Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 08:25 PM

582 posts, read 2,039,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
We have other streets which are not named after historical figures, such as Maple, Live Oak, etc - this has been offered to the 'task force'. But the group refuses to compromise on getting another major street or even the Farmer's Market (which already has a Chavez square and monument) named for Chavez. They only want Ross -- why is that?
Oh my god! You're not from texas and your complaining about a street being named chavez in texas.Maybe it's me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 08:36 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Brothers William and Andrew Ross were prominent Dallas residents around the time of the Civil War and owned much of the land that would become Ross Avenue. The city can rename its streets as it sees fit, but does it make sense to throw over a pioneer Dallas family when the city has dozens of streets named, say, for trees?

This why the outcry against changing the name of Ross Avenue to Chavez Street, Blvd., Avenue or whatever.

There is no doubt the he (Chavez) was a great American hero. I greatly admire what he did for all workers and I have to say, I LOVE his stance on illegal immigration.

But why should a street named for a historic Dallas family have to be relegated into oblivion so that Chavez Street supporters can get what they want? They've been offered several other Dallas streets, and main streets too, not obscure little alleyways.

Chavez is no more deserving of having a street bearing his name than the Ross Family of Dallas is. Leave Ross Avenue as it is and accept a different street. We'll all be happy then. Their little march is in no way a more crucial event than the founding of the City of Dallas.
Kele & Lakewooder are right. I used to live in dallas and know that ross ave is one street that shouldn't be changed. it's been there forever and has historical meaning behind it. in austin, MLK was formerly named "15th street", a name which had probably a lot less historic significance than ross. cesar chavez fought for the plight of the LEGAL migrant worker, not the whining bunch of foreigners that we see marching today. it would be nothing short of an insult to his memory to rename ross because the illegals chose to march there. dallas does indeed have a very racist history. this might be a way of getting back at the establishment for past/present sins or merely jockeying for votes. why not rename another street to honor chavez?

Old 08-15-2008, 08:39 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I think the citizens here would rather name a street after one of our local hispanic residents who have made great marks on history - we have many of them. And I know/knew some of them and count them as friends.

lakewooder,

could you name some potential residents that should be honored? to my knowledge, dallas has never been a city known for having many mexican americans. it was/is usually viewed in an anglo/black dynamic. i could be wrong, but it seems to me that the mexican american/mexican population has only recently taken off. as a mexican american myself, i would love more streets to be named for americans of mexican descent, particularly texans. dr hector p garcia is well known and memorialized throughout south texas, but is he known in dallas? please don't mention that callejo woman after she dissed sen obama in such poor taste. so, who else is there that dallasites might embrace?

Last edited by wehotex; 08-15-2008 at 09:54 PM..

Old 08-15-2008, 08:52 PM

582 posts, read 2,039,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
lakewooder,

could you name some potential residents that should be honored?
lakewooder don't live there so ho shouldn't give a rat's ass.I'm sure if it was being named benjamin franklin this would not be discussed.You got it?it's all about the name "chavez" not 'kennedy" or "franklin".I'm hoping obama's name is not going to be used in the future or we will have to hear
this garbage again.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:10 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
lakewooder don't live there so ho shouldn't give a rat's ass.I'm sure if it was being named benjamin franklin this would not be discussed.You got it?it's all about the name "chavez" not 'kennedy" or "franklin".I'm hoping obama's name is not going to be used in the future or we will have to hear
this garbage again.
Do you ever ponder the stuff that pours out of your keyboard before you post it?

Lakewooder is a Dallasite. I was a Dallasite for the majority of my life. We don't want the name of Ross Avenue changed because of its historical relevance to the City of Dallas, not because of some imaginary bias you seem wont to attribute to this situation.

You should read the following commentary by Rafael Rodriguez regarding the renaming of Ross Avenue. Personally, I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't more or less a power play by those determined to wipe the legacy of the Ross family from the map. Apparently, as far as they are concerned, Dallasites have no right to honor a family that was instrumental in the founding of Dallas--could it be because they were white? Is that why those attempting to change the name of Ross Avenue show so little regard or respect for the Dallas pioneers?

Quote:
The Cesar Chavez Task Force will now probably attempt to the best possible extent express their collective reasoning as to why the renaming of Ross Avenue in honor of Cesar Chavez is good for the City of Dallas.

The trouble they face, however, will be in justifying their intention to literally wipe away from Dallas' map a historical footprint of a Dallas pioneer family that has been in existence for over a century in this city.

Respect? Cesar Chavez would not have allowed his memory to have been used in this manner.
Rafael Rodriguez

Old 08-16-2008, 10:14 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Lakewooder is a Dallasite?

Nah, trust me. Keep your street, its all fine and good. People of Texas have their reasons.
But what about the people who aren't from Dallas? People who probably never even been to Texas, much less have some kind of deep attachment to its history?
Just seems like Hispanophobia to me.

Who did he really mean by "we"?
And who's "them"?

Yes it seems people of Dallas are close mined imagine not all but enough that they fear a Hispanic name

Old 08-16-2008, 10:39 AM

Oh geezus. I give up.

Why should the citizens of Dallas be forced to change the name of a street named in honor of a pioneer Dallas family? Why can't the "Chavez Street" proponents choose a different street--they've been offered several. Is it because they wish to wipe out any historical reference to white people?

Talk about racism....

Old 08-16-2008, 10:49 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,701 times
Quote:
Oh geezus. I give up.

Why should the citizens of Dallas be forced to change the name of a street named in honor of a pioneer Dallas family? Why can't the "Chavez Street" proponents choose a different street--they've been offered several. Is it because they wish to wipe out any historical reference to white people?

Talk about racism....

because things change and changes can be good for ALL the people

Old 08-16-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achury View Post
because things change and changes can be good for ALL the people
Moderator cut: Personal Attack.
I can't even tell what direction you're headed for the vast majority of the time, and brother, this is one of them.

Last edited by Synopsis; 08-17-2008 at 09:30 AM..

Old 08-16-2008, 03:49 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,445 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: reference to deleted post

I can't even tell what direction you're headed for the vast majority of the time, and brother, this is one of them.
And yet you feel the need to argue with him on every post

Last edited by Synopsis; 08-17-2008 at 09:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration