U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 04:27 PM

3,844 posts, read 5,104,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
You may be correct with the 'frog/boiling water' concept------just that you may have gotten it backwards.

Many illegals here in the USA flat became delusional about being granted amnesty------and, the enforcement hammer is now coming down on 'em.

Too; with the declining economy-----many illegals are self deporting as we speak
And none too soon, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 04:34 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,994,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I'm sorry, the double negative is throwing me off. What are you asking?

I think you've missed the forest for the trees.
Oh, Im sorry. I see how that couldve been confusing.

Ignore the red, and it should make it easier to figure out.

Quote:

How are you not far removed from the problem where you cant pontificate about the humanitarian aspects of the problem?

And at least out in LA(which I guess is what you are referring to), the African-American neighborhoods weren't all that preferable before LATINOS(not necessarily illegals) moved in.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:

I think you've missed the forest for the trees.
No, I got the point.

The message: Blacks and Whites united as Americans!

When in reality, the "gringo neighborhoods" and Black neighborhoods are worlds apart in the first place.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:42 PM

17,279 posts, read 24,961,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Oh, Im sorry. I see how that couldve been confusing.

Ignore the red, and it should make it easier to figure out.

[quote/]How are you not far removed from the problem where you cant pontificate about the humanitarian aspects of the problem?

And at least out in LA(which I guess is what you are referring to), the African-American neighborhoods weren't all that preferable before LATINOS(not necessarily illegals) moved in.

Let me try to respond to what I think you're asking.

It is possible that an individual is insulated from the problems and effects of illegal immigration in such ways to only see the "benefits" of illegal immigration, with no regard for how illegal immigration effects the every day lives of ordinary people.

These people tend to live far far away from neighborhoods in danger of being turned into illegal ghettos with chickens roaming in the yards and five families to a single family house. These people tend to not have kids attending schools where teachers struggle to integrate immigrant children who speak odd indigenous languages that only vaguely resembles Spanish. These people tend to have no threat of being shot by an illegal gang member, as the only illegals they might come in contact with is Jorge, the always cheerful and helpful gardener who is such a nice, good man. These people tend to have careers that aren't in danger of wage deflation or competition from laborers willing to shack up 10 in a single house to accept slave wages off the books.

In other words, the person is so far removed from the "problems," the only possible explanation they can come up with as to why someone might be against illegal immigration is that they don't like brown people.

THAT is how one can be so far removed from the problem that they can pontificate about the humanitarian aspects of illegal immigration ("They are searching for a better life! The American dream! Statue of Liberty!")

Old 08-02-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Let me try to respond to what I think you're asking.

It is possible that an individual is insulated from the problems and effects of illegal immigration in such ways to only see the "benefits" of illegal immigration, with no regard for how illegal immigration effects the every day lives of ordinary people.

These people tend to live far far away from neighborhoods in danger of being turned into illegal ghettos with chickens roaming in the yards and five families to a single family house. These people tend to not have kids attending schools where teachers struggle to integrate immigrant children who speak odd indigenous languages that only vaguely resembles Spanish. These people tend to have no threat of being shot by an illegal gang member, as the only illegals they might come in contact with is Jorge, the always cheerful and helpful gardener who is such a nice, good man. These people tend to have careers that aren't in danger of wage deflation or competition from laborers willing to shack up 10 in a single house to accept slave wages off the books.

In other words, the person is so far removed from the "problems," the only possible explanation they can come up with as to why someone might be against illegal immigration is that they don't like brown people.

THAT is how one can be so far removed from the problem that they can pontificate about the humanitarian aspects of illegal immigration ("They are searching for a better life! The American dream! Statue of Liberty!")
Too long of a reply that doesn't answer my question.

How does illegal immigration affect YOU?

Old 08-02-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
No, I got the point.

The message: Blacks and Whites united as Americans!

When in reality, the "gringo neighborhoods" and Black neighborhoods are worlds apart in the first place.

No. That wasn't the message.

The blunt message is this: Ever wonder why legal "Hispanics" ... or rather, let's just pick one sub group ... legal Mexicans ... have no problems with illegal immigration? It's cultural affinity towards those Mexican illegals, and have no problem with watching a neighborhood turn into a barrio because it's their people, and the more the merrier. It's why Cubans in Miami will defend "wet foot/dry foot" tooth and nail, and agree that illegal Guatemalan immigration is a "problem." Similarly, an Irish decended American would also have less of a problem with Irish illegal immigrants. The "problems" get overlooked for ethnic loyalty.

Also, too often, multiculturalists applaud a changing "white bread" neighborhood because it symbolizes a waning cultural influence of WASP society.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:

The blunt message is this: Ever wonder why legal "Hispanics" ... or rather, let's just pick one sub group ... legal Mexicans ... have no problems with illegal immigration? It's cultural affinity towards those Mexican illegals, and have no problem with watching a neighborhood turn into a barrio because it's their people, and the more the merrier. It's why Cubans in Miami will defend "wet foot/dry foot" tooth and nail, and agree that illegal Guatemalan immigration is a "problem." Similarly, an Irish decended American would also have less of a problem with Irish illegal immigrants. The "problems" get overlooked for ethnic loyalty.

Also, too often, multiculturalists applaud a changing "white bread" neighborhood because it symbolizes a waning cultural influence of WASP society.
Or could it be that people who have the same culture arent going to have the same irrational fears as people who know LESS about the culture?

That argument doesnt make sense. If that was true, gangs would have all the support of the Latino community. Drug dealers would have all the support of the Latino community.

We know theres a problem with illegal immigration, but we're just not as SCARED.

Its harder for us to see the fear of the culture, we don't get mad over the country being less white, or think its becoming "third world", and we don't think the country is going to die because more people speak spanish. Most of us speak English!

That stupid belief that we're only defending illegal immigrants because theyre latino, is the same kind of mentality that had the Japanese sent to internment camps during World War II.

But again, how does illegal immigration affect YOU?

Old 08-02-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Too long of a reply that doesn't answer my question.

How does illegal immigration affect YOU?

Personally? In reality, it doesn't much effect me. I'm lucky that it's mostly an aesthetic and quality of life issue for me...oh yeah, and taxes.... I've been watching neighborhoods that used to be full of old retirees turn into little Guatemalas. Watching illegal women have 5 kids each and sending them to schools whose quality goes down as education budgets have to be raised to keep up. Watching stories about overstretched local hospitals. Having to deal with increased car insurance rates because illegals don't have insurance. Having to stand in line at a supermarket where English has suddenly become a second language and the illegal woman uses food stamps and WIC to pay for her food.

What else... hmmm.... watching the news about illegal Haitian gangs shooting each other up. Watching Americans compete with illegals for lawn maintenance and manual labor jobs in a "race to the bottom" that's pushing wages even further down in an already bad economy. Back in 1990, for example, residential construction was paying about $8.00/hour. In the ensuing 18 years, as legal workers have been supplanted by pseudo slaves from SOB, the rate is largely unchanged.

Though I'm not sure why it matters? I'M not one of those trying to say there isn't a problem!!

Old 08-02-2008, 05:03 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:

Ironic: despite my being of 1/2 Hungarian heritage (father immigrated from there in 1951); I feel no ethnic solidarity with that group compared to generic 'Anglo' Americans of any race/ethnicity.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Or could it be that people who have the same culture arent going to have the same irrational fears as people who know LESS about the culture?
There is nothing to "fear" when 4 families shack up in the same 3 bedroom house in what used to be a pleasant family subburb. "Latin" culture has been around in the Southwest forever. It is the inability or unwillingness for the newcomer to change. "We" don't FEAR the illegal immigrant, we hate what is DONE by the illegal immigrant, because nice areas turn to trash. It's a shame when any group does it - illegal or not. But if we already have legals doing it, we'd like to be able to keep out those ADDITIONAL people who weren't invited in the first place from doing it.

Put it this way: Even if I have kids that destroy my house, you'd forgive me for STILL resenting the neighbor's kid who comes in and messes up the place.... UNINVITED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760
That argument doesnt make sense. If that was true, gangs would have all the support of the Latino community. Drug dealers would have all the support of the Latino community.
No. Your analogy isn't even applicable by a long shot.

Quote:
We know theres a problem with illegal immigration, but we're just not as SCARED.

Its harder for us to see the fear of the culture, we don't get mad over the country being less white, or think its becoming "third world", and we don't think the country is going to die because more people speak spanish. Most of us speak English!
You don't think it's becoming "third world" because anything is a step up from South of the border. But it IS becoming third world in many places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc670
That stupid belief that we're only defending illegal immigrants because theyre latino, is the same kind of mentality that had the Japanese sent to internment camps during World War II.
Again. Bad analogy.

If the illegal immigration problem was 11 million illegal Nigerians, I'm sure Latinos would be less than sympathetic.

Quote:
But again, how does illegal immigration affect YOU?
Asked and answered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration