U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 07:19 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,035,044 times

Advertisements

We would never go to war against Mexico, because as Mach50 said -- what would we win? More people to suck the government dry? There would be neither economic nor social benefit of winning -- so why fight?

Old 08-05-2008, 07:38 AM

1,861 posts, read 2,968,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
We would not be going to war for any of the usual reasons. We do not seek additional territory nor do we want natural resources. We will not be attempting to impose democracy on a country that may or may not want it. Religion will not be the reason for the conflict, neither will differing political ideologies. We are not trying to free the Mexican people from an evil dictatorship.
All we want from Mexico would be 2 things: a) stay out of our country unless you have our permission to be here and b) take back your citizens.

I would view this conflict as a defensive action (ie returning people who have invaded the US to their rightful homeland) rather than reflecting aggression on our part. They are the ones who are in our country even though they have no business being here. If the rest of the world does not approve, that is too bad. Actually, I can't even remember the last time the rest of the world approved of something we did.

What we would win would be an end to illegal incursions into our country ( a border fence like the one that surrounds Leavenworth, enforced time limits on visas, no more anchor babies). We would also win less crowded schools, rejuvenation of neighborhoods once blighted by clown houses, our hospitals could give needy and uninsured Americans a break instead of having any 'give' in the budget eaten up covering care to illegals, there will be fewer inmates in our prisons and, quite frankly, alot of the racial tension between hispanics and everybody else will simmer down once illegal aliens are out of the mix. That does not sound too bad to me.
Exactly correct!

Since we have been invaded by millions of people from another country who expect us to support them with our taxes when they are not even supposed to BE here, we have every reason to attack Mexico.

The Mexican government encourages their people to go to the U.S., so THEY don't have to take any responsibility for them. They even have a leaflet telling them how to become an illegal in the U.S.!

I'd like us to rid ourselves of Mexico entirely.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:39 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,710,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
With 2 wars going on and military spread thin? There would have to be a major draft.
Would US annex Mexico?
Would we declare all illegals in our country enemy combatants?
Do you think Americans would revolt?
Mexico supplies much of our oil.

I think a war with Mexico might just be the knife that divides this country entirely. The world would disassociate from us.

Quote:
Many analysts believe that Mexican oil production has peaked, and that the country’s production will continue to decline in the coming years.

The decline is driven mainly by falling production at the super-giant Cantarell field

Pemex faces a variety of challenges in its efforts to stem Mexico’s oil production decline. First, Pemex sends a large share of its revenues to the federal government, sometimes transferring amounts in excess of its actual profits. In addition, Mexico’s Congress must approve Pemex’s budget each year. This has the effect of constraining Pemex’s ability to independently make funding decisions and can hinder long-term planning efforts. These fiscal imbalances have led to Pemex carrying a high debt load, which could hinder Pemex’s access to international capital markets and prohibit increased spending on exploration and production.

Mexico’s oil consumption averaged 2.00 million bbl/d in 2006. According to OGJ, Mexico has six refineries, all operated by Pemex, with a total refining capacity of 1.68 million bbl/d. The largest facility in the country is the 330,000-bbl/d Salina Cruz facility. Pemex also controls 50 percent of the 334,000-bbl/d Deer Park refinery in Texas. Despite its status as one of the world’s largest crude oil exporters, Mexico is a net importer of refined petroleum products. In 2006, Mexico imported 473,000 bbl/d of refined petroleum products, while exporting 183,000 bbl/d. Gasoline represented over 60 percent of product imports. A resumption of brisk economic growth is one cause for the increase in refined product imports.
http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/Mexico/Oil.html

Who is it that you think supplies Mexico with refined products? Can you say 'US refineries'? Mexico has habitually taken any funds generated by Pemex and blown them on day to day expenses or new palaces instead of using them for exploration or research and development. As a result of this long term neglect, production at the Cantarell field is declining much sooner than would have been expected had it been properly managed. They don't want to send us oil? Find somebody else to refine it!

Old 08-05-2008, 08:41 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
We would not be going to war for any of the usual reasons. We do not seek additional territory nor do we want natural resources. We will not be attempting to impose democracy on a country that may or may not want it. Religion will not be the reason for the conflict, neither will differing political ideologies. We are not trying to free the Mexican people from an evil dictatorship.
All we want from Mexico would be 2 things: a) stay out of our country unless you have our permission to be here and b) take back your citizens.

I would view this conflict as a defensive action (ie returning people who have invaded the US to their rightful homeland) rather than reflecting aggression on our part. They are the ones who are in our country even though they have no business being here. If the rest of the world does not approve, that is too bad. Actually, I can't even remember the last time the rest of the world approved of something we did.

What we would win would be an end to illegal incursions into our country ( a border fence like the one that surrounds Leavenworth, enforced time limits on visas, no more anchor babies). We would also win less crowded schools, rejuvenation of neighborhoods once blighted by clown houses, our hospitals could give needy and uninsured Americans a break instead of having any 'give' in the budget eaten up covering care to illegals, there will be fewer inmates in our prisons and, quite frankly, alot of the racial tension between hispanics and everybody else will simmer down once illegal aliens are out of the mix. That does not sound too bad to me.
Great post! Wish I could rep you.

Since this is hypothetical……we could simply nuke them. End of story.

In reality, even with our military spread throughout the world, Mexico is simply no match for the US. We would eviscerate Mexico.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:13 AM

7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Great post! Wish I could rep you.

Since this is hypothetical……we could simply nuke them. End of story.

In reality, even with our military spread throughout the world, Mexico is simply no match for the US. We would eviscerate Mexico.
Agreed. I also think it would be the cheapest and most efficient way to solve a multitude of problems in one fell swoop.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:24 AM

1,417 posts, read 852,101 times
Who'd fight for Mexico? It's military isn't really strong.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:45 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,307,909 times
Your post is hypothetical, but what of the ACTUAL situation we find ourselves in now? Have we not been successfully invaded by an enemy? How many Germans made it to our soil in WWII? Has the enemy not imposed their culture and language on us? How many of you are bombarded with German every day? Has the enemy not caused massive damage to our country? How many hospitals closed in WWII?

Old 08-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Who'd fight for Mexico? It's military isn't really strong.
It would probably be more of a gorilla war with possibly 3rd party mercenaries involved. It would be another non-conventional war, with complexities of having a large population of their citizens already behind lines and a large number of Americans that would oppose such an act.

I think it would be much more difficult that many of you describe here, to me it is is something the US simply could not handle right now.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
Your post is hypothetical, but what of the ACTUAL situation we find ourselves in now? Have we not been successfully invaded by an enemy? How many Germans made it to our soil in WWII? Has the enemy not imposed their culture and language on us? How many of you are bombarded with German every day? Has the enemy not caused massive damage to our country? How many hospitals closed in WWII?
My post is hypothetical but so are all the chants of WAR on Mexico here in this forum, I think it is best to call them out on exactly what they are proposing.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:43 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
My post is hypothetical but so are all the chants of WAR on Mexico here in this forum, I think it is best to call them out on exactly what they are proposing.
How do you interpret the illegal presence of 20+ million foreign nationals; in particular, a majority from Mexico……if not an invasion? How do you interpret the protest marchers waving foreign (primarily Mexican) flags, DEMANDING rights and privileges reserved for legal citizens of this country? How do you interpret the flagrant disregard for our laws and our sovereignty?

If 20 million foreigners illegally entered our country during the course of a week, would it not be considered an invasion? The fact that they have come in increments does not diminish the impact, nor does it justify their presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration