U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 08:54 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,174,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
lakewooder don't live there so ho shouldn't give a rat's ass.I'm sure if it was being named benjamin franklin this would not be discussed.You got it?it's all about the name "chavez" not 'kennedy" or "franklin".I'm hoping obama's name is not going to be used in the future or we will have to hear
this garbage again.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(Ssssshhhhhhh - You don't want to rile him, he gets a little incoherent...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 09:19 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achury View Post
Yes it seems people of Dallas are close mined imagine not all but enough that they fear a Hispanic name
Google 'Judge Perez Blvd' sometime----------Leander H Perez was a vicious White supremacist out of Bernard Parish, La. who was a member of the White Citizens Council.

Perez would have had lots of 'fun' with you MEChA types

BTW: Perez's family came from Spain so he was a 'Hispanic'

Old 08-17-2008, 03:59 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,996,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Google 'Judge Perez Blvd' sometime----------Leander H Perez was a vicious White supremacist out of Bernard Parish, La. who was a member of the White Citizens Council.

Perez would have had lots of 'fun' with you MEChA types

BTW: Perez's family came from Spain so he was a 'Hispanic'
Give it a rest, Azbear. Spaniards are only Hispanic in the most technical of ways.
Like on the other thread, you say in common usage, American applies to the United States of America.
Here, Hispanic means people from Latin America.

You need to stop citing Leander Perez as an example of Latino. He has NOTHING to do with Latin America, and yet you always go out of your way to use HIM as an example on streets named after a Latino, and your favorite "white supremacist" Latinos.

I see it as you trying to rub it in people's faces that Latinos are universally racist, based on a couple of your acquaintances and this guy Perez.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:41 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Give it a rest, Azbear. Spaniards are only Hispanic in the most technical of ways.
Like on the other thread, you say in common usage, American applies to the United States of America.

You need to stop citing Leander Perez as an example of Latino. He has NOTHING to do with Latin America, and yet you always go out of your way to use HIM as an example on streets named after a Latino, and your favorite "white supremacist" Latinos.

I see it as you trying to rub it in people's faces that Latinos are universally racist, based on a couple of your acquaintances and this guy Perez.
Under US government guidelines: Spaniards are just as 'Hispanic' as a group of full blood Mayans from Guatemala.

Now: a person from Belize of Mayan heritage who only speaks Spanish and his name is Jose Martinez does not count as Hispanic/Latino here. Belize was a British colony till 1981.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:59 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,690,528 times
Quote:
Okay, let me see if I've got this straight.

Hispanics are Latin Americans, who are not even remotely related to the original speakers of Latin, the Greeks and Romans.

In the meantime, Spaniards are only technically Hispanic, yet their progeny, the 80% Mestizo and 10% Spaniard population of Mexico are the only true Hispanics (other than their fellow Latins that is)....

Yet according to the U.S. Census Bureau, "the ethnonym Hispanic is defined as "a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race."

But I'm sure you know better than they do.....

Old 08-17-2008, 10:19 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,276,533 times
Quote:
Spaniards are only Hispanic in the most technical of ways.
The Hispanic literary and cultural traditions come from SPAIN and it would be slap-in-the-face insulting to treat people from the Mother Land as anything less than Hispanic. It is really twisted that some people (on both sides of the illegal immigrant debate) seem to think that "Hispanic" means "non-European." Latin American immigrants are much more culturally European than people anywhere outside of Europe, including more culturally European than Anglo-Americans.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:32 AM

16,092 posts, read 35,788,600 times
I have to laugh at someone posting that I am not from Dallas. HA! I was born a few blocks south of Ross Avenue at Baylor Hospital on Gaston and here I am fifty years later living five minutes away.

Ross and Gaston run through the most historic parts of Dallas - there are numerous historic and conservation districts in this area.

And it's true there were not large numbers of hispanics in Dallas until illegal immigration. We had a section just north of downtown called "Little Mexico" - most of those residents lived there from the very early 1900s until "Uptown" development pushed them out. Hispanics were counted as 'white' until the early 1970s in school demographics.

However, we have plenty of home-grown Hispanic heroes and some generically named streets which could be changed to honor them. We already have a school (on Ross) named for Chavez and a plaza at the downtown Farmer's Market named for him. We also have many schools named after important local and Texas Hispanic heroes.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:11 PM

11,435 posts, read 15,949,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I have to laugh at someone posting that I am not from Dallas. HA! I was born a few blocks south of Ross Avenue at Baylor Hospital on Gaston and here I am fifty years later living five minutes away.

Ross and Gaston run through the most historic parts of Dallas - there are numerous historic and conservation districts in this area.

And it's true there were not large numbers of hispanics in Dallas until illegal immigration. We had a section just north of downtown called "Little Mexico" - most of those residents lived there from the very early 1900s until "Uptown" development pushed them out. Hispanics were counted as 'white' until the early 1970s in school demographics.

However, we have plenty of home-grown Hispanic heroes and some generically named streets which could be changed to honor them. We already have a school (on Ross) named for Chavez and a plaza at the downtown Farmer's Market named for him. We also have many schools named after important local and Texas Hispanic heroes.
well yeah, but who are some of those mexican americans that schools and monuments are named for? better yet, who are some "home grown" mexican american heroes that streets, schools, monuments should be named for? i am from corpus christi where the "pool" of prominent mexican americans is probably much larger due to the influence of a larger mexican american popul. thanks for the info about the conversion of uptown. when did that happen? were the mexican americans forced out or driven out due to property taxes? i'm aware that west dallas has a sizable mexican american popul, but otherwise spread out across the metroplex.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:09 AM

16,092 posts, read 35,788,600 times
KRLD - Hispanic Activists Not Pleased with Tollway Suggestion for Chavez (http://www.krld.com/Hispanic-Activists-Not-Pleased-with-Tollway-Sugges/2807981 - broken link)

"This could be accomplished easily I would think with the turnpike authority, and would commemorate the physical location and beginnings of the strong Hispanic business community in Dallas, and this early history," Emmons wrote in a letter over the weekend. "It would be a major presence and also name a road that essentially has no real name today."

But, the district director of the League of United Latin American Citizen, or LULAC, Renato "Ray" de los Santos said they still want Ross Avenue to be renamed after Chavez.. "

Old 08-19-2008, 11:22 AM

11,435 posts, read 15,949,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
KRLD - Hispanic Activists Not Pleased with Tollway Suggestion for Chavez (http://www.krld.com/Hispanic-Activists-Not-Pleased-with-Tollway-Sugges/2807981 - broken link)

"This could be accomplished easily I would think with the turnpike authority, and would commemorate the physical location and beginnings of the strong Hispanic business community in Dallas, and this early history," Emmons wrote in a letter over the weekend. "It would be a major presence and also name a road that essentially has no real name today."

But, the district director of the League of United Latin American Citizen, or LULAC, Renato "Ray" de los Santos said they still want Ross Avenue to be renamed after Chavez.. "

i say "take it". the tollway is a much better offer because it's so widely traveled by everyone. just look at that pitiful "President George bush tollway" (i refuse to even say it). i still find it hard to believe that dallas is even talking about this. just 20 years ago, a security guard practically chased me out of the southwestern ave apts presumably b/c i didn't look like every lily white there. when i lived there, i would always hear second hand racist comments mentioned around other white ppl. i even saw some white skinheads in a tom thumb page grocery store in skillman area once. has dallas REALLY changed that much that it is serious about doing this or have all of the white ppl left?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or