnic backgrounds vs an allegiance to their country of origin. In other words, it is great to eat kim chee and celebrate lunar new year as long as you identify yourself primarily as a US citizen. Not so great if you identify yourself as a loyal South Korean who happens to reside in the US and hold US citizenship.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:29 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,948,070 times
This is a race issue, not immigration related. Jesus, the things you guys get away with.
Anybody seen The Dark Knight?
Im sure lots of illegals went to go see that.
Can I make a post on it?

Old 08-01-2008, 02:00 PM

3,162 posts, read 10,225,337 times
I wonder why multiculturalism works in countries like Brazil

Old 08-01-2008, 02:09 PM

8,974 posts, read 14,488,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
I wonder why multiculturalism works in countries like Brazil
I haven't been to Brazil in 30 years, but when I was there, it wasn't perfect. Certainly it was highly multiracial..yet there was a rather rigid 'social order', and the 'lower orders' were noticeably darker than the 'uppers'. Also Brazil as I recall it had quite an uneven distribution of races, geographically. The Northeast shoulder was very heavily black....while the southern end was quite heavily white. The Japanese weren't distrbuted evenly, either. Some areas had LOTS..others had very few.

Brazil may be 'ahead of the curve' in multiracial living...yet it does have different forms of prejudice, of exclusion, and of unevenly-applied 'perks' in its society. I wouldn't exactly say some of the Indians in the interior are getting a 'fair shake'.

But it's a neat place, and I'd go back in a minute if I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration