U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 08:06 AM

7,020 posts, read 9,894,200 times

Advertisements

Marxavi Angel Martinez used to assist patrons at the Graham Public Library in Alamance County. Now she sits behind bars facing immigration charges.

Martinez, 23, was brought to this country from Mexico when she was 3 by her parents, who overstayed their visa. Martinez's husband also has been arrested on immigration charges.

Martinez faces federal charges, including identity theft for using a dead man's Social Security number. Her case, complicated even more by her 1-year-old, is worthy of a modern-day Solomon, and we'll let the immigration judge decide it. But her situation shows why U.S. immigration policy needs revising.

Cases like Martinez's are the result of policy that is contradictory and ineffective. For many years, the nation haphazardly combatted illegal immigration, thus encouraging illegal immigrants and their employment. At the same time, it restricted access to legal immigration channels.

Ending illegal entry : News-Record.com : Greensboro, North Carolina

I think they should jail and then promptly deport them all including revocation of citizenship of the anchor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 08:11 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Suffice to say:

In another era; I would have leaned more towards 'amnesty' for the parents------not anymore.

Or at least; give Mexico two hardened criminals from our legal system in lieu of us of keeping Martinez and her hubby (child would be exempt because birthright citizenship is still legal [at the moment]).

Old 08-02-2008, 08:58 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,242,129 times
He stole someone else's SS#!!!! That is a crime! How can anyone justify allowing a person to live here when they not only sneaked in, but STOLE SOMEONE'S IDENTITY. As far as the woman - well - she is not a citizen, either! And why we allow people to be here as illegal citizens and then give the children of illegals American citizenship - that is totally WACKED OUT!!!

If I stole someone's identity, I would be in prison! If I sneaked into Switzerland, they would not give a rat's ass how long I had been there or if I had a kid - I would be DEPORTED.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Suffice to say:

In another era; I would have leaned more towards 'amnesty' for the parents------not anymore.

Or at least; give Mexico two hardened criminals from our legal system in lieu of us of keeping Martinez and her hubby (child would be exempt because birthright citizenship is still legal [at the moment]).
I have to disagree with amnesty on any terms or era if for no other reason it is obvious that the criminal IA parents deliberately overstayed their visas and the child (turned criminal adult), added insult to injury because both "parents" willfully used and benefited from the stolen identity of a dead man.

In cases like this it is unfortunate that the child is exempt. When parents deliberately have children in order to anchor themselves to this country (which I have no doubt pertains to these two crooks) the 14th should either be amended to state that the offspring of 2 illegal aliens does not constitute automatic citizenship for any of their children or abolished all together.

Here's hoping they agree to take their anchor with them upon their exit.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 08-02-2008 at 09:10 AM..

Old 08-02-2008, 09:09 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,708,999 times
Quote:
Only when strong enforcement has established that illegal entry won't be tolerated can the United States increase immigration quotas. Only then can Congress consider such measures as the DREAM Act, which would allow those brought here illegally as children the chance to apply for citizenship if they live in the United States several years, finish high school and show "good moral character."

The United States prides itself on being a nation of immigrants, not a nation of lawbreakers. Strict enforcement of immigration laws, plus a policy that provides more people the opportunity to legally enter this country, will help the nation hold on to this tradition.
This is possibly written by a DREAMie or at least an IA sympathizer. He or she is willing to adopt measures that send the message that illegal immigration will not be tolerated, but does not address what to do with the 12+ million that are already here. I am left with the impression that the writer wants to give every illegal already here amnesty AND increase legal immigration- 'provides more people the opportunity to legally enter this country'. We already allow in over 1 million per year, God only knows how many more this individual feels we should be letting in. Probably anybody and everybody who wants to come totally irrespective of whether having another 10 million or so people with no job skills and a 7th grade education in any way benefits the US. Add in their above the US average fertility rates and propensity to bring in multiple family members and you have a recipe for disaster. The only thing standing between our system of benefits and complete collapse now is that fact that the illegal aliens are limited in what they have access to. Once they can all sign up for the full buffet of measures available to citizens (while contributing nothing or very little due to the fact that they work low paying jobs), things will go downhill very fast.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:18 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,242,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
This is possibly written by a DREAMie or at least an IA sympathizer. He or she is willing to adopt measures that send the message that illegal immigration will not be tolerated, but does not address what to do with the 12+ million that are already here. I am left with the impression that the writer wants to give every illegal already here amnesty AND increase legal immigration- 'provides more people the opportunity to legally enter this country'. We already allow in over 1 million per year, God only knows how many more this individual feels we should be letting in. Probably anybody and everybody who wants to come totally irrespective of whether having another 10 million or so people with no job skills and a 7th grade education in any way benefits the US. Add in their above the US average fertility rates and propensity to bring in multiple family members and you have a recipe for disaster. The only thing standing between our system of benefits and complete collapse now is that fact that the illegal aliens are limited in what they have access to. Once they can all sign up for the full buffet of measures available to citizens (while contributing nothing or very little due to the fact that they work low paying jobs), things will go downhill very fast.
SIMPLY PUT - we are allowing a poverty class to be created in this country.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Agreed. I am all for a 5 year moratorium on all legal immigration until we get our crumbling house in order. The 14th amendment should be abolished.

