U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should this forum be retitled to "US Illegal Immigration" for clarity?
Yes 28 73.68%
No 10 26.32%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 12:37 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,275,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Sorry crisp, but I think you stepped in it this time. We accept over 1 million legal immigrants every year, but I think our ILLEGAL population grows twice as fast. I spend a lot of time reading the USBP websites and they're convinced the numbers are WAY up there, 2-3 million this last year, down about a million from the year before.
Though I have read that illegal immigrants are only about 700,000-1,000,000 per year, I will give you the benefit of the doubt just for this argument. Would you say that 1,000,000 legal immigrants out of 3,000,000 total entrants of this country per year is NOT a "huge portion" of this country's immigrants???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
Perhaps Immigration should be outside the P&OC forum and be categorized better?

Something like this:

Immigration -
  • Legal
  • Undocumented
  • Emigrating outside the US
  • Immigrating to the US

Old 08-04-2008, 12:52 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
We'll just have to agree disagree. I'm not trying to be technical; I'm not trying to be "PC"; I'm just trying to be fair in stating the reality that many of the things I talk about on this forum are legitimately related to legal immigration as well as illegal immigration. Just because 95% of the people on this forum don't care about legal immigration doesn't mean that the other 5% should be told to post our discussions about plan old IMMIGRATION elsewhere.
Personally, it's not that I "don't care" about legal immigration; it's just that legal immigration, with a few exceptions (Sharia Law), do not pose the problems of illegal immigration. I also "care about" the treatment of whales; but whales are simply not high on my list of priorities. It doesn’t mean I’m “obsessed” with non-whale issues; it’s simply a matter of personal priorities.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:54 PM

11,878 posts, read 32,924,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
This is out of courtesy to those who come looking for any other issue outside illegal immigration.

The title of this forum is misleading, those who come here for questions about immigration (Visas, Marriage, Naturalization, Costs) are not getting answers.

For example this is a real immigration forum:
ImmigrationPortal Forums

If I remember correctly the reason this forum was created was to concentrate all Illegal Immigration Threads here to not distract from the cities like L.A. Wash D.C. etc..

The primary discussion here is "US illegal immigration", so I move to have it titled properly and not be ambiguous.
I agree with you on this Mach50. I will bring this up in the Moderator forums.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:52 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I understand the forum hierarchy, the issue is that nobody answers questions or discusses legal immigration. This forum was founded for the sole purpose of channelling illegal immigration topics created in the city forums and should be titled appropriately.

The discussion in this forum is "Illegal Immigration", nothing else.

Free advice is given in almost every other forum on this site. Are immigration questions the only category where nobody can give advice unless they are a lawyer? For example: the Canada, Mexico and Europe forums discuss immigration questions all the time.
Sometimes there are posts about legal immigration. I also see immigrants in the city forums asking about a particular city having whatever group they're in.

I don't really see a general thread about legal immigration being that helpful because the USA is so big and diverse, if say that I were thinking about moving to the USA, I'd be more interested in different regions or cities because I wouldn't assume the USA is a monolith. I'd want to know about job opportunities, crime, climate, outdoor activities, and so on -- unless I were the kind of immigrant that only wanted to associate with my own ethnic group, then I might ask how many others were in that region or city. And if that's the case, it's not likely those immigrants would care to talk much with others not from their same country, they'd have different needs and issues.

The only questions I see coming from would-be immigrants on here are legal questions which I think are better answered by immigration lawyers.

You could try to have a thread somewhere -- just not under "politics and other controversies" because that just invites exactly what we're doing that you don't like.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:55 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,275,065 times
Here is a simple question: why should illegal immigration get its own thread while people who want to ask questions about immigrating here legally (and where we can talk about the consequences of this) have to go to the local forums to do so? If that's the case, why can't illegal immigration be discussed on a more localized level as well?

Old 08-04-2008, 10:00 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Here is a simple question: why should illegal immigration get its own thread while people who want to ask questions about immigrating here legally (and where we can talk about the consequences of this) have to go to the local forums to do so? If that's the case, why can't illegal immigration be discussed on a more localized level as well?
Maybe there could be a subforum under "General US" for legal immigration type discussions and questions. Moving to the USA as oppoed to moving to a particular state or city I guess.

I would guess "immigration" got it's own subforum under politics so that it wouldn't dominate "politics and other controversies" which likely it would. --- And I think the moderators in the local forums move the illegal immigration threads or those that turn into them over to here, I don't think they really want this topic discussed on city forums.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:05 AM

307 posts, read 458,237 times
Quote:
Because for all practical purposes people aren't asking about LEGAL immigration here. I looked at the last 100 threads and only found 2 which were focused on LEGAL immigrants. Do you think any significant number of people with questions about LEGAL IMMIGRATION will enter a section titled "Politics and Other Controversies > Immigration".

Of those who enter how many will post a LEGAL immigration question when they see threads with the following titles?

Attempt to smuggle in nearly 50 people in a stolen water tank truck failed - 3 were pregnant women!
BP agent held at gunpoint by mexicans, THIS IS WAR ( 1 2)
Illegal/Latino presence ravishes Nebraska town ( 1 2 3)
So US Declares War on Mexico... (hypothetically).
Mexican police, migrant smugglers open fire: 2 die
Poll: Should this forum be retitled to "US Illegal Immigration" for clarity? ( 1 2 3)
This Is What We Get For Being Nice! ( 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last Page)
Texas: Mexican-born murderer should be executed ( 1 2)
California’s $9.3 Billion Immigration Tax ( 1 2 3 4 5 6)
Illegals Bankrupting Small VA Businesses!
Mexico:How dare you send our citizens back to us
Are Fake Letters Sent To Illegals A Hate Crime?
Group Helps People In U.S. Illegally
Exhibit Showing Victims Of Illegal Alien Crimes Criticized ( 1 2)

This section is already almost purely an ILLEGAL ALIEN section. Why not call it what it is instead of confusing people and the issue?

Random

Last edited by RandomU; 08-05-2008 at 03:13 AM..

Old 08-05-2008, 02:15 PM

638 posts, read 1,638,164 times
I voted no.

Yes, the dominant conversation is illegal aliens in America, but this would exclude overlaps, ie., Europe by Islamics, Australia by Asians, political correctness, corruption, etc. And once over-categorized, threads like that would likely be moved elsewhere, to "world" discussions, "politic" discussions, instead of where they belonged, and relevant. It might be the rare bird that is actually about "immigration", but you would be excluding it too if you're only talking about illegal aliens.

Seems short-sighted to over-categorize this.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:04 PM

258 posts, read 1,470,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Yep, I think it should. Our biggest problem right now is not immigration, but ILLEGAL immigration.
Legal immigrants are welcome, most of us descend from them, but ILLEGAL immigrants, GO HOME....o/t...yes, rename the forum
Damn straight Breeze !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or