U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-06-2008, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Southern Arizona
9,308 posts, read 25,657,329 times
Reputation: 10566

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I'm waiting for the ordinance to supply pink fur lined shelters with mirrors and stripper poles for hookers.
Good One, Lakewooder . . . makes about as much sense as Shelters for Illegal Day Laborers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-06-2008, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Maybe down at the local BINGO JOINT?
ROFL!! Since I can't rep you, please accept this.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2008, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I'm waiting for the ordinance to supply pink fur lined shelters with mirrors and stripper poles for hookers.
Thanks for the laugh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2008, 06:15 PM
 
3,368 posts, read 10,273,527 times
Reputation: 1675
A roof, drinking water and restroom facilities are necessities and not luxuries. I understand that you guys are joking when you say that maybe these "shelters" should serve lobster and offer massages to the guys after a hard day's work, but these things are luxuries and don't make as much sense as providing shelter and water, especially during the summer.

I understand that the phenomenon of day laborers gather en masse is a problem in a few areas of this country and if I won't lie, I would not want hundreds of day laborers milling around my my hometown. However, even after living in the "sanctuary cities" of Miami, Boston, and New York I have never really seen this phenomenon in large scale. I understand that it is a *small* problem in some of the NYC suburbs but have never really seen it myself in a scale so large that appears to me as problematic. Though I am not "pro day laborer" I realize that for the benefit of these communities where there are many of them, it would be good to keep organized pick-up / drop-off points with water and shelter offered. The "problem" exists, so why not address it by doing the above and improving the quality of life for everyone (Americans living in these places AND, coincidentally, the illegal aliens)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2008, 06:24 PM
 
3,368 posts, read 10,273,527 times
Reputation: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Several years ago, a group of men (legal US citizens) would congregate on the grounds of a DC home improvement store to seek work from patrons. Their presence was deemed “menacing” -- resulting in the passage of an ordinance which made it a misdemeanor offense for them to “loiter” on the grounds of this store.
A childhood neighbor (who is probably in her 70's now) told me that during segregation (and after too, I think) in Miami, there were a lot of African-American "day laborers" who would do landscaping, and odd jobs like carpentry and the like. Due to the discrimination of the Anglo/Jewish/Cuban business owners against blacks, there was a high unemployment rate of African-American men and thus many waited on corners in and near downtown Miami to try to find work. This makes me think that the day laborers phenomenon is not recent... Is what my neighbor told me about Miami in the 1950's and 1960's true of other places a while ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2008, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
A childhood neighbor (who is probably in her 70's now) told me that during segregation (and after too, I think) in Miami, there were a lot of African-American "day laborers" who would do landscaping, and odd jobs like carpentry and the like. Due to the discrimination of the Anglo/Jewish/Cuban business owners against blacks, there was a high unemployment rate of African-American men and thus many waited on corners in and near downtown Miami to try to find work. This makes me think that the day laborers phenomenon is not recent... Is what my neighbor told me about Miami in the 1950's and 1960's true of other places a while ago?
We also had (mostly) Black day laborers in places like Arlington, Va. as late as the 1970's-----------difference was they were all Americans and had the right to be here (especially with the collapse of Jim Crow).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2008, 06:47 PM
 
3,368 posts, read 10,273,527 times
Reputation: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
We also had (mostly) Black day laborers in places like Arlington, Va. as late as the 1970's-----------difference was they were all Americans and had the right to be here (especially with the collapse of Jim Crow).
I wouldn't dispute that American blacks have a right to be here and that illegal aliens have no right to be here. However, I am specifically talking about the "problem" of day laborers because people speak of it as if it is only a very recent phenomenon. If this has always existed, it's not a ncessarily problem that is directly traceable to illegal immigration, is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2008, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I wouldn't dispute that American blacks have a right to be here and that illegal aliens have no right to be here. However, I am specifically talking about the "problem" of day laborers because people speak of it as if it is only a very recent phenomenon. If this has always existed, it's not a ncessarily problem that is directly traceable to illegal immigration, is it?
Irrelevant.

Our Black citizens suffered in part courtesy of legally sanctioned discrimination where those folks who 'jumped the fence' have the same rights as any other group of lawbreakers. Translation; I can understand helping out the former group for a limited period of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2008, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I wouldn't dispute that American blacks have a right to be here and that illegal aliens have no right to be here. However, I am specifically talking about the "problem" of day laborers because people speak of it as if it is only a very recent phenomenon. If this has always existed, it's not a ncessarily problem that is directly traceable to illegal immigration, is it?
I don't think anyone said that it was new. I've seen it all over So, Calif. But just because legal citizens did it, did not give Illegals the right to do it. Nor did does it justify defocating in public.

Being illegally, and without the right to work, made it that much more of an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2008, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
A childhood neighbor (who is probably in her 70's now) told me that during segregation (and after too, I think) in Miami, there were a lot of African-American "day laborers" who would do landscaping, and odd jobs like carpentry and the like. Due to the discrimination of the Anglo/Jewish/Cuban business owners against blacks, there was a high unemployment rate of African-American men and thus many waited on corners in and near downtown Miami to try to find work. This makes me think that the day laborers phenomenon is not recent... Is what my neighbor told me about Miami in the 1950's and 1960's true of other places a while ago?
The day labor phenomenon we are now experiencing is totally new to me. The situation I mentioned, involved a small number of men, no more than 4 or 5 at any given time. It also involved one particular home improvement store. Prior to the illegal alien invasion, I had never seen 30-50 men soliciting work at Home Depot or other home improvement stores. It simply wouldn’t have been tolerated, especially if they were black. This is one reason it’s so infuriating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top