Thereafter, only employer sponsored, and regulated legal immigrants should be allowed to come. If they overstay their visas then the employer should be fined and depending on the length of the overstay jailed. I am sick and tired of our laws being ignored and the anchor babies being granted instant citizenship because two illegal aliens procreated in this country or the IA managed to get her womb across the border before giving birth. Anyone with less than a high school education (that does not qualify for humanitarian purposes) should not be allowed to apply for citizenship under any circumstances.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:53 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Agreed. I am all for a 5 year moratorium on all legal immigration until we get our crumbling house in order. The 14th amendment should be abolished.

Thereafter, only employer sponsored, and regulated legal immigrants should be allowed to come. If they overstay their visas then the employer should be fined and depending on the length of the overstay jailed. I am sick and tired of our laws being ignored and the anchor babies being granted instant citizenship because two illegal aliens procreated in this country or the IA managed to get her womb across the border before giving birth. Anyone with less than a high school education (that does not qualify for humanitarian purposes) should not be allowed to apply for citizenship under any circumstances.
ITA! Between massive closures of our manufacturing industries, outsourcing to China and India, insourcing via H1B visas, and a steady influx of dirt cheap illegal labor; we are displacing millions of legal citizens. What is their fate? Does our government even care?

We simply cannot sustain this level of illegal immigration. While the majority enter our country illegally, or overstay visas for employment opportunities, we cannot ignore the estimated 10% of illegals who are committing crimes (some heinous). We cannot ignore the tax drain their presence engenders, i.e. K-12 education for the children -- including ESL classes, free breakfast/lunch; prenatal (for the ‘future’ U.S. citizen) and postnatal care, including WIC and welfare; unprecedented hospital closures due to massive unpaid medical bills by illegal aliens…….just to name a few.

We cannot allow our compassion to blind us. There are impoverished people throughout this world. Are we to simply welcome with open arms every person in the world seeking a better life, while we ignore the needs of our own citizens?

We also cannot be swayed by the sundry labels pro-illegals have ascribed to all opposing this lawlessness. We are NOT racists, xenophobes, nativists, or haters simply due to our opposition to illegal immigration, and our demands to secure our borders and protect our sovereignty.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:57 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I have to disagree with amnesty on any terms or era if for no other reason it is obvious that the criminal IA parents deliberately overstayed their visas and the child (turned criminal adult), added insult to injury because both "parents" willfully used and benefited from the stolen identity of a dead man.

In cases like this it is unfortunate that the child is exempt. When parents deliberately have children in order to anchor themselves to this country (which I have no doubt pertains to these two crooks) the 14th should either be amended to state that the offspring of 2 illegal aliens does not constitute automatic citizenship for any of their children or abolished all together.

Here's hoping they agree to take their anchor with them upon their exit.
Hence in part my post stating no amnesty anymore.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:52 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,993,791 times
Those bastards stole a dead man's ss number!!

What's he going to do when he wants to buy a new car, and the dealer tells him, "sorry, buddy! your credits all screwed up! Some wet.."

Oh yeah...nevermind..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or