U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 08:59 AM

25,107 posts, read 34,380,187 times

Advertisements

Maricopa County sheriff's deputies arrested 11 people Thursday in a west Phoenix sting that targeted rogue food-cart vendors.

Those arrested were booked into jail on suspicion of violating Maricopa County health code for operating food carts without a permit - a class 3 misdemeanor.

All 11 vendors are illegal immigrants, Sheriff Joe Arpaio said.

Police: Food-cart vendors didn't have permits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 09:34 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,991,134 times
I am surprised that most of the comments were condemning the Sheriff. Sure there are hard core criminals out there and i am sure that local law enforcement are arresting them. Everyone complains about illegal aliens then when law enforcement goes after the illegals the same people whine about that. We are truly a nation of schizophrenics.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:51 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,794,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
I am surprised that most of the comments were condemning the Sheriff. Sure there are hard core criminals out there and i am sure that local law enforcement are arresting them. Everyone complains about illegal aliens then when law enforcement goes after the illegals the same people whine about that. We are truly a nation of schizophrenics.
The problem is, he is not attending to other things.

Quote:
Response times, arrest rates, investigations and other routine police work throughout Maricopa County have suffered over the past two years as Sheriff Joe Arpaio turned his already short-handed and cash-strapped department into an immigration enforcement agency, a Tribune investigation found.
Response times on life-threatening emergencies have slowed across the county, with residents on average waiting 10 minutes or more in most patrol districts. The County Board of Supervisors has set five minutes as the expected standard.
Detectives' arrest rate on criminal investigations plunged, from 10 percent in 2005 to 3.5 percent last year.
Reasonable Doubt Part IV: Public safety shortchanged throughout county | Immigration | eastvalleytribune.com (http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/120637 - broken link)

Old 08-01-2008, 09:58 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,991,134 times
Well those of you who live there know a lot better than I do. I just thought that the guy was a regular law enforcement officer. He seems to have an obsession with the illegals to the detriment of his over all job. Again I don't live in his district or even in that state so I am just speculating on what I have heard.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
The East Valley Trib is alligned with the Mesa Police Chief - Gaston -

The article has been debunked -

Arpaio is doing his job.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Well those of you who live there know a lot better than I do. I just thought that the guy was a regular law enforcement officer. He seems to have an obsession with the illegals to the detriment of his over all job. Again I don't live in his district or even in that state so I am just speculating on what I have heard.
Those of us who actually live in the area are very well aware of the adverse impact illegal immigration has had on not only Maricopa County but, the State of Arizona as a whole. The crime that has come from illegal immigration - human smuggling, drugs, gang wars, murders (three Phoenix PD officers killed this year - all by illegals).

Arpaios illegal immigration sweeps are picking up a lot of the "worst of the worst" - something the pro illegals will not tell you. They won't tell you that Arpaio is going after members of some of the most nortorious Mexican gang members - people who have been involved with the Human Smuggling - murders, violent crimes.

The fact is - Arpaio is doing his job

Old 08-01-2008, 10:20 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,176,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

Arpaio is doing his job.
Chief Gascon is a transplant from LA, and I'm afraid he's got Special Order 40 stuck in his little pea brain. I don't see where Gascon can say ANYTHING about Sheriff Joe, considering that Mesa is a haven for illegal aliens and the crime rate there is astounding. It always blows my mind how many illegals get busted there, yet Gascon doesn't see a problem with them.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:38 AM

3,496 posts, read 8,347,045 times
Most of Arpaio's issues stem from

1. He is a media wh*re
2. He is continually over budget (despite his claim that he saves millions from tent city)
3. His lawsuits cost millions upon millions upon millions
4. He abuses his powers to shake down and even arrest people who speak out against him (New Times, Police chief of Buckeye, Mayor of Guadalupe...and so on...) Mayor Gordon is prob. on his sh*t list as well...
5. His police abuse their powers
6. He is quick to go after police of other agency's but not his own
7. His personal financial dealings are sketchy as best
8. His sweeps and tactics are borderline racial profiling...I would say they are racial profiling. He has made enough waves in this area to bring in the feds...

He is doing his job when he arrest illegals....but he is violating a lot of America's civil rights by doing so. Lawsuits are already pending because of this...

Old 08-01-2008, 10:40 AM

9,309 posts, read 25,682,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
That's a very interesting . . . correction: NEGATIVE and ABSURD . . . comment, Blacknight.

Law Enforcement Authorities are sworn to honor and enforce ALL LAWS . . . not merely the laws they prefer or are considered significant by our shallow Pandering Politicians.

Strict Health Codes are necessary for the Health and Well Being of all citizens . . . are you not concerned about your personal health? Are you not concerned about the health of your family and friends?

Also, if restaurants are required to pass strict health codes and be licensed, why should anyone expect otherwise of a Food Cart or Truck?

Bottom line . . . THANK YOU, SHERIFF JOE!

Old 08-01-2008, 10:43 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,794,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

Arpaio is doing his job.
Debunked by who?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or