U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 12:04 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,640,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Maybe they should give it back to Mexico too.
Apparently; Mexico does not Guatemala back........either it is too poor or has too many indigenous people.

The cold reality is if our Southwest devolved 'back' to Mexico-----within 2-5 years the tremendous human capital of California, Arizona, Texas, etc. would subjugate the territory of today's Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 01:55 PM

11,878 posts, read 32,936,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I was simply trying to explain why the racism screams always come up.

People say it doesn't matter to them who the illegals are, but in that same breathe they will use the example "Mexicans", then continue to bash on the Mexican country, their culture, a common generalization we see on here:

"it is embedded in all Mexicans that we must get drunk and go driving" etc.

Which is simply ridiculous if you have ever went to Mexico proper.

These constant generalizations whether warranted or not, secrete ignorance and draw the screams of racism.
I understand your argument. However, since most of the illegal aliens are from Mexico it stands to reason that the most disdain for illegals will be directed toward the country of Mexico.

BTW, I never have implied that Mexicans are drunken drivers by nature.

Also, Mexico is not a race, it is a country.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:20 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,998,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Apparently; Mexico does not Guatemala back........either it is too poor or has too many indigenous people.

The cold reality is if our Southwest devolved 'back' to Mexico-----within 2-5 years the tremendous human capital of California, Arizona, Texas, etc. would subjugate the territory of today's Mexico.
Guatemala formed itself, it didn't get seized by a much more powerful army of a much richer country.

Not that I care about the Mexico's stolen land, but I'm just saying.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:38 PM

3,640 posts, read 4,311,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Guatemala formed itself, it didn't get seized by a much more powerful army of a much richer country.

Apparently you do care or you would not have brought it up. This is nothing more than more Mexican hypocrisy.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 28 days ago)

9,064 posts, read 15,478,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Apparently you do care or you would not have brought it up. This is nothing more than more Mexican hypocrisy.
A hypocrisy that the United States funds.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:47 PM

3,640 posts, read 4,311,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
A hypocrisy that the United States funds.
Yep, we have our own idiot government to attend to but that does not mean it is right for us to just continue to accept the illegals. It also does not mean that we can not point out the hypocrisy of Mexico.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:

Yet Mexico does not seem to care............why is that?

Old 08-07-2008, 01:33 AM

3,172 posts, read 5,998,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Yet Mexico does not seem to care............why is that?
Again, the circumstances of northern Mexico being strong-armed from Mexico, and Guatemala forming its own independence were WAY different. You can't really compare the two events.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Again, the circumstances of northern Mexico being strong-armed from Mexico, and Guatemala forming its own independence were WAY different. You can't really compare the two events.
You still did not answer my question, amc760.

If I lost something, no matter the circumstances..........whether by accident (Guatemala) or by being overpowered (our Southwest)----------I would want both things back equally.

FYI: Texas also broke away from Mexico in 1836, was an independent nation for a bit then applied to join the Union yet Mexico would like to have it back.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:27 PM

1,417 posts, read 853,260 times
Mexico isn't even a poor country. Its wealth is just not distributed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or