Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 12:55 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,210,728 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON (AP) - Illegal immigrants who've ignored deportation orders in five cities may get a reprieve under an experimental program.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement says if they volunteer between Tuesday and August 22nd to leave the country, they'll be given up to 90 days to square away their personal affairs. But they may have to wear an electronic ankle bracelet confining them to certain areas.

WBTV 3 News, Weather Sports, Traffic, and Programming Guide for Charlotte, NC | Experimental program offered to some illegal immigrants

I don't see anyone lining up to take advantage of this "reprieve."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 01:08 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,636,503 times
lol...I'm sure they will be waiting in droves to register. 5 years to re-enter is a big enough deterrent to keep any from showing up.

I've actually said this for a long time about giving them a legal reprieve such as this, 90 days to put things in order, return to their country of origin, apply for re-entry into the county however with a heavier fee than normal immigrants (to pay for their crime of staying here illegally), and get in line like everybody else.

If after those 90 days of reprieve are over, and an illegal is arrested or found out to be here illegally, then they are fingerprinted, Iris scanned, logged into a national database, deported to their country of origin, and never permitted entry in the U.S. EVER again.

If they are deported by the above circumstance, choose to return to the country illegally again, arrested or found out to be illegal again, then they are sent to prison for life, and the country of origin's government is sent the bill to support their life of incarceration.

With a shutdown border and the above strategy, the illegal immigration crisis would be fixed within the next 5-10 years.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:17 PM

285 posts, read 1,069,380 times
I read this article and was trying to see what was the benefit to the illegals. Are the immigrantion officials not going to "hunt" for illegals for those 2 weeks in August? And then resume the "hunt"?

I can see this program working better if they offered to pay the one way ticket back home.....

Old 08-01-2008, 01:39 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,653,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
lol...I'm sure they will be waiting in droves to register. 5 years to re-enter is a big enough deterrent to keep any from showing up.

I've actually said this for a long time about giving them a legal reprieve such as this, 90 days to put things in order, return to their country of origin, apply for re-entry into the county however with a heavier fee than normal immigrants (to pay for their crime of staying here illegally), and get in line like everybody else.

If after those 90 days of reprieve are over, and an illegal is arrested or found out to be here illegally, then they are fingerprinted, Iris scanned, logged into a national database, deported to their country of origin, and never permitted entry in the U.S. EVER again.

If they are deported by the above circumstance, choose to return to the country illegally again, arrested or found out to be illegal again, then they are sent to prison for life, and the country of origin's government is sent the bill to support their life of incarceration.

With a shutdown border and the above strategy, the illegal immigration crisis would be fixed within the next 5-10 years.
Good idea C_G...on paper. Look at the reality. #1. We don't have a shutdown border now nor do I think we have the ability to completely shut it down.
#2. If the responsible Depts. could not keep out more than 12 million illegals to date (and I'm sure it's more than the reported fig.) what makes one think they are even capaable of putting into force your program? I doubt it.
#3 Sent to prison for life? Some of them would welcome it. Their gov. paying the bill? C'mon, smoking a lil' crack before the weekend?

As I said, looks good on paper but....
je

Old 08-01-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcharlottan View Post
I read this article and was trying to see what was the benefit to the illegals. Are the immigrantion officials not going to "hunt" for illegals for those 2 weeks in August? And then resume the "hunt"?

I can see this program working better if they offered to pay the one way ticket back home.....
Yes, I agree! But I thought when someone is deported, they do receive a free ticket back home. Did I just dream that up, LOL? I thought we paid for them to go back to wherever they came from.

Anyone know for sure?

I think this is for people who have already received deportation notices in the past and are "running from the law" presently.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Good idea C_G...on paper. Look at the reality. #1. We don't have a shutdown border now nor do I think we have the ability to completely shut it down.
#2. If the responsible Depts. could not keep out more than 12 million illegals to date (and I'm sure it's more than the reported fig.) what makes one think they are even capaable of putting into force your program? I doubt it.
#3 Sent to prison for life? Some of them would welcome it. Their gov. paying the bill? C'mon, smoking a lil' crack before the weekend?

As I said, looks good on paper but....
je
hehehe....trust me I know. This kind of thing would never happen. It's just how I see how the problem could be fixed, the reality is a different story.

If truth be told, our borders are open for a reason and the superficial efforts being made to curtail the issue is not coincidental. If you want to know where I'm heading with this, just Google "North American Union" and see what you come up with. Basically our efforts are futile--they will only delay the inevitable.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:05 PM

CG - totally agree. I don't want to get labeled a conspiracy theorist but there is too much evidence - and the totally disinterested attitude of the Feds w/ border crossings tells me all I need to know. Yes, there is a reason why our borders are so porous.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:23 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,653,901 times
Two of the smartest people I know posted above me.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
CG - totally agree. I don't want to get labeled a conspiracy theorist but there is too much evidence - and the totally disinterested attitude of the Feds w/ border crossings tells me all I need to know. Yes, there is a reason why our borders are so porous.
Well, ani, it's not a conspiracy. Just look at the EU to see how easily nations' sovereignty can be dissolved.

To be sure, other unions are taking place:

Union of South American Nations

League of Arab States (look for this to evolve into something more substantial)

South Asian Union (could happen, and may include Middle Eastern Countries)

And there is already an African Union.

As we get closer and closer to a global order, look for these entities to rise up. Because he is a globalist, B.O is the perfect candidate to catapult the U.S. in that direction. Did you hear his speeches in Europe? Disgusting...

p.s. to be fair, past administrations, including the present one (and possibly the biggest culprit since he is pro amnesty), have done much to dissolve our sovereignty. But the future ain't looking too bright.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Two of the smartest people I know posted above me.
Well then I can add you to my list of smartest people I know as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration