U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 07:23 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,898,849 times

Advertisements

Eight years ago, Mr. Jiménez, 35, an illegal immigrant working as a gardener in Stuart, Fla., suffered devastating injuries in a car crash with a drunken Floridian. A community hospital saved his life, twice, and, after failing to find a rehabilitation center willing to accept an uninsured patient, kept him as a ward for years at a cost of $1.5 million.

What happened next set the stage for a continuing legal battle with nationwide repercussions: Mr. Jiménez was deported — not by the federal government but by the hospital, Martin Memorial. After winning a state court order that would later be declared invalid, Martin Memorial leased an air ambulance for $30,000 and “forcibly returned him to his home country,” as one hospital administrator described it.

Since being hoisted in his wheelchair up a steep slope to his remote home, Mr. Jiménez, who sustained a severe traumatic brain injury, has received no medical care or medication — just Alka-Seltzer and prayer, his 72-year-old mother said. Over the last year, his condition has deteriorated with routine violent seizures, each characterized by a fall, protracted convulsions, a loud gurgling, the vomiting of blood and, finally, a collapse into unconsciousness.

“Every time, he loses a little more of himself,” his mother, Petrona Gervacio Gaspar, said in Kanjobal, the Indian dialect that she speaks with an otherworldly squeak.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/03/us...us&oref=slogin

While I feel sorry for him, this is a result of the perpetual abuse of 3rd world nations refusing to take back their nationals and take care of them. We cannot save the world nor can we bare all of the world's burdens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 07:43 PM

17,279 posts, read 24,969,411 times
Wow, Stuart is not too far away from me. They should have airlifted him to whatever hospital was in his hometown though.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:47 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,792,255 times
Drunk driving is to blame for his predicament.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:01 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,711,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Drunk driving is to blame for his predicament.
He was in the wrong place (the US) at the wrong time.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:04 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,792,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
He was in the wrong place (the US) at the wrong time.
That can be said of any tragedy. I do agree with you that he has himself to blame for being hit by a drunk driver.

Maybe we should give the drunk driver the citizen of the week award?

Old 08-02-2008, 08:15 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,887,954 times
Quote:
That can be said of any tragedy. I do agree with you that he has himself to blame for being hit by a drunk driver.

BKK LOL No we should lock that drunk up for a good long time...
As for the victim. I don't think it was right to just ship him home in that condition. We sould have done more for him as we should any human being. At the same time hospitals are getting raped by unpaid bills and its not surprising that they want to cut their losses. Not right morally but neither is stiffing a hospital that has just treated you and made you well again. Its turning into a dirty war.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:

Read the article.
There is nothing remotely amusing about this crap. If I entered Guatemala illegally and was hit by a drunk driver, do you think Guatemala would provide me with $1.5 million in 'free' medical care? If they would not, why should we be expected to pay exorbitant medical bills for their people who should not be here and are injured? Or people who know they need expensive medical care and cross into the US illegally, knowing they will get it? Did you read about the 6 illegal aliens who came here for dialysis? It costs $65,000 a year, multiply that times 6.
This man should have been returned to his home country as soon as his condition was stable enough to transport him there. He is a citizen of Guatemala. His government needs to provide him with the care he needs. Not the US.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:30 PM

2,344 posts, read 3,800,501 times
My friend was injured in an airplane crash in Kenya and as soon as he was stabilized, they transported him back to Turkey for continuing medical treatment and then Kenya pursued him for charges for the medical expense.

He had insurance for what he was doing but I guess there was a lot of things that were not included in the coverage, I honestly do not know the whole details of the story.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
BKK LOL No we should lock that drunk up for a good long time...
As for the victim. I don't think it was right to just ship him home in that condition. We sould have done more for him as we should any human being. At the same time hospitals are getting raped by unpaid bills and its not surprising that they want to cut their losses. Not right morally but neither is stiffing a hospital that has just treated you and made you well again. Its turning into a dirty war.
The condition he is in may be how he remains. Patients with severe head injuries often do not fully recover. He was in the hospital from Feb. 28, 2000 to July 10, 2003 except for a stay in a nursing home that does not sound like it lasted real long. I would be interested to hear specifically what else you feel we should have done.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:15 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,898,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Read the article.
There is nothing remotely amusing about this crap. If I entered Guatemala illegally and was hit by a drunk driver, do you think Guatemala would provide me with $1.5 million in 'free' medical care? If they would not, why should we be expected to pay exorbitant medical bills for their people who should not be here and are injured? Or people who know they need expensive medical care and cross into the US illegally, knowing they will get it? Did you read about the 6 illegal aliens who came here for dialysis? It costs $65,000 a year, multiply that times 6.
This man should have been returned to his home country as soon as his condition was stable enough to transport him there. He is a citizen of Guatemala. His government needs to provide him with the care he needs. Not the US.
I totally agree. The US donates billions of our tax dollars in foreign aid annually, yet people continue to disrespect our laws, pour into the country by the millions illegally, depress our wages and still expect us to fulfill all of their social needs, educate and feed their children and happily support their aging relatives via chain migration. After all of that, we are also held accountable for fulfilling their version of the "American Dream".

Here we are almost a century later, the well is just about dry, our country is fast becoming a multicultural, multilingual financially, and morally bankrupt society and the world is still whining. Nothing we do will ever be enough because those who come from poverty stricken nations have this fantasy that America is a country with streets paved with gold with free, instant everything. All you have to do to qualify for "your piece of the pie" is get here legally or illegally, it doesn't matter just get here by any means necessary and you are eligible to claim your share of the pot of gold.

It's way past time to turn off the lamp, slam the doors and take care of our own.

This bares repeating:

http://www.beaufortgazette.com/local/story/510242.html (broken link) - Video of Testimony: Illegal Runs Up 1.5 Mil Hospital Bill and Sues US
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration