U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 02:40 PM

35,885 posts, read 65,253,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Well then I can add you to my list of smartest people I know as well.
Yeah, John, CG and I are impressed w/ your obvious discernment with choosing your friends, LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 05:15 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,916,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
...just Google "North American Union" and see what you come up with. Basically our efforts are futile--they will only delay the inevitable.
Where can I get my dollars changed for Amero's? *Not that I want them*

The real question is: How many of us will be labeled as "domestic terrorists" when we oppose and protest this?

Old 08-01-2008, 05:29 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,202,092 times
I had to work today, and was unable to post. WOndered how I might be added to the "smartest people" list?

Old 08-01-2008, 05:30 PM

184 posts, read 421,743 times
all this capture and release talk is a very xenophobic approach- too much Lou Dobbs corrupts the brain

unless you are Native American- you are an immigrant to this country- and last time I checked, border guards weren't waiting for the founders of the constitution when they arrived either- and probably countless ancestors of a lot of people that tout "oh I'm for legal immigration but not illegal immigration" probably had someone in their family at some point in time go around the process- but yet, they are going to deny someone the right to prosperity because they are different then them

it's like- find the same people who support the Minutemen at "On The Border" after a long day of deportation enjoying a Negra Modelo and a Chimichanga

some days I don't get it...

Old 08-01-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
I had to work today, and was unable to post. WOndered how I might be added to the "smartest people" list?
Oh, now, Hoagie, you know you are on the list, LOL!!!!!

Old 08-01-2008, 05:46 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,202,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remedy a4 View Post
all this capture and release talk is a very xenophobic approach- too much Lou Dobbs corrupts the brain

unless you are Native American- you are an immigrant to this country- and last time I checked, border guards weren't waiting for the founders of the constitution when they arrived either- and probably countless ancestors of a lot of people that tout "oh I'm for legal immigration but not illegal immigration" probably had someone in their family at some point in time go around the process- but yet, they are going to deny someone the right to prosperity because they are different then them

it's like- find the same people who support the Minutemen at "On The Border" after a long day of deportation enjoying a Negra Modelo and a Chimichanga

some days I don't get it...
You know, there's an old saying "To the victor go the spoils". What this means, is that when a group of people lose a war, the winner gets to take what they want. The colonists wanted America, so they fought for and won it. Right or wrong, this country was taken away from the native Americans.

The immigration laws of today were set up by the government which controls the land today. How can you say people are xenophobic because they expect others to respect the laws of the land? Illegal immigration has a price tag- a mighty big price tag, that the rest of us must bear. It's not about xenophobia, it's about respecting our laws and using the system the way it's supposed to be used.

Following your logic, why dont we do away with passports and visas, and allow whoever in the world wants to come here the ability to do so unencumbered? I promise it wouldnt take long to see the err in that line of thought.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:57 PM

Here is how I feel about it.

I will just sneak into Switzerland, Germany, France . . . and let's see how I get treated there. Let's see if I can get a job and just hang out for as long as I want and then demand my citizenship.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:03 PM

549 posts, read 1,527,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
WASHINGTON (AP) - Illegal immigrants who've ignored deportation orders in five cities may get a reprieve under an experimental program.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement says if they volunteer between Tuesday and August 22nd to leave the country, they'll be given up to 90 days to square away their personal affairs. But they may have to wear an electronic ankle bracelet confining them to certain areas.

WBTV 3 News, Weather Sports, Traffic, and Programming Guide for Charlotte, NC | Experimental program offered to some illegal immigrants

I don't see anyone lining up to take advantage of this "reprieve."
Jobs are tight and ICE and state officials are cracking down. The Census Bureau says that about 10% of illegal aliens have already left voluntarily. I could see illegals who are on the fence taking advantage of this opportunity.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
Jobs are tight and ICE and state officials are cracking down. The Census Bureau says that about 10% of illegal aliens have already left voluntarily. I could see illegals who are on the fence taking advantage of this opportunity.
I think it is a good idea, for those who do want to leave (or know the *** is up and figure they will have to leave at some point).

This does not penalize anyone . . . and I do not want to see anyone criminalized (unless they have committed crimes while here, of course).

I truly do believe people have come here to find work. I don't blame them!!! But they are not treated right once they get here - they are essentially indentured slaves, and that is a big issue w/ me. They need to go back home and apply for entry to this country like all the other immigrants have had to do who moved here permanently.

This has nothing to do w/ disliking Mexicans (or Guatemalans, or Haitians, or whatever). My experience has been that, in general, these people are good people, who truly are just wanting a better life. I have no personal animosity towards them at all . . . but it is just not the right way to do things . . . they need to immigrate legally.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:42 PM

184 posts, read 421,743 times
I think that's easy to say if you were born in the US and you've only known US citizenship and you've never had to "compete" or vie for your citizenship coming from a relatively impoverished country in an extremely corrupt immigration system that expects you to give up your culture the moment you get here

the lax immigration policies in both the US in Canada in the late 70's and early 80's allowed a lot of people to realize their dreams in North America versus working for pennies on the dollar in other countries where opportunity does not so freely flow- additionally, people only have to do things illegally when the process itself is broken or lacking in some other way

It's interesting that from financial business standpoint, so many companies in the US are betting on the boom of the latin population in this country- but at the same time, they don't want to allow latin people in the country or once they do arrive- they want them to give up their language or culture!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or