U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:18 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,690,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
:l It was a joke
Don't take it personally. My post is directed toward anybody who feels that it is okay to go ahead and rename this historical Dallas street, which last time I looked, was the original topic of the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 07:28 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Im still not sold.

People seem to be against it for being named after a Hispanic person, because its a sign of Hispanics taking over.
There is always Farragut Square in Wash DC............named after the US Navy hero David Glasgow Farragut.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:31 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,996,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
There is always Farragut Square in Wash DC............named after the US Navy hero David Glasgow Farragut.
Oh great, another reference to a Spaniard because Spaniards technically fall into the category of Hispanics.
Hallelujah!

Old 08-14-2008, 08:18 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Oh great, another reference to a Spaniard because Spaniards technically fall into the category of Hispanics.
Hallelujah!
How about Juarez Circle? That DC landmark was named after Benito Juarez, the Mexican president of 120+ years ago.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
How about Juarez Circle? That DC landmark was named after Benito Juarez, the Mexican president of 120+ years ago.
Cool deal.
But Cesar Chavez is an AMERICAN hero.
Are you implying that theres already too many streets or landmarks named after Hispanics?

Theres nothing wrong with people asking for a street to be named after someone. It happens ALL the time. The only reason this is a big deal, is because that person is a Hispanic.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:55 PM

629 posts, read 1,965,969 times
Quote:
Im still not sold.

People seem to be against it for being named after a Hispanic person, because its a sign of Hispanics taking over.
No, I have a feeling that they're against eradicating the names of people that are part of Dallas' heritage. The late Cesar Chavez is an important person to the hispanics but his legacy shouldn't usurp the memory of others, especially ones that had a direct impact on the city and even moreso to the very street for which it's named. Even if the Ross family isn't famous anymore to the locals, it's good to keep the past connected to our historic streets for those that study our history.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:25 AM

15,088 posts, read 16,938,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittySkyfish View Post
No, I have a feeling that they're against eradicating the names of people that are part of Dallas' heritage. The late Cesar Chavez is an important person to the hispanics but his legacy shouldn't usurp the memory of others, especially ones that had a direct impact on the city and even moreso to the very street for which it's named. Even if the Ross family isn't famous anymore to the locals, it's good to keep the past connected to our historic streets for those that study our history.
Agreed.

Furthermore, I am not impressed by efforts, completed and in progress, to name streets after various people of any background. We do not need to name streets after people to show that we respect them, what they believed in, or their work. That's a bunch of feelgood BS and it is a dog and pony show. You want to show your respect for the person, you show it by conducting yourself and living your life in a manner that would make the person that you 'respect' proud of you.

I wonder what Cesar Chavez would think of all these streets (because there are others throughout the country) named after him. I'd guess he'd be embarrassed; to be placed on a pedestal, so to speak, when the man was fighting for equality. Ironic.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:59 AM

3,640 posts, read 4,310,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Agreed.

Furthermore, I am not impressed by efforts, completed and in progress, to name streets after various people of any background. We do not need to name streets after people to show that we respect them, what they believed in, or their work. That's a bunch of feelgood BS and it is a dog and pony show. You want to show your respect for the person, you show it by conducting yourself and living your life in a manner that would make the person that you 'respect' proud of you.

I wonder what Cesar Chavez would think of all these streets (because there are others throughout the country) named after him. I'd guess he'd be embarrassed; to be placed on a pedestal, so to speak, when the man was fighting for equality. Ironic.
You are dead on correct. Chavez would not like being associated with illegals anyway since he was against illegal immigration.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:04 AM

375 posts, read 701,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
That says it all. Next, they'll demand to have streets nationwide renamed to "recognize" our nations' changing face.

There are Martin Luther King boulevards and avenues in most major cities. However, all that I have seen have been located in predominately black lower-class areas. I have yet to see one in the middle of downtown metropolis. You certainly won't see one in the K Street corridor of downtown DC, or in Georgetown, or near the national monuments.

If anyone has knowledge of a Martin Luther King Blvd/Ave, etc. being located in a major area of a city, with the possible exception of Atlanta, please advise.
An MLK drive runs right through a major portion of Cleveland, but really these are two different issues. The experience of illegal immigrants is NOT the same as Africans that were BROUGHT here to help build this country. They didn't sneak here and then start demanding rights they are not entitled to.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Agreed.

Its not like people are idolizing him in some kind of pagan ritual. Its just honoring our historical figures, and by "our" I mean "ours" as Americans.
Its done all the time. With whole cities.

Washington D.C.
JFK Airport
Maryland
Washington state
Martin Luther King Blvds
Martin Luther King schools
Kennedy schools
Garfield schools
etc etc.

I dont really care about Texas or anything in it, but I'm just a little surprised on how offended people are over naming a street after a Hispanic.
What's a Ross anyways? Only one person on here legitimately appeared to care about the issue because they knew who the street was originally named after.

Most of the people seem to be against it out of spite towards illegals and Hispanic politicians as well as Hispanics promoting someone they consider a hero.

Street names get changed all the time, but this is only a big issue because its a major street not going through a bad neighborhood, and its proposed to be named after a Hispanic by Hispanics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or