Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:55 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,964,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
That says it all. Next, they'll demand to have streets nationwide renamed to "recognize" our nations' changing face.

There are Martin Luther King boulevards and avenues in most major cities. However, all that I have seen have been located in predominately black lower-class areas. I have yet to see one in the middle of downtown metropolis. You certainly won't see one in the K Street corridor of downtown DC, or in Georgetown, or near the national monuments.

If anyone has knowledge of a Martin Luther King Blvd/Ave, etc. being located in a major area of a city, with the possible exception of Atlanta, please advise.
hi benicar,

i am proud to say that MLK Bl (formerly 15th Street) in Austin, Tex divides the State Capitol complex from the Univ of Texas campus. but it is the only MLK Bl that i've ever seen that was in a major part of bustle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 03:46 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,083,112 times
http://www.individual.com/story.php?story=86655877

"What we are asking for today is respect. What the Latino community wants today is respect. How do you tell the community that Cesar Chavez isn't good enough when this city has a 60 percent Latino population?" Dr. Garcia said just before the vote was taken. .."

Old 08-14-2008, 05:06 PM

Sign the petition to keep the 150 year-old street named Ross:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/save-ross-avenue

Old 08-14-2008, 05:30 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Sign the petition to keep the 150 year-old street named Ross:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/save-ross-avenue
Whats the purpose of this? I don't get it.
Someone earlier on this thread told me 'oh the illegals marched on that street!'
But what does that have to do with anything?

Is it that bad to have a street named after an American of Mexican descent?
Is Ross very Anglo, and therefore more comforting?
Whats your beef?

Old 08-14-2008, 05:56 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,153,205 times
How about changing it to Rosendo the equivalent of Ross in Spanish? Any takers?

Old 08-14-2008, 06:29 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,860,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Wow! That is interesting.

Dallas is a minority major city (kind of confusing, I know). The City Council, for years, has been a political hotbed filled with controversy.

The Dallas City Council does what the Dallas City Council wants. Check out the Dallas Independent School District on the Internet (DISD). Most of the results will be negative.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:04 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,735,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
How about changing it to Rosendo the equivalent of Ross in Spanish? Any takers?
How about leaving the name of historic Ross Avenue just as it is.

The move to change it to anything other than what it is should be quashed immediately.

If the Dallas City Council wants to name a street after Chavez, let them choose a street whose very name does not represent long standing Dallas tradition, like Wood Street or Marilla Street.

Leave Ross Avenue alone.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:09 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,153,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
How about leaving the name of historic Ross Avenue just as it is.

The move to change it to anything other than what it is should be quashed immediately.

If the Dallas City Council wants to name a street after Chavez, let them choose a street whose very name does not represent long standing Dallas tradition, like Wood Street or Marilla Street.

Leave Ross Avenue alone.

:l It was a joke

Old 08-14-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Whats the purpose of this? I don't get it.
Someone earlier on this thread told me 'oh the illegals marched on that street!'
But what does that have to do with anything?

Is it that bad to have a street named after an American of Mexican descent?
Is Ross very Anglo, and therefore more comforting?
Whats your beef?

This is from their site: Home Page

"Ross Avenue was the gathering place for the largest Civil Right march in Texas history! From 10:00 AM to well past 2:00 PM on April 9, 2006, Ross Avenue was filled with people walking most of it's length downtown, peacefully filling the street from sidewalk to sidewalk. (See 2 PM photo I took that day, and others linked down the page at Little Mexico, Dallas Texas.) It is estimated over 500,000 people were present in the march. Most were Hispanic. It is certain Cesar Chavez would have loved the non-violent nature of this huge march!.."

Old 08-14-2008, 07:18 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
This is from their site: Home Page

"Ross Avenue was the gathering place for the largest Civil Right march in Texas history! From 10:00 AM to well past 2:00 PM on April 9, 2006, Ross Avenue was filled with people walking most of it's length downtown, peacefully filling the street from sidewalk to sidewalk. (See 2 PM photo I took that day, and others linked down the page at Little Mexico, Dallas Texas.) It is estimated over 500,000 people were present in the march. Most were Hispanic. It is certain Cesar Chavez would have loved the non-violent nature of this huge march!.."
Im still not sold.

People seem to be against it for being named after a Hispanic person, because its a sign of Hispanics taking over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration