U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 11:44 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
It would probably be more of a gorilla war with possibly 3rd party mercenaries involved. It would be another non-conventional war, with complexities of having a large population of their citizens already behind lines and a large number of Americans that would oppose such an act.

I think it would be much more difficult that many of you describe here, to me it is is something the US simply could not handle right now.
From a guerrilla (assymetrical) warfare point of view; I have to agree with you there.......

To play Devil's Advocate from another POV: Mach50 (I am being quite serious here); if Mexico were to decend into anarchy between the returning illegals (with Anchor Babies in tow), Zetas, as well as the drug cartels mixing it up-------any suggestions on what the USA should do? Again; I am not being flippant here.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:52 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,472,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
How do you interpret the illegal presence of 20+ million foreign nationals; in particular, a majority from Mexico……if not an invasion? How do you interpret the protest marchers waving foreign (primarily Mexican) flags, DEMANDING rights and privileges reserved for legal citizens of this country? How do you interpret the flagrant disregard for our laws and our sovereignty?

If 20 million foreigners illegally entered our country during the course of a week, would it not be considered an invasion? The fact that they have come in increments does not diminish the impact, nor does it justify their presence.
Listen all I am saying is be careful what you ask for, a war with Mexico or even another concentration encampment like we did of the Asians during Pearl Harbor would divide this country.

Right now we have crime committed by both sides, our companies and their citizens.

We would have to declare war on ourselves as well.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,472,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
From a guerrilla (assymetrical) warfare point of view; I have to agree with you there.......

To play Devil's Advocate from another POV: Mach50 (I am being quite serious here); if Mexico were to decend into anarchy between the returning illegals (with Anchor Babies in tow), Zetas, as well as the drug cartels mixing it up-------any suggestions on what the USA should do? Again; I am not being flippant here.
If Mexico were to descend into anarchy US should brace for refugees and expect a hell of lot of them. IMO US should not promote anarchy in Mexico, I don't think many US citizens here really grasp how awful that would be for United States. Think amnesty on entirely greater order of magnitude.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:00 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
If Mexico were to descend into anarchy US should brace for refugees and expect a hell of lot of them. IMO US should not promote anarchy in Mexico, I don't think many US citizens here really grasp how awful that would be for United States. Think amnesty on entirely greater order of magnitude.
Or; seize control of the Mx border states assuming that Mexico truly went to hell as you fear.

Then set up refugee camps there to care for the (probable) millions of firghtened and injured refugees fleeing from further south. Something tells me the civil authorities in Sonora, etc. (assuming there is a political infrastructure extant) would wind up requesting assistance from Washington up and including US (bilingual) police and possibly the USMC.

To be honest: I doubt that Mexico as a nation would descend into anarchy........why I say that is the birthrate there is barely above replacement level. In other words: Mx dimply does not have the 'cannon fodder' to spare.

All throughout history wars tend to start whenever there was a significant increase of births over deaths and the resources did not exist to support the former. Think Darwinism.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:05 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Quote:
Listen all I am saying is be careful what you ask for, a war with Mexico or even another concentration encampment like we did of the Asians during Pearl Harbor would divide this country.

Right now we have crime committed by both sides, our companies and their citizens.

We would have to declare war on ourselves as well.
You started this thread. I am not "asking" for anything. You asked for responses to a "hypothetical" question, and that's precisely what you have received. If you really didn't want to know, why did you ask?

Old 08-05-2008, 02:46 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,996,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Who'd fight for Mexico? It's military isn't really strong.
If the country is facing the threat of being invaded, you can imagine recruitment jumping skyhigh. probably on both sides.
But Mexicans would have a lot to lose ,so I'm sure they'd flood the recruitment offices. Anyways, I think they mandatory stints, so the process of creating a larger army probably wouldnt be too hard for them.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:52 PM

3,295 posts, read 4,425,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Whoaaaaaaaaaaa....this topic is opening a can of worms, Mach50!

I dont think it could ever become war of U.S. vs Mexico.

But IF it did..

There would be a very strong division among U.S. citizens over this war...WAY more so than the Iraq/Afghanistan wars.
If people were vocal in their opposition against America invading Mexico back in the Mexican-American war, imagine how it would be today with the ties between the countries being MUCH stronger, and the cultures more similar in this age than back then.
Also, the huge Mexican-American population would be very strongly opposed to this war because of family connections made even stronger by the fact Mexico is right n next door.

People would also be against this war because Mexico is at our border, and this puts America in danger of having a war on their own soil. Cities along the border especially would be in a lot of danger. San Diego and El Paso being areas with large populations right on the border.

I think a war with Mexico would be a disaster for The United States. Its a war the U.S. can't win. Even if Mexico's army was to be destroyed, The United States would have a lot of domestic problems of people being split over the war, as well as the danger of being next door to the enemy.

America is pretty good at defeating armies, but not taking over countries. Yeah, they can beat the army, but you would have MILLIONS of p issed off Mexicans living along the border. MANY lives would be lost on both sides if America invaded Mexico. This isn't 1848. Imagine an army trying to navigate through Tijuana, Mexicali, Ciudad Juarez? Mexicans are fiercely patriotic(which I'm sure youve noticed). They would make Baghdad look like war games.

But again, the countries will never go to war, and have no reason to. But if it did, it would be a disaster for both countries.
Fiercely patriotic to the point that many refuse to work on improving the country's economic climate so instead they come here (illegally) and cry "Viva Mexico".

Old 08-05-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

I dont think any of the above would send Mexico into anarchy.
We're not going to see a mass deportation of millions of illegal immigrants at any time.
The drug cartels are squabbling over territory, and they are also lashing out at the government for actually taking action against them. Theyre not used to having the laws enforced on them this hard, so theyre trying their best to get that fear back, get back to the status quo. Calderon is really shaking them up.

The last thing the United States wants to do is invade Mexico. An invasion, if not being the end, would definitely cause a lot of damage to both countries.
Mexico is not completely in chaos right now. An invasion would throw them into chaos.
And the United States would lose its sense of security it was given by being flanked by two oceans.

Not too mention this could be a chance for terrorists to take advantage of the United States waging a war on its homefront. How many attacks would be carried out during the chaos?

Also, Mexico's army isn't built up for protection. It can't wage a war with the United States. It has no missiles pointed at the United States.

How would the UN feel about this war? Especially when so many countries have interests in Mexico?
Could this be the war that finally involves a UN intervention AGAINST the United States?

The US should never invade Mexico. If they are worried about chaos happening in Mexico because of the drug cartells and returning immigrants(which I doubt is even as big a problem as it is being made out to be), then all the U.S. can do is contribute more to Mexico's war on the cartels. They are shaking them up pretty good, and with help, maybe they can deal some more serious blows.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:03 PM

But heres another question. Hypothetically of course.

Say America helps Mexico obliterate the drug cartels. The Tijuana, Sinaloa, Juarez, Gulf Cartels all destroyed.

Drugs stop coming across the Mexican border.

What happens then?

What can we expect from that?

With America being the biggest market for illegal drugs, with such a dependency on these drugs coming through Mexico into the US, what would be like if that drug highway suddenly closed?

I doubt everything would be peachy with no more drugs or addiction in the country.

I predict this would cause HIGH levels of violence in the United States. Gang warfare unseen since the early 90s, probably worse.
I see an even larger jump of an already rising Methamphetamine usage since it is easily made domestically.

I see a huge Meth epidemic. People building their own labs all over the country, lots of people getting hurt from labs exploding, the street being flooded with the drug.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:07 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Fiercely patriotic to the point that many refuse to work on improving the country's economic climate so instead they come here (illegally) and cry "Viva Mexico".
Absolutely! Apparently, a “patriotic” Mexican is one who flees the country seeking a “better life” in the US. A true patriot would be willing to fight and die to improve Mexico; not run like cowardly babies to the breast of the Mommy US. Give me a break! I’m glad Americans don’t have that type of patriotism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration