U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 06:06 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,716,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Or could it be that people who have the same culture arent going to have the same irrational fears as people who know LESS about the culture?

That argument doesnt make sense. If that was true, gangs would have all the support of the Latino community. Drug dealers would have all the support of the Latino community.

We know theres a problem with illegal immigration, but we're just not as SCARED.

Its harder for us to see the fear of the culture, we don't get mad over the country being less white, or think its becoming "third world", and we don't think the country is going to die because more people speak spanish. Most of us speak English!

That stupid belief that we're only defending illegal immigrants because theyre latino, is the same kind of mentality that had the Japanese sent to internment camps during World War II.

But again, how does illegal immigration affect YOU?
In Chicago, they do. The hispanic community was livid when federal agents broke up a multimillion dollar ID forgery ring in one of their neighborhoods. I have lived here for a long time and I cannot think of any other ethnic group that would have reacted the way they did. In African American communities they complain the police do not do enough to get rid of their criminals. If federal agents came in with guns drawn, rounded up a bunch of gang members or other criminals and took them away, I really do not think they would have a protest about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 06:11 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,025,505 times
Quote:
... But again, how does illegal immigration affect YOU?
Illegal immigrants here have shot through the fence at my nice dogs...
Illegal immigrants here have vandalized my neighborhood continually...
Illegal immigrants here have incubated even more violent gangs in my part of L.A...
Illegal immigrants here have totalled my cars while they were driving without licenses...
Illegal immmigrants here have broken building codes to seriously jeopardize everyone else's housing investmentsin my sector of L.A., as they have done in all but the wealthier neighborhoods...
Illegal immigrants here are the main genesis of domestic violence complaints...
Illegal immigrants here continually trash neighborhoods like mine and elsewhere with debris...
Illegal immigrants here have spit at me when I walk by...
Illegal immigrants here blast stadium-worthy p.a. systems 24/7...
Illegal immigrants here let their violent pitbulls run loose "to toughen them..."
Illegal immigrants here manifest their "home country" misogyny...
Illegal immigrants here see education as babysitting...
Illegal immigrants here foment the disappearance of all local signage displaying any English, even as an addenda to their foreign language...

And again, my neighborhood watch contacts with police verify that they are illegals, but in Los Angeles, a so-called "sanctuary" city, police are not allowed to inquire about legal status of suspects or perpetrators nor report same to ICE.

Last night I had a great discussion with a local African-American musician about HD flat-screen tvs costing more than both our respective automobiles, and about Trent Reznor and NIN, wherein he had seen NIN shows more recently than I had. But then again, caucasians like me aren't supposed to matriculate with anyone but other WASPS, eh?

Old 08-02-2008, 06:13 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,662,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
In Chicago, they do. The hispanic community was livid when federal agents broke up a multimillion dollar ID forgery ring in one of their neighborhoods. I have lived here for a long time and I cannot think of any other ethnic group that would have reacted the way they did. In African American communities they complain the police do not do enough to get rid of their criminals. If federal agents came in with guns drawn, rounded up a bunch of gang members or other criminals and took them away, I really do not think they would have a protest about it.
In all fairness; things must have changed in traditional Black enclaves......not so long ago-------many AA's were howling over 'the Man' coming in and hassling them.

Admittedly; in just the last 30 years, AA's have really moved up the socio-economic ladder here in the USA. If anything; I am hearing less and less about 'attitude' coming out of the old 'hoods'.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:16 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,002,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Illegal immigrants here have incubated even more violent gangs in my part of L.A...
Illegal immigrants here have totalled my cars while they were driving without licenses...
Illegal immmigrants here have broken building codes to seriously jeopardize everyone else's housing investmentsin my sector of L.A., as they have done in all but the wealthier neighborhoods...
Illegal immigrants here continually trash neighborhoods like mine and elsewhere with debris...
Illegal immigrants here let their violent pitbulls run loose "to toughen them..."

And again, my neighborhood watch contacts with police verify that they are illegals, but in Los Angeles, a so-called "sanctuary" city, police are not allowed to inquire about legal status of suspects or perpetrators nor report same to ICE.
I have a feeling you give these people the dirtiest looks, if all that you say is true.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:17 PM

17,286 posts, read 24,999,273 times
Quote:
I have a feeling you give these people the dirtiest looks, if all that you say is true.
Oh is that the old, "what did you do to make your husband beat you" mentality?

Old 08-02-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
What's she supposed to do? Smile?

Old 08-02-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
What's she supposed to do? Smile?
You mean show respect to people in the first place?
Nah.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Personally? In reality, it doesn't much effect me. I'm lucky that it's mostly an aesthetic and quality of life issue for me...oh yeah, and taxes.... I've been watching neighborhoods that used to be full of old retirees turn into little Guatemalas. Watching illegal women have 5 kids each and sending them to schools whose quality goes down as education budgets have to be raised to keep up. Watching stories about overstretched local hospitals. Having to deal with increased car insurance rates because illegals don't have insurance. Having to stand in line at a supermarket where English has suddenly become a second language and the illegal woman uses food stamps and WIC to pay for her food.

What else... hmmm.... watching the news about illegal Haitian gangs shooting each other up. Watching Americans compete with illegals for lawn maintenance and manual labor jobs in a "race to the bottom" that's pushing wages even further down in an already bad economy. Back in 1990, for example, residential construction was paying about $8.00/hour. In the ensuing 18 years, as legal workers have been supplanted by pseudo slaves from SOB, the rate is largely unchanged.

Though I'm not sure why it matters? I'M not one of those trying to say there isn't a problem!!
In other words, youre p issed off over what you read on the news. In other words, you are very removed from the problem.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
You mean show respect to people in the first place?
Nah.
Now this is the most amazing thing...........

Here we have people, known illegals as identified by the police who have done all these things:

Quote:
and you expect her to show them respect? Respect for what?

Old 08-02-2008, 06:25 PM

17,286 posts, read 24,999,273 times
Quote:
In other words, youre p issed off over what you read on the news. In other words, you are very removed from the problem.

I don't know if you noticed that I pay "taxes" which go to support all of the above. Specifically, schooling and foodstamps for kids who have no business being here. And higher car insurance rates.

Again, however, you've missed the point. "I" am not one of those who see nothing but beauty in illegal immigration. I can live on MARS and understand the PROBLEMS associated with illegal immigration, and feel empathy towards my fellow LEGAL citizens and LAWFUL residents who ARE effected in real, tangible ways.

I can also STILL maintain derision and contempt for "high on the hill" pontificators as to the joys and benefits of illegal immigration, but none of the bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration