U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 07:21 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times

Advertisements

If the US declared war on Mexico, it would be obligated to bomb Los Angeles. Not sure exactly how this would pan out, legally. Would the military have to do the actual bombing...or the National Guard? Would the order to drop the bomb be given in English? Would the directive go out to evacuate Cancun, a week before it was bombed?

Who would pick our crops, once the war was over?

I don't think we should rush into this....but I THINK I can find my old Navy uniform, just in case. (Hope I'm sent to Mazatlan for invasion duty)...

Old 01-09-2009, 07:38 PM

1,435 posts, read 3,507,287 times
Quote:
If the US declared war on Mexico, it would be obligated to bomb Los Angeles.
Than the Hollywood movie industry would have to relocate to New York City.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:14 PM

1,079 posts, read 1,530,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
With 2 wars going on and military spread thin?
Yeah, we'd still win. We could take some NG units and a few boyscout troops and get it done.

Quote:
There would have to be a major draft.
Not really. Between the Guard units that are still at home or between deployments and maybe a single active duty division, we'd be ok. We could raise some volunteer units, probably, like back in the old days...make some of those border watching groups semi-official or something.

Quote:
Would US annex Mexico?
That might work...we could use the oil. Declare them a territory, not a new state...reinstitute colonialism.

Quote:
Would we declare all illegals in our country enemy combatants?
Maybe if they were actively fighting us from within...just a few bad apples would ruin it for, um, the rest of the bad apples.

Of course, I would advocate rounding them all up regardless, so it seems that rounding them up in the event of a war with Mexico is a no-brainer.

Quote:
Do you think Americans would revolt?
Get upset? Protest? March? Yes.

Revolt? um...no

Quote:
Mexico supplies much of our oil.
All the more reason to annex, but not completely incorporate them into the United States

Quote:
I think a war with Mexico might just be the knife that divides this country entirely. The world would disassociate from us.
There are lot of other things higher on the list that will finally divide this country before "war with mexico"

And how would the world disassociating themselves from us be a bad thing? Would that mean we could quit sending out all that foreign aid?

Old 01-24-2009, 12:13 AM

17,449 posts, read 22,965,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Than the Hollywood movie industry would have to relocate to New York City.
It's already largely relocated to Vancouver although NYC (the traditional second city of the film industry) is holding its own.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:01 PM

117 posts, read 259,517 times
If we went to war with Mexico, then most people would fear every Hispanic in the US. Remember after 9-11 how everyone thought that every Middle-Eastern person was a terrorists and how even some of them were murdered because they wore a head piece like Bin Laden. The truth was that the hijackers were neatly dressed with no rag on there head or any drapes on. They were also allowed to come here legaly on visas and some of them even stood after their visas expired and were therefore illegal aliens.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:30 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael85225 View Post
If we went to war with Mexico, then most people would fear every Hispanic in the US. Remember after 9-11 how everyone thought that every Middle-Eastern person was a terrorists and how even some of them were murdered because they wore a head piece like Bin Laden. The truth was that the hijackers were neatly dressed with no rag on there head or any drapes on. They were also allowed to come here legaly on visas and some of them even stood after their visas expired and were therefore illegal aliens.
Correction:

Anybody who has light brown skin and Indianesque facial features would be at higher risk whereas White Hispanics speaking unaccented English would fly under the radar.

The race card would cut across ethnic lines here.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:18 AM

7,624 posts, read 8,119,825 times
Quote:
Of course, I would advocate rounding them all up regardless, so it seems that rounding them up in the event of a war with Mexico is a no-brainer.
It would require a presidential order under the Alien Enemies Act of 1798 which allows the president to order the detention of all nationals of a nation that the US is officially at war with. That's what FDR used to round up the Japanese after Pearl Harbor though their was not a single known act of sabotage or subversion by Japanese Americans during WWII. I believe they detained any first generation German Americans and Italian Americans living in certain areas as well.

With 12,000,000+ illegals (and for the sake of argument lets say that 4,000,000 are Mexican) we are bound to have a few that would commit sabotage or subversion. Even if it was just 1,000 of them they could do alot of damage.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:32 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
It would require a presidential order under the Alien Enemies Act of 1798 which allows the president to order the detention of all nationals of a nation that the US is officially at war with. That's what FDR used to round up the Japanese after Pearl Harbor though their was not a single known act of sabotage or subversion by Japanese Americans during WWII. I believe they detained any first generation German Americans and Italian Americans living in certain areas as well.

With 12,000,000+ illegals (and for the sake of argument lets say that 4,000,000 are Mexican) we are bound to have a few that would commit sabotage or subversion. Even if it was just 1,000 of them they could do alot of damage.
The roundup of Japanese Americans was hypocritical at best: if they were truly a security threat-----------then why were they allowed to stay in Hawaii, rhetorically speaking? Hell; supposedly; if a person was even 1/8th Japanese, he/she was also at risk for internment.

Frankly; I still believe the real reason that they were detained was due to their overall success as assimilated Americans following the WASP handbook and many people were jealous of the 'Japanese'.

For that matter here in Arizona; if a family of Japanese lineage stayed north of Main St in Mesa Az (the old US Rte 60 alignment), they were not hassled by the authorities. Although, that loophole may have been in place to protect the Ishikawa's, they were/are an old Mesa family who may be Mormon.

Bottom line: I have a problem treating American citizens that way if they committed no actual crimes.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:33 AM

7,020 posts, read 9,898,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post

With the assistance of the ACLU, the Chamber of Commerce, the catholic church. LaRaza, LuLac, Maldef and the anchor baby invasion of our government, economically and culturally, they already have.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:35 PM

7 posts, read 7,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What?

Pride? How about some demonstrations in the streets to better the average living condition for the average Mexican? Instead of demanding rights and free services here in American how about demand them in Mexico? Can't you have pride before you flee here?
If you were from Mexico you would no that our pride and our economical stand point makes a mexican a stronger person because we have to work and fight for what we need. and what do YOU mean by demonstrations in the streets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration