Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2008, 12:56 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,405,301 times

Advertisements

MEXICO CITY — Olga Arellano sobs as she recalls how her HIV-positive daughter spent two months succumbing to infections in a U.S. migrant detention center, complaining that she didn't see a doctor or get the right medicine.
Fellow inmates also begged for help after Victoria Arellano started vomiting blood in their holding cell, where her lawyer said 105 detainees were crammed onto bunks and mattresses in a space designed for 40.
She died three days later, chained to a hospital bed.
The death of the 23-year-old transgender Mexican immigrant is at the forefront of discussions at this week's international AIDS conference in Mexico City. Rights activists say it shows the failure of immigration officials to deal humanely with HIV-positive inmates among the 30,000 migrants held in detention centers across the United States.
New York-based Human Rights Watch surveyed detention center officials and inmates after Arellano's death and found 14 cases in which it said HIV-infected immigrants were not given proper care while in custody of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
Presented with details of the allegations by the Arellano family and the rights group, ICE spokesman Brandon A. Alvarez-Montgomery told the AP that he couldn't comment since Arellano is suing the agency. When Human Rights Watch first presented its report in December, ICE spokeswoman Virginia Kice said "ensuring the welfare and safety of those in our custody is one of our top priorities."

HIV-positive migrants accuse U.S. of neglect | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/news/251278 - broken link)

Unfortunately, I cannot post the entire story and you need to register to read the entire content.

I posted this excerpt because while I feel sorry for those suffering with the life ravaging condition, I can't help but wonder at what point does Mexico take responsibility for the plight of its people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 01:14 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
I can't imagine going to Mexico and demanding the kind of care these people demand of us here. I think the US has been very gracious over the last century and very generous to Mexicans. I personally am very tired of the demands and wish they would go fix Mexico and demand from their government what they demand here. See how far they get.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:25 PM

608 posts, read 1,004,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
MEXICO CITY — Olga Arellano sobs as she recalls how her HIV-positive daughter spent two months succumbing to infections in a U.S. migrant detention center, complaining that she didn't see a doctor or get the right medicine.
Fellow inmates also begged for help after Victoria Arellano started vomiting blood in their holding cell, where her lawyer said 105 detainees were crammed onto bunks and mattresses in a space designed for 40.
She died three days later, chained to a hospital bed.
The death of the 23-year-old transgender Mexican immigrant is at the forefront of discussions at this week's international AIDS conference in Mexico City. Rights activists say it shows the failure of immigration officials to deal humanely with HIV-positive inmates among the 30,000 migrants held in detention centers across the United States.
New York-based Human Rights Watch surveyed detention center officials and inmates after Arellano's death and found 14 cases in which it said HIV-infected immigrants were not given proper care while in custody of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
Presented with details of the allegations by the Arellano family and the rights group, ICE spokesman Brandon A. Alvarez-Montgomery told the AP that he couldn't comment since Arellano is suing the agency. When Human Rights Watch first presented its report in December, ICE spokeswoman Virginia Kice said "ensuring the welfare and safety of those in our custody is one of our top priorities."

HIV-positive migrants accuse U.S. of neglect | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/news/251278 - broken link)

Unfortunately, I cannot post the entire story and you need to register to read the entire content.

I posted this excerpt because while I feel sorry for those suffering with the life ravaging condition, I can't help but wonder at what point does Mexico take responsibility for the plight of its people?
Though those interviewed were Mexican and rightfully so with the AIDS conference currently going on in Mexico City, this is not only a Mexican issue. We are not a developing nation (though I sometimes wonder) and should not be treating those in custody pending extradition in an inhumane manner period. If those returned have AIDS or found to carry the HIV virus, they will receive enough inhumane treatment in their own countries.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:31 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
I agree with both JDubsMom and MotleyCrew. While I certainly feel compassion for anyone with a life-threatening or debilitating disease, we have thousands, perhaps millions of legal citizens suffering from AIDS/HIV. All illegal aliens with serious medical problems need to return to their countries of origin, and petition help from them. I hate to sound callous, but they are not our responsibility.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:42 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
This is just another Boo Hoo probably exaggerated if not totally false article.

If these people had stayed in their own country and/or entered this country LEGALLY . . . this would be a non-issue.

Also, compared to the huge number of ILLEGALS who have received millions of dollars in free healthcare . . . these are isolated incidents.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:36 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,405,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I agree with both JDubsMom and MotleyCrew. While I certainly feel compassion for anyone with a life-threatening or debilitating disease, we have thousands, perhaps millions of legal citizens suffering from AIDS/HIV. All illegal aliens with serious medical problems need to return to their countries of origin, and petition help from them. I hate to sound callous, but they are not our responsibility.
Exactly. We are continually called on the carpet and slammed face down by all of the global bystanders who consider it a privilege to poke the US in the eye.

This recession is a blessing in disguise. It is serving as a wake up call for Mexico to get it's house in order and prepare for the massive influx and responsibility of their own impoverished masses.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:46 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
This is just another Boo Hoo probably exaggerated if not totally false article.

If these people had stayed in their own country and/or entered this country LEGALLY . . . this would be a non-issue.

Also, compared to the huge number of ILLEGALS who have received millions of dollars in free healthcare . . . these are isolated incidents.
It seems AIDS patients are pouring over the border for their free health care and expensive medications:

KVIA.com El Paso, Las Cruces - Weather, News, Sports - Hispanics make up about half of new HIV/AIDS infections in New Mexico

NEW MEXICO -- Hispanics now represent about half of new HIV/AIDS infections in New Mexico, New Mexico Department of Health officials announced Tuesday.

In 2007, Hispanics made up 45 percent of new HIV cases in New Mexico. Caucasians represented 33 percent and African Americans represented 5 percent of new cases in New Mexico, officials said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration