U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 03:49 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,996,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
You still did not answer my question, amc760.

If I lost something, no matter the circumstances..........whether by accident (Guatemala) or by being overpowered (our Southwest)----------I would want both things back equally.

FYI: Texas also broke away from Mexico in 1836, was an independent nation for a bit then applied to join the Union yet Mexico would like to have it back.

People find it more offensive that a rich powerful country SEIZED northern Mexico for Manifest Destiny.

Wanting both equally? It's not about "wanting it". Its about what they are more offended by.

I never heard of any plans for the Mexican government having plans on trying to get the southwest back, or any realistic desire of reclaiming the land.

What exactly do you mean by Mexico "wanting"?
The government? The people?
I dont quite understand what youre getting at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 04:10 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
People find it more offensive that a rich powerful country SEIZED northern Mexico for Manifest Destiny.

Wanting both equally? It's not about "wanting it". Its about what they are more offended by.

I never heard of any plans for the Mexican government having plans on trying to get the southwest back, or any realistic desire of reclaiming the land.

What exactly do you mean by Mexico "wanting"?
The government? The people?
I dont quite understand what youre getting at.
Word to the wise:

NAU=Manifest Destiny IMHO.

As for people being offended; ask the Aztecs about Cortez back in 1492.

The stronger subjugate the weaker all the time-------be it economically, militarily, culturally, etc. An example of culturally would be the Jews facing the so-called 'silent Holocaust' here in the USA--------they are being loved to death. Translation: social acceptance has been causing many Jewish kids to marry gentiles with their progeny usually not being raised as Jewish.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:27 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,996,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Word to the wise:

NAU=Manifest Destiny IMHO.

As for people being offended; ask the Aztecs about Cortez back in 1492.

The stronger subjugate the weaker all the time-------be it economically, militarily, culturally, etc. An example of culturally would be the Jews facing the so-called 'silent Holocaust' here in the USA--------they are being loved to death. Translation: social acceptance has been causing many Jewish kids to marry gentiles with their progeny usually not being raised as Jewish.
But are you saying the Mexican Government actually WANTS the Southwest?
Or are you talking about public opinion of the people?

Old 08-07-2008, 04:53 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,174,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
But are you saying the Mexican Government actually WANTS the Southwest?
Or are you talking about public opinion of the people?
My guess would be BOTH, sort of a 'Manifest Destiny' of their own...

Old 08-07-2008, 04:59 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,174,996 times
Sort of like the message on the monument at Baldwin Park, Ca., you know?

Old 07-17-2009, 08:49 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,277,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
It is sad that we only allow mexico to break our laws!! if the border is close for one group of people it should be closed for all groups!!
The US is not only funding Mexico's southern border, some of the money is also given to central american countries, but it's done to prevent the flow of illicit drugs though it doesn't seem to be working.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:56 AM

32,802 posts, read 30,052,880 times
I can understand poverty because of a war or a nasty natural disaster but poverty because a population breeds like rodents just doesn't make sense. Even Deer and Rabbits won't breed if they don't have enough food.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:06 AM

1,147 posts, read 3,256,778 times
I think the vast majority of Guatemalans come to the U.S.. Not Mexico. In Mexico they would be openly, freely, legally and probably entertainingly harrassed, assaulted and abused. I think people have a hard time understanding the arguement.

The United States is a sovereign nation and has the right to dictate who it let's in to it's territory. We don't and shouldn't have to feel like we owe these squatters anything. If Mexico or any other country that sends large amounts of immigrants here values their own nations sovereignty then the arguement ends there. Go to Mexico though and you do and will see their "love of country" and the Mexican flag flowing proudly. I have no doubt Mexicans would fight and die for their mother country. SO WHAT IS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND FOR THEM. Here in the U.S., we feel the same. So unless they acknowledge this then they are basically declaring their desire to invade us for their own self interest. Countries have declared war for much less of an offense...

Old 07-18-2009, 03:31 PM

8,240 posts, read 14,900,947 times
Important to note that Mexico is NOT poor. It is one of the richest countries in the world in terms of natural resources; the richest man in the world lives there. It IS full of poor people.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:50 PM

7,653 posts, read 14,758,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
For the same reason Mexicans come to the US hoping for a better standard of living (or at least a job that pays a livable wage) - many Guatemalans sneak into Mexico!! How bad must Guatemala be?

Anyone been there?
Mexico isn't bad. It's about average, in fact above average, in living standards. Only there's a large disparity between the rich and poor which drives a lot of the illegal immigration into the U.S. But the median citizen of Mexico's life isn't that bad compared with much of the rest of the world's citizens. The PPP GDP is $15,000 and the HDI 0.829. The life expectancy is similar to the U.S.'s in 1980 or so, and the high obesity rates mean not everybody (or really THAT many) people are starving.

Guatemala, on the other hand, is a more authentically poor country. The GDP there is $5,000, and the HDI is just 0.696, making it closer to India than Mexico in development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or