U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 28 days ago)

9,064 posts, read 15,478,889 times

Advertisements

I have heard it over and over "THIS IS WAR!!!" from the war hungry folks.
So let's say we goto war with Mexico over Illegal Immigration.

What do you really think would happen given our current situation in the United States?

Old 08-04-2008, 08:40 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,713,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I have heard it over and over "THIS IS WAR!!!" from the war hungry folks.

What do you really think would happen given our current situation in the United States?
We would win.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
We would win.
With 2 wars going on and military spread thin? There would have to be a major draft.
Would US annex Mexico?
Would we declare all illegals in our country enemy combatants?
Do you think Americans would revolt?
Mexico supplies much of our oil.

I think a war with Mexico might just be the knife that divides this country entirely. The world would disassociate from us.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
With 2 wars going on and military spread thin?
Would US annex Mexico?
Annexing Mexico (or any part of it) would be the worst thing we could possibly do. The only thing that would happen then is that we would inherit all their problems- no thanks.
Should illegal aliens be considered the enemy?Why not? Wouldn't Germans illegally in the US during WW2 have been considered the enemy? In the case of the illegal alien Mexicans it is very easy to void the 'enemy combatant' status. All they have to do is leave the US and return to their home country. You see, being in the US is a great deal for them but it is a lousy deal for the average American. IMO.
My only quarrel with Mexico is that they encourage all their destitute citizens to cross the border illegally and live in the US. I am sure there are citizens who would revolt at the concept of the Mexican gov. being required to take responsibility for their citizens, but I think a majority of Americans would welcome it.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:17 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,640,026 times
Quote:
With 2 wars going on and military spread thin? There would have to be a major draft.
Would US annex Mexico?
Mexico supplies much of our oil.

I think a war with Mexico might just be the knife that divides this country entirely. The world would disassociate from us.
If we first had a cross border incursion from Mexico; which I doubt would be authorized by the Mx goverrnment----------then all the bets would be off.

Note: if there were some rogue Zetas, etc. starting stuff here..........the odds would be greater that Calderon, etc. would request aid from Washington up to and including US Armed Forces and bi-lingual US police officers to back up the loyal Mexican authorities.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Annexing Mexico (or any part of it) would be the worst thing we could possibly do. The only thing that would happen then is that we would inherit all their problems- no thanks.
Should illegal aliens be considered the enemy?Why not? Wouldn't Germans illegally in the US during WW2 have been considered the enemy? In the case of the illegal alien Mexicans it is very easy to void the 'enemy combatant' status. All they have to do is leave the US and return to their home country. You see, being in the US is a great deal for them but it is a lousy deal for the average American. IMO.
My only quarrel with Mexico is that they encourage all their destitute citizens to cross the border illegally and live in the US. I am sure there are citizens who would revolt at the concept of the Mexican gov. being required to take responsibility for their citizens, but I think a majority of Americans would welcome it.
Say we win, what is it that we win? Do you think a war would fix any of our immigration problems?

Old 08-04-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Say we win, what is it that we win? Do you think a war would fix any of our immigration problems?
Quote:
We would not be going to war for any of the usual reasons. We do not seek additional territory nor do we want natural resources. We will not be attempting to impose democracy on a country that may or may not want it. Religion will not be the reason for the conflict, neither will differing political ideologies. We are not trying to free the Mexican people from an evil dictatorship.
All we want from Mexico would be 2 things: a) stay out of our country unless you have our permission to be here and b) take back your citizens.

I would view this conflict as a defensive action (ie returning people who have invaded the US to their rightful homeland) rather than reflecting aggression on our part. They are the ones who are in our country even though they have no business being here. If the rest of the world does not approve, that is too bad. Actually, I can't even remember the last time the rest of the world approved of something we did.

What we would win would be an end to illegal incursions into our country ( a border fence like the one that surrounds Leavenworth, enforced time limits on visas, no more anchor babies). We would also win less crowded schools, rejuvenation of neighborhoods once blighted by clown houses, our hospitals could give needy and uninsured Americans a break instead of having any 'give' in the budget eaten up covering care to illegals, there will be fewer inmates in our prisons and, quite frankly, alot of the racial tension between hispanics and everybody else will simmer down once illegal aliens are out of the mix. That does not sound too bad to me.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:58 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,195,246 times
actually I would imagine there would be quite a few native mexicans who would take our side on this war

They would have a lot to gain if the current establishment was to collapse

It would be a lot easier than iraq, and Afghanistan

First they are closer, and the mex are not battle hardened like the muslims

and the climate would be so much better, plus it would be fun we could stop over cancun, cozumel, tijuana

Old 08-05-2008, 12:53 AM

3,172 posts, read 5,998,873 times
Whoaaaaaaaaaaa....this topic is opening a can of worms, Mach50!

I dont think it could ever become war of U.S. vs Mexico.

But IF it did..

There would be a very strong division among U.S. citizens over this war...WAY more so than the Iraq/Afghanistan wars.
If people were vocal in their opposition against America invading Mexico back in the Mexican-American war, imagine how it would be today with the ties between the countries being MUCH stronger, and the cultures more similar in this age than back then.
Also, the huge Mexican-American population would be very strongly opposed to this war because of family connections made even stronger by the fact Mexico is right n next door.

People would also be against this war because Mexico is at our border, and this puts America in danger of having a war on their own soil. Cities along the border especially would be in a lot of danger. San Diego and El Paso being areas with large populations right on the border.

I think a war with Mexico would be a disaster for The United States. Its a war the U.S. can't win. Even if Mexico's army was to be destroyed, The United States would have a lot of domestic problems of people being split over the war, as well as the danger of being next door to the enemy.

America is pretty good at defeating armies, but not taking over countries. Yeah, they can beat the army, but you would have MILLIONS of p issed off Mexicans living along the border. MANY lives would be lost on both sides if America invaded Mexico. This isn't 1848. Imagine an army trying to navigate through Tijuana, Mexicali, Ciudad Juarez? Mexicans are fiercely patriotic(which I'm sure youve noticed). They would make Baghdad look like war games.

But again, the countries will never go to war, and have no reason to. But if it did, it would be a disaster for both countries.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:09 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,640,026 times
Although; there is a distinct possibility that Nuevo Leon, etc. may pull a 'Texas Republic 1836' and secede from Mexico due to the northern Mx states becoming angrier at subsidizing Chiapas, etc.

The above scenario I do see happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration