U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 11:58 AM

7,023 posts, read 9,332,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by remedy a4 View Post
LOL @ the hypocrite yockels who view the United States of America as "their land"...
I am certain that some day we are going to read about you on the front page of a newspaper: Local Man Goes Postal and guns down 12 people.

I'm not kidding--you have the makings.Very troubled with a big log on your shoulder.
Good luck to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 12:07 PM

2,193 posts, read 4,449,628 times
I understand that a lot of Mexicans are poor in their country and they want a better life here in America. That's why people want to come here from all over the world.

But one thing that bothers me (this has been my personal experience) is that when I was working in Restaurant Management, all the Mexicans who worked there came out w/ sketchy background checks, they were always taking off from work bc their brother or cousin was in jail and they had to bail them out. Or they had to go to court for some reason. If you are breaking a law by being illegal, then who knows what other laws they are breaking?

I also worked as a Guardian at litem (advocate for victims of child abuse). I had mexicans who were illegal in and out of the court system for ABUSING their children. (physical and sexual abuse). To me it made no sense that we were helping the parents who were abusing their children when they were illegal. While I know it was to help the children in the end, the parents got a lot of help from the courts and social services as well.

I know all Mexicans aren't like this but this has just been my experience. If I didnt' see them in and out of jail and abusing their children, I might have a little more sympathy for them. But I don't.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:15 PM

35,885 posts, read 65,287,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
I understand that a lot of Mexicans are poor in their country and they want a better life here in America. That's why people want to come here from all over the world.

But one thing that bothers me (this has been my personal experience) is that when I was working in Restaurant Management, all the Mexicans who worked there came out w/ sketchy background checks, they were always taking off from work bc their brother or cousin was in jail and they had to bail them out. Or they had to go to court for some reason. If you are breaking a law by being illegal, then who knows what other laws they are breaking?

I also worked as a Guardian at litem (advocate for victims of child abuse). I had mexicans who were illegal in and out of the court system for ABUSING their children. (physical and sexual abuse). To me it made no sense that we were helping the parents who were abusing their children when they were illegal. While I know it was to help the children in the end, the parents got a lot of help from the courts and social services as well.

I know all Mexicans aren't like this but this has just been my experience. If I didnt' see them in and out of jail and abusing their children, I might have a little more sympathy for them. But I don't.
Sheenie, what you have experienced, IMO, is not that unusual, b/c we are finding out that so many of the illegals here had criminal pasts in Mexico. Friends of mine (both teachers and other volunteers at schools) have many stories they have relayed to me about children who show up at school appearing to have been abused - both physical abuse and other types of abuse - neglect, I guess one would say. And lots of absences . . . so I think what we have gotten is a lot of really suspect people in w/ the "decent people" who have come here looking for work.

That is what is so scary about the border situation - anyone and everyone is sneaking into this country and who knows about their past? Pretty crazy.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:42 AM

140 posts, read 280,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Chef G.-this is very interesting especially coming from a mortage banker as you stated previously. Now getting back to "getting raped at over 10%" Why would anybody lend to an illegal other then predator rates? How would these people defend themselves in a court of law against froeclosure? Oh, WAIT, I just figured out why "these segment of people have the lowest pct. of foreclosure"! How silly of me. I apoligize for taking so long to understand the reason.
Does anyone else know the reason?? If so state your opinion here_____________>
Clue: Because they have no standing in our court. Hence the greatest ripoff ever placed on this segment of the market. BTW I THINK the rate is around 14%
I guess there's always a way to spin things around, all I was trying to say is that a lot of these ppl will try to honor their debt at any cost despite serious disadvantages, job instability (and yes I know they r illlegals and should not be here in the first place).

As a mortgage person I volunteered in seminars for FTHB and for ppl facing foreclosure, etc and these ppl are trying hard despite being duped into shady loan terms, sometimes not just b/c of a languagge barrier but b/c lack of simple financing knowledge.

I do agree with several points made in this post by many of you and that illegal immgration is a huge problem we can not turn a blind eye to and that we must compromise and seek solutions. I agree enforcement is needed, especially ,as Anifani said, b/c too many bad apples did manage to enter the country unfortunately; however we must also understand we can not put all of them under the same umbrella and we need to recognize some of them did follow the rules while here and contribute in a positive way to our society and although they should not be rewarded -for enter the country illegally in the first place- they should not be punished unfairly either and that compromise would be to find a way to let them regularize their status by paying hefty fines and follow strict steps towards such goal (not a blanket amnesty IMO since this initiave should help only a portion of these ppl, only the ones with clean records and the ones who entered before a set timeframe).

Above all the border must be secured and hopefully whoever gets elected our next president will have the fortitude to do so. I also hope the next president also will have the fortitude to talk get Mexico to get their sh** together, b/c I do agree they are taking the easy way out and letting a lot of their ppl to come here and that if there's a plan to bring cheap labor here legally in the future, Mexico needs to clean its own drug lord problem near the border and widespread local level authority corruption, do a comprehensive check up of all those applying to come here and provide them with basic education, etc, after all they must recognize they are also benefiting and we should not be paying the bill ourselves entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or