U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 10:49 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times

Advertisements

A few interesting facts can be found at this link. State Funding Requirements Under the New Welfare Law - 4/15/97

Quote:
The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 radically altered the way in which welfare programs for families with children are financed. ]In the past, the federal government and the states shared responsibility for funding AFDC, JOBS, and Emergency Assistance (EA). Under the prior system, the federal government "matched" a state's expenditures at a rate established roughly in accordance with the state's fiscal capacity — for every additional dollar a state spent, it could receive anywhere from $1 to $4.88 in federal funds. On the other hand, if a state allowed its own spending to fall, then the federal government's contribution to that state's welfare programs also fell, creating an implicit financial incentive for states to maintain their own spending on programs for low-income families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 10:53 AM

7,020 posts, read 9,894,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
A few interesting facts can be found at this link. State Funding Requirements Under the New Welfare Law - 4/15/97
This is the nail in the coffin needed to prove the liability of the state of California for approving the abundant allocation of state funds to illegal alien beneficiaries.

Thanks Benicar It is my pleasure to rep you!

Old 08-04-2008, 11:08 AM

According to the U.S. government, illegal aliens are restricted from "legally" receiving federal benefits, with the following exceptions.

Quote:
(A) Medical assistance under title XIX of the Social Security
Act [42 U.S.C. 1396 et seq.] (or any successor program to such
title)

(B) Short-term, non-cash, in-kind emergency disaster relief.

(C) Public health assistance (not including any assistance under
title XIX of the Social Security Act [42 U.S.C. 1396 et seq.]) for
immunizations with respect to immunizable diseases and for testing
and treatment of symptoms of communicable diseases whether or not
such symptoms are caused by a communicable disease.

(D) Programs, services, or assistance (such as soup kitchens,
crisis counseling and intervention, and short-term shelter)
specified by the Attorney General,

(E) Programs for housing or community development assistance or
financial assistance administered by the Secretary of Housing and
Urban Development,
WAIS Document Retrieval

Old 08-04-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benicar View Post
according to the u.s. Government, illegal aliens are restricted from "legally" receiving federal benefits, with the following exceptions.

wais document retrieval

He, he . . . . *crickets* . . . . .

Old 08-04-2008, 11:21 AM

2,464 posts, read 5,686,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Each state is allocated funds from the federal government. While the guidelines and funding are federally sponsored, allocation of the funding to recipients is up to the states. Therefore, the Governor of California is responsible for the amount doled out to illegal aliens.

So again, please explain why illegal aliens receiving welfare are not a detriment to the budget of California and its taxpayers. Thank you in advance.
Okay, I'm going to go into this one more time as I've already mentioned more than enough evidence to contradict your theory (I'm sure these threads can go on forever).

I think you just inadvertently made my point for me - "Therefore, the Governor of California is responsible for the amount doled out to illegal aliens." Politicians, voters, and their policies caused the financial crisis - they are the ones who decides how money is spent (or where to get sources of revenue).

I never said it (illegal immigration) didn't contribute to the problem - that it isn't a burden is impossible to deny, I think I made that clear already. However, you are blaming people who can't vote or serve in office for a budget that was created by U.S. Citizens. You are essentially ignoring 30 years of bad policies instilled by California politicians/voters. So, essentially, you are not looking at the full picture - you are looking at ONE element which isn't enough to cause California to have such a deficit for so long. There's almost always a bond measure of some sort on CA ballots - which is usually approved (more debt). If it makes financial sense, it's declined. People vote with their feelings here and rarely acknowledge/realize the consequences. Any state - even with 0 illegals - will have the same problems if they are fiscally liberal (and shoot themselves in the foot) like California.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:38 AM

2,464 posts, read 5,686,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
That only explains the benefits that the anchors are entitled to. The children, however, cannot cash or spend the proceeds from the check, the illegal alien parents are the recipients and spenders of that money as they consider it their reward for having babies on US soil.

Additionally, illegal aliens cannot be turned away from hospital emergency rooms. Another state budget buster that has resulted in a multitude of hospital closings in California.
Man, you are just sucking me in...

People w/ no insurance can't be turned away from hospital ERs - illegals aren't the only individuals with no insurance. I'm aware of the hospital ER closings (just two in so Cal that I've heard of). You may not think so, but children are entitled to receive appropriate help whether they are illegal or not - so we'll have to agree to disagree on that point.

Also, you are concentrating on the spending side... but there is - obviously - another side to a budget - income. Income. Income. Income. That is the part of the equation that you are essentially ignoring. That is where the Democrats screwed up a long time ago where we are really starting to feel the effects of decisions made 30 years ago. The consequences were surely unintended but profound. Illegals may compound the problem but they ARE NOT the source of the problem. If you want to find the source then you'll just have to look back in history.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
Okay, I'm going to go into this one more time as I've already mentioned more than enough evidence to contradict your theory (I'm sure these threads can go on forever).

I think you just inadvertently made my point for me - "Therefore, the Governor of California is responsible for the amount doled out to illegal aliens." Politicians, voters, and their policies caused the financial crisis - they are the ones who decides how money is spent (or where to get sources of revenue).

I never said it (illegal immigration) didn't contribute to the problem - that it isn't a burden is impossible to deny, I think I made that clear already. However, you are blaming people who can't vote or serve in office for a budget that was created by U.S. Citizens. You are essentially ignoring 30 years of bad policies instilled by California politicians/voters. So, essentially, you are not looking at the full picture - you are looking at ONE element which isn't enough to cause California to have such a deficit for so long. There's almost always a bond measure of some sort on CA ballots - which is usually approved (more debt). If it makes financial sense, it's declined. People vote with their feelings here and rarely acknowledge/realize the consequences. Any state - even with 0 illegals - will have the same problems if they are fiscally liberal (and shoot themselves in the foot) like California.
I really don’t believe anyone is “blaming” illegal aliens solely for the budget deficit in CA or any other state. I wholeheartedly concur that our idiotic government and the inept state leaders are in fact guilty of fiscal irresponsibility, and the resultant deficits. However, I do believe illegal immigration is a salient factor contributing to the financial problems many states now experience. Maryland has also stupidly offered tax-funded benefits to illegal aliens, and is now suffering the consequences.

Yes, our elected officials, and the sheeple who continue to keep them in office, are equally culpable for this mess. Illegal aliens are simply taking advantage of that which we have made available. What else could one expect?

Old 08-04-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:

Actually, the verbiage in your initial post was worded in such a way that you were blaming the Federal government and voters (specifically liberals) for all of the financial ills associated with California. That is why I specified the financial damage that comes with illegal immigration and back it up by posting the article regarding the millions of dollars awarded to illegals in the form of welfare. Per Benicar's posts clearly welfare is only one of many other taxpayer funded benefits granted to illegal aliens as a result of their giving birth on American soil.

Additionally, I clearly stated my awareness with regard to the fact that California had for decades been sounding the alarm with regards to irrational spending and a myriad of financial problems associated with and inclusive of those who perpetually ignore the heavy financial burden of illegal aliens. That burden is inclusive of funding for the following: educating their anchors and the children they bring with them illegally, new schools to house those children here illegally, IA gang activity, extra police being trained and hired, costs associated with interpreters, trials, judges, juries, jails the list is endless. When you factor in all that is associated with the cost of being an illegal alien sanctuary, that in and of itself pretty much breaks the bank.

My first job was as a registration clerk in an Emergency Room in Chicago, so I am fully aware that American CITIZENS receive welfare and often abuse the use of the ER for routine treatment. While I don't condone this and used to frown upon registering these people, they are still Americans and for me therein lies the difference. We do have a certain obligation to take care of our poor and indigent. Illegal aliens, on the other hand, are not deserving of any of my tax dollars.

That being said, at the end of the day, all parties mentioned there is plenty of blame to go around. While voters' choice of candidates bares a percentage of responsibility, their sheeple voting mentality is merely the tip of the iceburg. Therefore the voters alone should not be scape goated. There is plenty of blame and responsibility to go around for the descending plight of California. Pretty much every business hires illegals and practically every government official condones their presence in every state in the US.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 08-04-2008 at 12:17 PM..

Old 08-04-2008, 07:24 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Quote:

Ah words of wisdom from Momma bear... The voters own the results the politicians they elected create. Never said better Momma bear......
We vote for a candidate often based on party loyalty rather than past performance, experience or the stand they take on a given issue.
California is Notoriously Liberal. The budget crunch they are in is a direct result of laws, polices and interpretation of standing laws. In short they dont care about the tax payer just as most politicians don't. They understand that the voter is loyal to party. No not all but enough to provide job security. Kind of reminds me of folks who will only buy a certain make of car. My father always bought? So I always buy?
I hear it on radio talk shows people calling in and calling a certain candidate a traitor to the party for running against an incombent from the same party.
In short Illegals are a major drain on resourses. They don't need to be. They don't decide the laws or policies of a given city or state. They simply reap the benefit from weak cowardly politicians afraid of pizzing off a certain group of voters. In California's case? The Latino vote.
Lou Barletta of Hazelton Pa has taken a stand against the illegals and has reaped huge rewards in terms of votes.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:35 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,790,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I really don’t believe anyone is “blaming” illegal aliens solely for the budget deficit in CA or any other state. I wholeheartedly concur that our idiotic government and the inept state leaders are in fact guilty of fiscal irresponsibility, and the resultant deficits. However, I do believe illegal immigration is a salient factor contributing to the financial problems many states now experience. Maryland has also stupidly offered tax-funded benefits to illegal aliens, and is now suffering the consequences.

Yes, our elected officials, and the sheeple who continue to keep them in office, are equally culpable for this mess. Illegal aliens are simply taking advantage of that which we have made available. What else could one expect?
Have you read through this thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or