U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should this forum be retitled to "US Illegal Immigration" for clarity?
Yes 28 73.68%
No 10 26.32%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 01:58 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times

Advertisements

This is out of courtesy to those who come looking for any other issue outside illegal immigration.

The title of this forum is misleading, those who come here for questions about immigration (Visas, Marriage, Naturalization, Costs) are not getting answers.

For example this is a real immigration forum:
ImmigrationPortal Forums

If I remember correctly the reason this forum was created was to concentrate all Illegal Immigration Threads here to not distract from the cities like L.A. Wash D.C. etc..

The primary discussion here is "US illegal immigration", so I move to have it titled properly and not be ambiguous.

Last edited by Mach50; 08-02-2008 at 02:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 03:23 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
This is out of courtesy to those who come looking for any other issue outside illegal immigration.

The title of this forum is misleading, those who come here for questions about immigration (Visas, Marriage, Naturalization, Costs) are not getting answers.

For example this is a real immigration forum:
ImmigrationPortal Forums

If I remember correctly the reason this forum was created was to concentrate all Illegal Immigration Threads here to not distract from the cities like L.A. Wash D.C. etc..

The primary discussion here is "US illegal immigration", so I move to have it titled properly and not be ambiguous.
Sounds reasonable to me..I certainly wouldn't object. I've never thought of the two terms as synonymous anyway. The folks who began calling the illegals in the country "immigrants" did us all a disservice.

Want to change to name of the thread? By all means, I'll go along with that.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:25 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,789,261 times
Yep, I think it should. Our biggest problem right now is not immigration, but ILLEGAL immigration.
Legal immigrants are welcome, most of us descend from them, but ILLEGAL immigrants, GO HOME....o/t...yes, rename the forum

Old 08-02-2008, 06:26 PM

307 posts, read 458,237 times
Fantastic suggestion.

Agree 1000%. By listing it as Immigration it tends hurt those who are here legitimately as it paint them with the same brush.

Random

Old 08-02-2008, 06:54 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
The reason I don't think so is that it's not really a good thing for people to ask those on a chat forum especially under Politics about legal questions they can find answers to at government legal immigration information sites or by getting a lawyer and getting real advice.

This is under Politics, and no one is really all that concerned with legal immigration, so it will obviously end up being a debate about illegal immigration or the need for massive legal immigration and the effects of unrestrained immigration -- legal or illegal which is generally done for the purpose of slashing wages here in this country.

I think it would be wrong to present any forum on here as a source for free legal advice. Very misleading. Whenever I do see someone ask about legal questions, I suggest they contact an immigration lawyer.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:57 PM

And as far as legal immigrants who might be considering various locations or cities, there's no reason they wouldn't hit the city information forums just like everyone else would.

I don't really see a big difference for someone coming legally or a citizen in this country when it comes to questions about cities and how it is living in particular ones.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:59 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And as far as legal immigrants who might be considering various locations or cities, there's no reason they wouldn't hit the city information forums just like everyone else would.

I don't really see a big difference for someone coming legally or a citizen in this country when it comes to questions about cities and how it is living in particular ones.
Excellent points in both posts!

Old 08-03-2008, 08:14 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,174,407 times
Works for me!!

Old 08-03-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Excellent points in both posts!
Thanks -- after all this is a subforum of "Politics and Other Controversies", I don't see how it's miscategorized when it's that.

Now if it was under "Free Legal Advice" as a subforum, then yes it could be misleading.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:48 AM

1,222 posts, read 3,286,531 times
I actually proposed this in a thread in "About this forum", but then very few seemed to like the idea. Maybe if we all went to the senior mods, we could have it changed?
I too believe this is a great diea, since there are pretty much no discussions about how to become a legal resident or whatever pertaining to that subject, and if people do ask questions about it, they get no real answers, and the threads usually end up being about illegal immigration...
Plus, as one can see from looking at the new forums at CD, more questions about the overall subject (i.e. history, exercise, etc.) are asked, since people then find a forum to ask them in, and a place to be "inspired vy" to ask new questions.

It is a pitty that one has to go else where to find info on legal immigration or real discussions about legal immigration, when CD otherwise is such a great place to find info about most things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or