U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-02-2008, 09:15 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 65,253,264 times
Reputation: 22270

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcharlottan View Post
Does it cost something to get an educational or visitor's visa to come? I don't know anything about visas and how they work.
The rules vary from country to country. Visas are basically paperwork showing that the person has a reason to come into another country, usually for work. It only makes sense to require someone to show he/she will have gainful employment when they come here. Plus, the country of origin needs a record for where their citizens are traveling. Some visas will require no fees at all . . some will require a fee of $100 or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2008, 09:43 AM
 
7,016 posts, read 9,325,872 times
Reputation: 2510
Quote:
Originally Posted by remedy a4 View Post
whoa wait a second did someone just say "what does an mexican have to offer us other than backbreaking work that a US-citizen won't do?" WOW I've underestimated the south...

everyone wants a piece of the American Dream- who is to say that they can't come here and get a job, money, and education so that they can find a great job at Wachovia or Duke Energy or another reputable Charlotte company- they are here to make a better life for themselves and support their families

if you want to make it harder and harder for US citizens to travel around the world and potentially live in other places then make sure you elect the old man from Arizona to turn a deaf ear to the world for another 4 years

at least we know the old guys at the VFW post will be taken care of!
The un-informed voter at her apex. Doesn't get much better than this folks.
A PERFECT example of a voter that knows zilch about history, being a citizen. laws, foreign affairs and que mas?

Think you might be more comfortable in a culture of Trinidarian street fares in Brooklyn. Only a guess on my behalf so correct me if I'm wrong. Come on board with something perhaps that shows you know something about politics not some BS you picked up reading The Village Voice.
Have a blessed day,
je
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2008, 11:19 AM
 
140 posts, read 280,719 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
We are not a country open for settlement as we were in the 18th Century. We are an established country, with laws. This is not the Wild West, w/ people crossing borders on a whim (well, it is not supposed to be that way!!!)
Mexico is responsible for Mexico...
I guess you can say the same thing about Irak!


Quote:
I don't know where the attitude came from that we are some big Global Village here in the USA - open to anyone who wants to come and take advantage of the system of government that our forefathers fought to establish. This is confusing to me!!! No other country in this world will let ANY OF US come in and use that country's resources and get gov't entitlements handed to us. Where is this thinking coming from? !
I'm sorry Anifani but this has to be one of the most ignorant posts I've ever read. How many times you've been overseas? Do you have any idea how much WE interfere in other countries affairs and their societies and economic hierarchies.



Quote:
We have a system in place - VISAS. People come here to work, to go to school. If a Mexican wants to apply for a VISA, he/she can do it like anyone else. countries? TRY IT!!! See how easy it is!!!!!!
Another ignorant remark. No, getting a visa it's not easy. It is an extremely cumbersome process that could lead up to years (like 10+yrs). I agree people do need to come here legally but this is exactly where our immigration system is broken, it lacks the adecuate procedures, processes and interim organization. The reason: the government let's it happen, b/c it's good for business to turn a blind eye. Yes we must secure the borders and then reach a compromise. And yes we can secure the borders via technology and man power, since when we Americans became whiners and started crying we can't do things!

Quote:
Why is it that we Americans can recognize the sovereignty of any other country in this world, including China and N. Korea, even countries we KNOW are violating human rights, but then we won't even stand up for OUR OWN sovereignty?
Why??!! Because we depend on them. Do you know how much Chinese money has invested in US Treasuries??!!! Do you want to know what would happen if Chinese investors were not to invest any more money into MBS like Fannie and Freddie?

N. Korea is too close to China's affairs for us to say anything. This again shows how a lot of us like to run our mouths w/o having a clue for what really happens outside our borders. There are a few zillion people other than Americans, we do business with them, we actually depend on them a great deal, it's a globalized economy we live in, we either succeed in adapting to this reality or will have an awful time.


Quote:
As Americans, we get castigated for Capitalistic pursuits. But dang, ain't that the very reason Mexicans are flocking here - to partake of our Capitalism and the life it has created for the TAX PAYING citizens who live here LEGALLY?
Everyone wants a piece of America, but no one wants to pay the price for obtaining it!!!! And that is at the crux of this matter!
Mexicans are flocking here b/c they have hopes of building a better future, just like our ancestors did when they came here. I'm sure a lot of them weren't necessarily eager to come here by risking their own lifes just to be labeled as an "alien" in a foreign land so they could clean our toilets and pick our produce. We keep whining about these awful, useless people sending their earned money back to their home countries when we do not even allow them to buy a home, a car, they can't even rent a place and end up having 20 of them sharing a 1 bed apt living in deplorable conditions. The process for them to legally apply is completely broken. We must address that after -I agree- we first secure the borders; and then by implementing a realistic visa process that also addresses our need to fill low cost labor, and make these people regular taxpayers like all of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2008, 11:31 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 65,253,264 times
Reputation: 22270
Wow - you evidently misread part of my post. That was sarcasm about the VISAs. It is not supposed to be easy.

Secondly, your remark about Iraq - we are not colonizing Iraq. Your comment makes absolutely no sense. I am talking about colonization of the USA - wh/ is over, BTW, but evidently someone didn't send the memo to Mexico.

I stand by what I said - if you try to go to another country and set up shop there illegally, you will get your ass booted out. Your point about what the CIA or the military may have done in some other country is in no way germane to the point I am making here.

Hey- I do not approve of the Chinese holding our securities but I didn't help create the deficit that allows it - and again - we are talking about illegal immigrants, not global finance here. I agree w/ you - we are idiots for getting into the deficit situation - both the trade deficit and the drain caused by the War. I ABHOR the fact that we are in a trade deficit w/ China. I am against the importation of their goods to this country. We have lost jobs here! We will continue to lose jobs here! The same idiot congressional leaders (and Pres. Clinton and WalMart execs) have pushed us into a trade deficit situation AS WELL AS a border and illegal immigration situation. I will be glad to rant against the trade deficit and its causes as much as I rant against illegal immigration! So your point is LOST on me, Chef!!!!

And as far as Mexicans flocking here like our ancestors - NO NO NO. My ancestors came here during colonization - a period wh/ has LONG PAST.

Let's get this straight. Mexicans are coming here b/c their own government SUCKS. If their own government were worth a damn, they would not feel they needed to come here. So the reason they see this as the Land of Honey is b/c their own government leaders are corrupt and inept and have allowed the USA to pour a gazillion dollars into the Mexican economy through illegal immigrants who come work here and send the dollars back to Mexico. IS THAT YOUR DEFINITION OF A GLOBAL ECONOMY???????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2008, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Arizona
2,065 posts, read 3,173,806 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Giorgio View Post
I'm sorry Anifani but this has to be one of the most ignorant posts I've ever read. How many times you've been overseas? Do you have any idea how much WE interfere in other countries affairs and their societies and economic hierarchies.
Could you name one country that will allow us to "come in and use that country's resources and get gov't entitlements handed to us."?
Quote:
Another ignorant remark. No, getting a visa it's not easy. It is an extremely cumbersome process that could lead up to years (like 10+yrs). I agree people do need to come here legally but this is exactly where our immigration system is broken, it lacks the adecuate procedures, processes and interim organization. The reason: the government let's it happen, b/c it's good for business to turn a blind eye. Yes we must secure the borders and then reach a compromise. And yes we can secure the borders via technology and man power, since when we Americans became whiners and started crying we can't do things!
Getting a visa is not SUPPOSED to be easy! Idiot!
Quote:
Mexicans are flocking here b/c they have hopes of building a better future, just like our ancestors did when they came here. I'm sure a lot of them weren't necessarily eager to come here by risking their own lifes just to be labeled as an "alien" in a foreign land so they could clean our toilets and pick our produce.
Is that what they're doing?? You are probably the most uninformed person that has posted on this thread.
Quote:
We keep whining about these awful, useless people sending their earned money back to their home countries when we do not even allow them to buy a home, a car, they can't even rent a place and end up having 20 of them sharing a 1 bed apt living in deplorable conditions.
Again you prove your lack of basic knowledge. Where is it that this is happening, hmmm?
Quote:
The process for them to legally apply is completely broken. We must address that after -I agree- we first secure the borders; and then by implementing a realistic visa process that also addresses our need to fill low cost labor, and make these people regular taxpayers like all of us.
The process isn't broken, your powers of cogent thought are. You think we need to let foreigners in for 'low-cost' labor, but you fail to tell us what we're supposed to do with the millions of Americans who had their jobs taken by these 'low-cost' laborers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2008, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Wow - you evidently misread part of my post. That was sarcasm about the VISAs. It is not supposed to be easy.

Secondly, your remark about Iraq - we are not colonizing Iraq. Your comment makes absolutely no sense. I am talking about colonization of the USA - wh/ is over, BTW, but evidently someone didn't send the memo to Mexico.

I stand by what I said - if you try to go to another country and set up shop there illegally, you will get your ass booted out. Your point about what the CIA or the military may have done in some other country is in no way germane to the point I am making here.

Hey- I do not approve of the Chinese holding our securities but I didn't help create the deficit that allows it - and again - we are talking about illegal immigrants, not global finance here. I agree w/ you - we are idiots for getting into the deficit situation - both the trade deficit and the drain caused by the War. I ABHOR the fact that we are in a trade deficit w/ China. I am against the importation of their goods to this country. We have lost jobs here! We will continue to lose jobs here! The same idiot congressional leaders (and Pres. Clinton and WalMart execs) have pushed us into a trade deficit situation AS WELL AS a border and illegal immigration situation. I will be glad to rant against the trade deficit and its causes as much as I rant against illegal immigration! So your point is LOST on me, Chef!!!!

And as far as Mexicans flocking here like our ancestors - NO NO NO. My ancestors came here during colonization - a period wh/ has LONG PAST.

Let's get this straight. Mexicans are coming here b/c their own government SUCKS. If their own government were worth a damn, they would not feel they needed to come here. So the reason they see this as the Land of Honey is b/c their own government leaders are corrupt and inept and have allowed the USA to pour a gazillion dollars into the Mexican economy through illegal immigrants who come work here and send the dollars back to Mexico. IS THAT YOUR DEFINITION OF A GLOBAL ECONOMY???????
Excellent post! Sorry, can't rep you.....gotta spread the love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2008, 11:39 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 65,253,264 times
Reputation: 22270
GUY and BENI - thank you so much for posting as truly, I am sitting here baffled as to how CHEF managed to so thoroughly distort what I had written. I was feeling I had been transported to another reality zone for a minute there. I re-read what I wrote and thought - damn - was it that hard to understand??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2008, 11:41 AM
 
140 posts, read 280,719 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Wow - you evidently misread part of my post. That was sarcasm about the VISAs. It is not supposed to be easy.

Secondly, your remark about Iraq - we are not colonizing Iraq. Your comment makes absolutely no sense. I am talking about colonization of the USA - wh/ is over, BTW, but evidently someone didn't send the memo to Mexico.

I stand by what I said - if you try to go to another country and set up shop there illegally, you will get your ass booted out. Your point about what the CIA or the military may have done in some other country is in no way germane to the point I am making here.

Hey- I do not approve of the Chinese holding our securities but I didn't help create the deficit that allows it - and again - we are talking about illegal immigrants, not global finance here. I agree w/ you - we are idiots for getting into the deficit situation - both the trade deficit and the drain caused by the War. I ABHOR the fact that we are in a trade deficit w/ China. I am against the importation of their goods to this country. We have lost jobs here! We will continue to lose jobs here! The same idiot congressional leaders (and Pres. Clinton and WalMart execs) have pushed us into a trade deficit situation AS WELL AS a border and illegal immigration situation. I will be glad to rant against the trade deficit and its causes as much as I rant against illegal immigration! So your point is LOST on me, Chef!!!!

And as far as Mexicans flocking here like our ancestors - NO NO NO. My ancestors came here during colonization - a period wh/ has LONG PAST.

Let's get this straight. Mexicans are coming here b/c their own government SUCKS. If their own government were worth a damn, they would not feel they needed to come here. So the reason they see this as the Land of Honey is b/c their own government leaders are corrupt and inept and have allowed the USA to pour a gazillion dollars into the Mexican economy through illegal immigrants who come work here and send the dollars back to Mexico. IS THAT YOUR DEFINITION OF A GLOBAL ECONOMY???????
I know, we sometimes get too passionate about what we read and I did miss some of your posts facts blatantly, but I understand both sides of the arguement must have something right.

Very good points taken from this post of you I must agree (I sounded like Yoda there!) and yes Mexico's government is a joke, like many of those in Latin America.
But now that we are in this mess I believe some sort of compromise must be reached.
If we were to implement at least a decent visa program these people could come with their families and make a life here and pay taxes, etc; however I can see how difficult and costly would be to implement such program, which is why hefty fines must also be in place to help contribute for such cost.

As for the Chinese, unfortunately we are in a position of no going back almost as we have become a service economy and we have stopped making things for ourselves which could end up biting us back in the ass. The future is indeed bleak as I do not see -at least IMO- any of the candidates with a real visionary plan except for Ron Paul maybe.

As far as what I said about illegals not being able to get homes, that is true. The only way these ppl can get mortgage financing is by going to a "latino bank" that basincally originates mortgages for them via private investors that allow so. They do get raped basically paying over 10% interest rate on it but the interesting fact is that these segment of people have the lowest pct of foreclosure of any group in the country. IMO such factoid goes a long way into showing not all of these people are willing to be just taxpayer burden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2008, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Close/lock at least our southern border; pass and enforce employer sanctions laws nationwide (even for California) and end birthright citizenship assuming that both parents here here illegally (grandfather in the present Anchor Babies but their illegal parents will still need to leave the USA).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2008, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Arizona
2,065 posts, read 3,173,806 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Giorgio View Post
As for the Chinese, unfortunately we are in a position of no going back almost as we have become a service economy and we have stopped making things for ourselves which could end up biting us back in the ass. The future is indeed bleak as I do not see -at least IMO- any of the candidates with a real visionary plan except for Ron Paul maybe.
I was prepared to write you off as a total idiot until you posted this...

Now I think I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and hope you get educated on what this illegal alien invasion is actually costing the working class of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top