U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 10:25 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I know this isn't a major city, but there is a Martin Luther King Jr. Elementary School in a fairly wealthy neighborhood of whites, Indians, and East Asians in Edison, NJ. Because anything named after MLK is usually in a black area of town, I was surprised when I drove by this school and saw *ZERO* black people out and about in the surrounding neighborhoods of $500,000-$800,000 homes.
Wow! That is interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 11:13 AM

16,092 posts, read 35,784,302 times
Dallas City Hall Blog | The Dallas Morning News

"In a surprising and sudden vote, the committee has voted unanimously to recommend renaming Ross Avenue for Cesar Chavez."

scroll down and read scathing reaction from citizens

Old 08-05-2008, 11:18 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Dallas City Hall Blog | The Dallas Morning News

"In a surprising and sudden vote, the committee has voted unanimously to recommend renaming Ross Avenue for Cesar Chavez."

scroll down and read scathing reaction from citizens
Thanks for the update.

Quote:
Mr. Rasansky didn't vote because of a conflict of interest. But his suggestion that a quid pro quo deal had been cut prior to the meeting malingered after he left the room.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:30 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Talk about sweet irony here: Chavez was quite anti illegal immigrant

MEChA would hate his guts today
Not only is AZ completely correct about Chavez (he and those who worked for him were not very kind to those they caught sneaking over the border) but I personally object.

Ross Avenue is an important street in Dallas, one might say that it is historically so. To call it by any other name should be totally out of the question. It would be like changing the names of Hollywood and Vine.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:47 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Not only is AZ completely correct about Chavez (he and those who worked for him were not very kind to those they caught sneaking over the border) but I personally object.

Ross Avenue is an important street in Dallas, one might say that it is historically so. To call it by any other name should be totally out of the question. It would be like changing the names of Hollywood and Vine.
TY for having my back there.

Again; the irony as of late, every time the pro illegal fans want something (hijacking Chavez's good name for their morally bankrupt cause)--------the Law of Unintended Consequences blows up in their faces.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:22 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,995,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Talk about sweet irony here: Chavez was quite anti illegal immigrant

MEChA would hate his guts today
Theres no irony. The people proposing the street to be named Chavez arent an illegal or pro-illegal group. Mecha has nothign to do with this.

This is just a street that Hispanics are pushing to be named after another Hispanic.

In fact, this post has NOTHING to do with immigration.
Why are you guys bent out of shape over this? This a post about Hispanics, legal Hispanics at that.

Usually, people try to make some kind of far-fetched tie between irrelavant posts and immigration, but I dont see how anyone can do so with this post.

Unless I missed something.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:27 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,784,302 times
Yes you missed that the protest march of illegal immigrants demanding rights was on Ross Avenue.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:38 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,995,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Yes you missed that the protest march of illegal immigrants demanding rights was on Ross Avenue.
What does that have to do with the street being named after Chavez?

Old 08-05-2008, 05:54 PM

1,417 posts, read 852,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
What does that have to do with the street being named after Chavez?

It's because its Chavez. We don't want any more Spanish road signs. If it was Gates, it would be an entirely different story.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:09 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
It's because its Chavez. We don't want any more Spanish road signs. If it was Gates, it would be an entirely different story.
Why not David G. Farragut instead?

(Mach50 knows of who I speak of )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or