U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should this forum be retitled to "US Illegal Immigration" for clarity?
Yes 28 73.68%
No 10 26.32%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-04-2008, 12:54 PM
 
3,368 posts, read 10,295,461 times
Reputation: 1675

Advertisements

Doesn't work for me. Legal immigration is a political topic as well. What about the hundreds of thousands of people per year who come here legally? That has an effect on our country and it's culture and economy too. "Illegal immigration," no matter how much you all want to dispute this, is just a part of "immigration."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2008, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Denver
9,067 posts, read 15,502,486 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Thanks -- after all this is a subforum of "Politics and Other Controversies", I don't see how it's miscategorized when it's that.

Now if it was under "Free Legal Advice" as a subforum, then yes it could be misleading.
I understand the forum hierarchy, the issue is that nobody answers questions or discusses legal immigration. This forum was founded for the sole purpose of channelling illegal immigration topics created in the city forums and should be titled appropriately.

The discussion in this forum is "Illegal Immigration", nothing else.

Free advice is given in almost every other forum on this site. Are immigration questions the only category where nobody can give advice unless they are a lawyer? For example: the Canada, Mexico and Europe forums discuss immigration questions all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Denver
9,067 posts, read 15,502,486 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Doesn't work for me. Legal immigration is a political topic as well. What about the hundreds of thousands of people per year who come here legally? That has an effect on our country and it's culture and economy too. "Illegal immigration," no matter how much you all want to dispute this, is just a part of "immigration."
I think the problem is that Immigration was just a PC way of saying what it was really meant for; Illegal Immigration.

Those who come with questions about legal immigration get a canned reply "Contact an immigration lawyer", there are very few discussions about immigration in general. This is nothing but a facade and an ambiguous one at that. Better immigration topics are discussed at the city level, Europe, Canada or Mexico. Only the illegal Immigration topics get moved here.

Let's just call it what it is. Then when folks come looking for some advice on an H1-B or Greencards they know this is not the forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 01:25 PM
 
3,368 posts, read 10,295,461 times
Reputation: 1675
I disagree. I have talked about immigration and the economy; this is pertinent to both legal AND illegal immigraton. "Illegal immigration" is unnecessarily narrow because many of the discussions we have here have to do with both legal and illegal immigration. Legal immigrants compose a HUGE portion of this country's immigrants and I think it's silly to overlook this just because most people who participate on this forum are obsessed with illegal immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Denver
9,067 posts, read 15,502,486 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I disagree. I have talked about immigration and the economy; this is pertinent to both legal AND illegal immigraton. "Illegal immigration" is unnecessarily narrow because many of the discussions we have here have to do with both legal and illegal immigration. Legal immigrants compose a HUGE portion of this country's immigrants and I think it's silly to overlook this just because most people who participate on this forum are obsessed with illegal immigration.
Like I said if you go to Mexico, Europe, Canada or the cities you will find real immigration topics, they are not here. This forum is not about that at all, it was not created for that reason, it was created for the topic of Illegal Immigration and should be named to clearly represent that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,836,058 times
Reputation: 3028
I voted YES. However, “immigrant” advocacy groups would consider an “illegal immigration” forum as being offensive; given the fact that no human is illegal, and they are fighting to have “illegal” alien designated as hate speech. I don’t think the C-D administrators would want to invite the vitriol which would likely ensue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Arizona
2,065 posts, read 3,178,465 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I disagree. I have talked about immigration and the economy; this is pertinent to both legal AND illegal immigraton. "Illegal immigration" is unnecessarily narrow because many of the discussions we have here have to do with both legal and illegal immigration. Legal immigrants compose a HUGE portion of this country's immigrants and I think it's silly to overlook this just because most people who participate on this forum are obsessed with illegal immigration.
Sorry crisp, but I think you stepped in it this time. We accept over 1 million legal immigrants every year, but I think our ILLEGAL population grows twice as fast. I spend a lot of time reading the USBP websites and they're convinced the numbers are WAY up there, 2-3 million this last year, down about a million from the year before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Denver
9,067 posts, read 15,502,486 times
Reputation: 5288
For example, why are these topics not moved here?

American expats in Mexico resist assimilation

Burning desire to become a Canadian citizen

Want to bring British boyfriend to US

Where would you emigrate to if America became a third world country?

However, any topic created about illegal immigration is moved here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 01:34 PM
 
3,368 posts, read 10,295,461 times
Reputation: 1675
We'll just have to agree disagree. I'm not trying to be technical; I'm not trying to be "PC"; I'm just trying to be fair in stating the reality that many of the things I talk about on this forum are legitimately related to legal immigration as well as illegal immigration. Just because 95% of the people on this forum don't care about legal immigration doesn't mean that the other 5% should be told to post our discussions about plan old IMMIGRATION elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Denver
9,067 posts, read 15,502,486 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I voted YES. However, “immigrant” advocacy groups would consider an “illegal immigration” forum as being offensive; given the fact that no human is illegal, and they are fighting to have “illegal” alien designated as hate speech. I don’t think the C-D administrators would want to invite the vitriol which would likely ensue.
I also think some of the posters could not handle that degree of Non-PC, but it is the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top