Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:22 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
How the hell did you get that?

And "being locked up by pharmacies" isn't going to keep that off the street. If anything, you'd have that stuff flowing all over the black market. Pharmacies being broken into.

The question was, imagine an America with its drug supply suddenly cut off.
I was talking about the cartels being destroyed, not opening the border.
The supply wouldn't be cut off for very long. For one thing, Mexico is only the 3rd largest producer of hard drugs in the world. Colombia and Afghanistan have it beat. Not to mention that the Chinese Triads are already here (and have been for decades) and would be willing, ready, and able to step in if the Mexican cartels were destroyed.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:13 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The supply wouldn't be cut off for very long. For one thing, Mexico is only the 3rd largest producer of hard drugs in the world. Colombia and Afghanistan have it beat. Not to mention that the Chinese Triads are already here (and have been for decades) and would be willing, ready, and able to step in if the Mexican cartels were destroyed.
I don't see why the Triads wouldn't start brining their drugs through the less enforced northern border (Canada), capitalizing from the defeat of the Mexican cartels.

America has a huge market for drugs. Somebody's going to get rich off that.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:04 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
To quote "Monty Python and the Holy Grail," I don't think I'll stay, this is a very silly place.

A far more realistic scenario for conjecture of hypotheticals would be if the Hispanic population of the U.S. in the Southwest followed the pattern that the Confederate South did and declared themselves separate from the Union for irreconcilable differences, such as currently stated preferences for porous borders with Mexico, all communication exclusively in the spanish language, and governmental laws more in accord with Catholic Church teachings. Quebecois-like autonomy would not be what those who renounce American sovereignty overall would settle for: even now, La Raza is more strident than that compromise.

Whadiya think, OP and others?
Thanks for your comments, majoun. There is no law that can't be undone by the wrong-headedness of politicians, especially if it is rescinded incrementally. I.e., FDA oversees Federal standards for food sanitation, yet Los Angeles passed a law which in effect allows illegal food vending of uninspected, non-preserved foods from carts by tweaking the enforcement codes here in L.A.

I very much see Los Angeles headed in direction counter to the interests of the Union. What if became a juggernaut state-wide?

Old 08-06-2008, 07:28 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Thanks for your comments, majoun. There is no law that can't be undone by the wrong-headedness of politicians, especially if it is rescinded incrementally. I.e., FDA oversees Federal standards for food sanitation, yet Los Angeles passed a law which in effect allows illegal food vending of uninspected, non-preserved foods from carts by tweaking the enforcement codes here in L.A.

I very much see Los Angeles headed in direction counter to the interests of the Union. What if became a juggernaut state-wide?
Again; IMHO, when the people of California turn against illegal immigration-----------it will be sudden and very ugly.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:18 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,091 times
Quote:
To quote "Monty Python and the Holy Grail," I don't think I'll stay, this is a very silly place.

A far more realistic scenario for conjecture of hypotheticals would be if the Hispanic population of the U.S. in the Southwest followed the pattern that the Confederate South did and declared themselves separate from the Union for irreconcilable differences, such as currently stated preferences for porous borders with Mexico, all communication exclusively in the spanish language, and governmental laws more in accord with Catholic Church teachings. Quebecois-like autonomy would not be what those who renounce American sovereignty overall would settle for: even now, La Raza is more strident than that compromise.

Whadiya think, OP and others?
Ah - ha - however, they would lose their U.S. government benefits!! I doubt they want that.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:20 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
If we just annexed Mexico, we'd get a lot of our manufacturing capability and jobs back.
We'd have a poorer state than Mississippi in that case - lots of mouths to feed. I think we have enough already.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:03 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
This is really really really a silly, silly silly thread................
We are not going to war , a real time shoot em up war, with Old Mexico..

This is an absolute waste of time, and thought.........geezzeeeeeeeeeeee
I think that is my point. However, If it is so silly then why do we have so many people screaming: "THIS IS WAR!". Warmongering is silly.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:13 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
No matter how it happens,or what the outcome, Mexicans and some of our own people will hold it against us,

Old 08-06-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Pot kettle black------------the first Hispanics came here 'illegally' as well in 1492.
There were no "immigration Laws" at that time. in fact The USA wasn't even a country then.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Again; IMHO, when the people of California turn against illegal immigration-----------it will be sudden and very ugly.
And they still have my support as a US Citizen and a member of MDCD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration