U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 01:42 PM

1,861 posts, read 2,969,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
i think the nau is inevitable to be honest.

however, ASEAN/asian union will never be as integrated because the indian/pak subcontinent is just much too different from japan/korea/china. the two largest countries (india and china), are culturally, linguistically, politically opposites. further apart than european countries, not to mention due to their inherent populations, the population (or lack thereof) argument is rendered moot.

If the NAU were to be implemented, it would be much easier for my employer to let me do a rotation in vancouver, and then montreal for a few years on the drop of a hat versus now where they have to do visa stuff.

i think the NAU will further polarize the union. i.e. the rich/well educated will be much better off. the poor will balloon in numbers, and middle will be squeezed further.

You have to remember that nothing is "inevitable" (death, maybe). It is what WE do that counts. What kind of society do WE want, and are we willing to fight for it?

If we had a NAU, Mexico would be the only country that would get anything out of it. It would just bring down Canada and the U.S. They are protesting it in Canada already, and what with our protests against illegal immigration, I don't think it will happen.

Bushie and his administration, including that horrible Condi Rice, tried to do it secretly, but the information got out. Too bad for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 02:12 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,901,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
You have to remember that nothing is "inevitable" (death, maybe). It is what WE do that counts. What kind of society do WE want, and are we willing to fight for it?

If we had a NAU, Mexico would be the only country that would get anything out of it. It would just bring down Canada and the U.S. They are protesting it in Canada already, and what with our protests against illegal immigration, I don't think it will happen.

Bushie and his administration, including that horrible Condi Rice, tried to do it secretly, but the information got out. Too bad for them.
You summed it up in a nutshell. I also believe they have begun to back pedal because the cat is out of the bag.

NAFTA is a huge reason that millions of Mexico's impoverished have taken up residence in the US. Canadians just like Americans are not pleased and have begun to fight back against their government as well.

Additionally, the US taxpayers are forced to subsidize the farmers and Mexico doesn't which has resulted in the Mexican farmers are suffering as well.

5 families hold ALL OF THE WEALTH in Mexico (aka oligarchies). Can you imagine the riots in the US if that were the case here? Yet another reason why I have little sympathy and zero respect for the millions of poverty stricken cowardly Mexicans who only become arrogant and demanding when they cross the US borders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration